Birkenhead Docks lines

Siphon208

It looks as if the tunnels were constructed as cut and cover, and it would be much cheaper to build vertical walls, perhaps using concrete, and then put a concrete cover slab over everything, and back fill behind the walls, rather than constructing expensive arches.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Siphon208 said:

Yes I get that, where the tunnel goes under the road- it was the covered portals I was looking at- why design them like that? I presume they were originally inside the arches too?

Ah - see what you mean, sorry - misunderstood the question.

I reckon Nick is correct. the cutting is quite shallow there, and the Haymarket above was probably cut and cover. No need for the cost of expensive portals, especially on a goods only line? Having said that, I think the passenger tunnel entrance down to Woodside was similarly 'sans portals' - again, the cover is very shallow at Town Station.

Maybe the idea was that the whole lot would be similarly covered in and built on ................ seems to be the latest 'new' idea for reducing the housing shortage in London : bury all the railways under flats ( I'm glad my rail commuting days are over ! ......... GIMME DAYLIGHT )

Update - found this at :   Birkenhead Tunnels

In 1847, a route was forged through the town to reach a new docks complex on its north side, connecting Grange Lane to Bridge End near Cathcart Street. Although mostly in a cutting known as the Sough, a tunnel was needed to pass under Haymarket.

The structure was built by the cut and cover method, and was widened prior to 1876 to accommodate four tracks. Constructed in brick, it comprises three compartments separated by arched piers which support transverse girders with infill jack arches. Some of these girders have been replaced with concrete beams, presumably when the roads above have been realigned.

The longer of the main compartments - on the west side - measures 179 yards; alongside it is a shorter compartment of 139 yards.

• Like 1