Painting teak coaches. Help please.

On 28/03/2019 at 11:19, toplink@()1989))(( said:

Hi I'm scratch building some wood bodied coaches for my layout in styrene and I hope to finish them in teak. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a "How to" thread or video perhaps. 

Thanks in advance.

Cheer's, Pete.

Hi Pete,

There's many methods of doing teak finishes and it's down to you to find the method that works for you.  I tried all sorts of things I'd seen in the mags and wasn't happy with any of them.  So  I decided to try artists' colours.

I found a mix of yellow ochre and golden ochre (60/40) acrylic made a great base coat, with a mix of raw and burnt sienna (75/25) on top after using a brown pencil to add some character.  Both coats were grained with the brush.  I then sealed and finished it with Ronseal quick drying teak varnish.  I was happy with that but became dissatisfied with the thick paint.  If you thin it you don't get the coverage.  Oil paints are great but take too long to dry.

I was pointed at Winsor and Newton Alkyd oil paint which gives a lovely thin coat which can be dragged with the brush.  You can't get golden ochre but yellow ochre works fine.  Each coat dries overnight.

Attached pic of a 7mm carriage done using this method.  My journey has taken years!  Good luck

Vernon

20190405_161640.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 04/05/2019 at 18:59, Doncaster said:

Hi Pete,

There's many methods of doing teak finishes and it's down to you to find the method that works for you.  I tried all sorts of things I'd seen in the mags and wasn't happy with any of them.  So  I decided to try artists' colours.

I found a mix of yellow ochre and golden ochre (60/40) acrylic made a great base coat, with a mix of raw and burnt sienna (75/25) on top after using a brown pencil to add some character.  Both coats were grained with the brush.  I then sealed and finished it with Ronseal quick drying teak varnish.  I was happy with that but became dissatisfied with the thick paint.  If you thin it you don't get the coverage.  Oil paints are great but take too long to dry.

I was pointed at Winsor and Newton Alkyd oil paint which gives a lovely thin coat which can be dragged with the brush.  You can't get golden ochre but yellow ochre works fine.  Each coat dries overnight.

Attached pic of a 7mm carriage done using this method.  My journey has taken years!  Good luck

Vernon

20190405_161640.jpg

Thanks for your tips Vernon. The effect you've achieved is just the job. As you rightly say, you only have to please your eye and it can take a while, so I will keep following the different methods and experiment with each until I find a method that suits me.

Pete.  

• Like 1

On 04/05/2019 at 18:59, Doncaster said:

Hi Pete,

Vernon

20190405_161640.jpg

Hi Vernon

Do you now use Alkyd paints for all layers or are they grained on top of acrylic?

Ralph

4 hours ago, One32 said:

Hi Vernon

Do you now use Alkyd paints for all layers or are they grained on top of acrylic?

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the interest.

I started using Alkyd over acrylic but now just use Alkyd.  I like the thin coat.  I'm also using a spray primer called Desert Sand or something similar from  Army Painter. It goes onto brass nicely.

Regards,

Vernon