why was abeerbeeg not called Gladwr

18B

think I've just answered my own question

looking at the earlier maps and when the 1858 shed opened, it looks like the railway built a row of houses "Aberbeeg" and that was the name of the shed. Glandwr at the was only a very small settlement, but by the time the new four track shed was opened in 1919 much further to the south, Glandwr had grown considerably, but the new shed retained the name Aberbeeg....  

• RMweb Gold

It was no doubt called Aberbeeg because that was the railway location, and probably because the shed it replaced was also called Aberbeeg.  The railway went, by its named locations, from Llanhilleth to Aberbeeg so Glandwr simply didn't exist as a railway location and the connection to the shed yard was in any case controlled by one of the Aberbeeg signal boxes.

I presume Aberbeeg closed as a traincrew depot in either 1964 (when the shed closed) or no later than 1968 with the introduction of Block Plan.  I can't recall that we had any Drivers based there when it was part of my patch in 1974 and there were definitely no locos stabled there by then.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Rivercider said:

On Flickr John Woolley has a picture from Sunday August 24th 1975, there are three class 37s and a class 08 stabled for the weekend.

(I searched for 'Aberbeeg 1975')

cheers

That''s interesting - I never saw any stabled up there when I went up there (daytimes and evenings)

• RMweb Gold

Come on, Glandwr isn't hard; glan doer is close enough.  Glan is 'by the side of' and dwr is 'water'.  Aberbeeg means 'the mouth of the Beeg' (spelled Big on the Ordnance Survey), a small stream whose confluence with the Ebbw (say eboo) river is near here, only yards upstream from the confluence with the Ebbw Fach (Little Ebbw) that comes down from Brynmawr (Big Hill) through Abertillery (mouth of Tyleri stream, it's confluence with the Ebbw Fach).  

You want hard, try Llanfairpwllgwyngyllchwyntrobwllgogerechllantisiliogogogoch.  There's a joke about English tourists visiting this Anglesey village, and stopping for a snack.  They ask the local waitress if she could say the name of the place they were in for them, as it was beyond them, so she obliged.  'This place you are in', she said helpfully, enunciating it slowly for their benefit, 'is called 'Burger King'...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:34, The Stationmaster said:

I presume Aberbeeg closed as a traincrew depot in either 1964 (when the shed closed) or no later than 1968 with the introduction of Block Plan.  I can't recall that we had any Drivers based there when it was part of my patch in 1974 and there were definitely no locos stabled there by then.

Mike,

Stored within my South Wales notes, records and 'Blockplan' research, I have some photos, info and sightings from as late as 1973, and later.

Regards

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 22:03, brianusa said:

Probably because no one could pronounce Glandwr!

Brian.

Of course they could pernounce Glandwr.    Round yer in Glostershire  us often talks about Glandwr Fever and the loike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:09, 18B said:

but why was Aberbeeg Shed not called Glandwr?

Quite possibly for the same reason they chose to call their Llantrisant station, Llantrisant, despite it being in Pontyclun, almost two miles from Llantrisant, and seperated from it by another village, Talbot Green.

The GWR renamed the former Taff Vale Railway "Cardiff Docks" station to "Bute Road" but there is no Bute Road in Cardiff and never has been, albeit the station was located on Bute STREET.

The GWR was renowned for confusing folk by irrationally naming stations and locations to suit themselves, not their passengers or customers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:34, The Stationmaster said:

Mike,

I have the closure date for Aberbeeg stabling point, including the details of last three locos to stable there.

It was later than you (and I) thought.

Will PM you

Brian R 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, br2975 said:

Quite possibly for the same reason they chose to call their Llantrisant station, Llantrisant, despite it being in Pontyclun, almost two miles from Llantrisant, and seperated from it by another village, Talbot Green.

The GWR renamed the former Taff Vale Railway "Cardiff Docks" station to "Bute Road" but there is no Bute Road in Cardiff and never has been, albeit the station was located on Bute STREET.

The GWR was renowned for confusing folk by irrationally naming stations and locations to suit themselves, not their passengers or customers.

Agree.  And a tradition which I managed to continue in the early using the name 'Portbury Terminal Junction' for a junction which is on the opposite side of the Avon from Portbury but leading to a terminal which is served by Portbury dock.  

Incidentally for those who might think the GWR was picking on Wales it was equally adept at giving some of its English station names very different spelling from the name of the place that station served or even the village in which the station was situated.  And it was also rather good at naming locations, such as signalboxes, after places that were nowhere near them (e.g the original and subsequent Lockinge Signal Boxes).

• Agree 1