14 hours ago, Departmental203 said:

Hi Will, this is looking really good! 37218 is one of my favourites and the wipac 37/0's are not modelled too often, I'm hooked!

Are you doing the early DRS livery or the later "compass" livery?

Good luck with this one, Jules

Thanks Jules. That’s why I wanted to model the wipac 37/0 - as you say it’s very rarely modelled. I’m going for the earlier DRS livery, I’ve sourced the transfers already from the guys at Rainbow Railways - superb service. I’m also looking at improving the bogies on this and 114 so we’ll see how that goes! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1

• Southwich changed the title to Will’s workbench - Class 37 improvements (Windscreen and bogie detailing) and other loco/wagon projects

A quick update on 37218 from this weekend. First off I’ve added the Precision Decals 3D printed air horns following their arrival yesterday. These are really nice items and look much better than the originals (albeit I’ve fitted them slightly wonky which has been since rectified!) I’ve given the windscreen/roof fan the first coat of primer, in the natural light:

FDF6DCD5-412F-43A2-A59C-4E341AAF4DE9.jpeg.91cbf048716771f59825b3180bbb87c2.jpegF646B867-BCEE-4C21-9891-BA50AC35FD93.jpeg.b356a0280683f6deae9a5917c14effa4.jpeg

Time for the cycle of sanding/filling/priming to begin! 

Kind regards, 

Will

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

Good stuff

Im looking forward to seeing how you get on with this project.

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will - I’m looking forward to the challenge!

Subframes assembled this evening:

149A163B-D2C0-45D1-A251-5F19495B1700.jpeg.112dae8a1be5499e78cede6f9e4ccb61.jpeg

Need a bit of cleaning up with a needle file but pretty pleased so far.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 6

A bit more progress on the 37 bogies this evening. I had a nice package from Shapeways arrive this afternoon, new brake cylinders. The Bachmann ones just don’t quite do it for me so I needed to find a replacement. Detail associates ones were recommended but I couldn’t find any in the UK, the same story with the spare class 50 ones I couldn’t seem to get hold of either. 

I found these ones on Shapeways and they’re a pretty good match I think. They’re HO but look very close size wise. I’ve had to chop out a bit of the arm and then glue it back together to make the actuator fit - picture below.

I’ve  also made a bit more progress on the brass sprung frames:

DA51F957-60A8-4777-A05B-879C3216D713.jpeg.3036dcac2da3c4302a92d6306085a229.jpeg

New brake cylinders on the cosmetic bogies:

70C08FBE-C3F4-49B0-B05E-C5DC3954B8D6.jpeg.f58aaaf497662af9b98f17d5daa0a5ba.jpeg

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Those window frame etched make such a difference, I’ve only done it on one of my DRS 37s and hated the process (particularly adding the glazing).

looking again it just makes such a difference I think I will have to rethink retrofitting the rest of the fleet.

Thanks Rich - I’ve also realised how difficult it is to fit the glazing as I haven’t taken enough material out of the roof. Have you got any tips of how to fit it he windows?

I definitely think it’s worth the effort albeit a long painful process! 

Kind regards,

Will

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Southwich said:

Thanks Rich - I’ve also realised how difficult it is to fit the glazing as I haven’t taken enough material out of the roof. Have you got any tips of how to fit it he windows?

Kind regards,

Will

From memory I used the laserglaze which was designed for the model and kept carving away material until it would fit, so no tips as such. 

I'm fairly sure at one end I didnt used Brian's baseplate for the new etch which I think likely made it even more difficult given the conflict between clearance for the glazing vs enough plastic for the etch to stick to.

10 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

I fitted them on 3 of mine and followed a process that was shown in Rail Express I think at the time. Basically it is much easier to spray the window surrounds separately from the body shell (having already done the work on the shell so the etch can fit) glue the glazing to the etch then glue the complete assembly to the shell. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I fitted them on 3 of mine and followed a process that was shown in Rail Express I think at the time. Basically it is much easier to spray the window surrounds separately from the body shell (having already done the work on the shell so the etch can fit) glue the glazing to the etch then glue the complete assembly to the shell. 

Interesting, I think I will have to give that a try sometime.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 37114 said:

That is such a superb idea. I really wish I’d have done that now! Instead I think I’m going to be using @The Fatadder solution of scraping away the material till the laserglaze fits. Nothing is ever simple in this model railway world eh!

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never been neat enough to be able to fit it ready sprayed and glazing fitted! Also it makes varnishing tricky.

I've had to also carve away at the edges of the laserglaze and it does help to remove as much plastic from the body as possible

On 11/11/2020 at 22:48, dj_crisp said:

I've never been neat enough to be able to fit it ready sprayed and glazing fitted! Also it makes varnishing tricky.

I've had to also carve away at the edges of the laserglaze and it does help to remove as much plastic from the body as possible

Thanks for the advice! I think that may be this weeks task after sorting the bogies with some of those nice wheels you provided me with! 

On 11/11/2020 at 23:40, NickL2008 said:

Nice, I found for my 37s the Brake Cylinders from Dapols' class 73 were a good match, need to be re-mounted but they were a good match. I used the Penbits range to make my own front bogie guards as well, Id get the kit but dont model EM/P4

NL

Thanks Nick - have you got a link to the 73s cylinders? Any photos of the guards would be great to see!

Kind regards,

Will

On 15/11/2020 at 23:06, Squirrel Rail said:

Good luck with that lot Will, I’m definitely going to stick to painting:D cheers Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I can only spray outside with the airbrush so the weather at the moment is optimal for getting the airbrush out! Enjoying the superb work you’re doing.

Kind regards,

Will

A bit more work on 37114 today following a trip to Halfords for some primer. Pete Harvey’s superb 3D printed multiple working sockets and the cast buffers from Lanarkshire have had their first coat of paint. I’ve also made a start on the brake gear on the sprung bogies:

6D7890F4-F229-4DFF-896B-E0E3666BEC75.jpeg.162925f25bce28f183ae473973456742.jpeg

Hopefully get the brake gear finished tomorrow then the sprung bogies are nearly there! 

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southwich said:

Thanks Jerry! I can only spray outside with the airbrush so the weather at the moment is optimal for getting the airbrush out! Enjoying the superb work you’re doing.

Kind regards,

Will

Must be so frustrating not being able to spray - I know my workshop heater is going to busy for a few months- time to switch off the smart meter!! Bogies are looking good must be hard keeping it all square but sure it will be worth it, they’re cracking models you’re producing, cheers Jerry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

I know the feeling, while I have a heater in the garage where I spray, the layout is also in there so I will only spray with the door open for ventilation.  So it needs to be warm ish (and more importantly dry) to use it.   So no more spraying until spring 

good progress on the chassis!  I hadn’t seen those sockets before, looks nicer than the Heljan ones I use

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Squirrel Rail said:

Must be so frustrating not being able to spray - I know my workshop heater is going to busy for a few months- time to switch off the smart meter!! Bogies are looking good must be hard keeping it all square but sure it will be worth it, they’re cracking models you’re producing, cheers Jerry

Thanks for the kind words Jerry. Frustrating indeed although it means I can crack on with detailing! Looking forward to seeing 90034 you’re doing!

22 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I know the feeling, while I have a heater in the garage where I spray, the layout is also in there so I will only spray with the door open for ventilation.  So it needs to be warm ish (and more importantly dry) to use it.   So no more spraying until spring 

good progress on the chassis!  I hadn’t seen those sockets before, looks nicer than the Heljan ones I use

You have more of a chance than I do Rich! No garage unfortunately. Thanks for the kind words. You get loads of sockets in the pack so can thoroughly recommend! Will certainly be using them in the future. A lot better than the weird Bachmann moulding on the chassis.

Kind regards,

Will

F72F34A6-C243-4958-9066-D56117DB51CF.jpeg.418edac8d61f70a2981244489a19e298.jpeg

Further progress on the the bogies today. Wheel sets (14mm black beetle wheels) and brake gear sorted for one bogie. This bogie is all but complete apart from the brake gear on the other side and finishing the drive train. I can see light at the end of the tunnel of a very enjoyable kit! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Brake gear is all but finished now on the first bogie. Really pleased with it!

624FAE6F-9C56-4519-A14B-B683EA1B5CFC.jpeg.1769b37ea8e1cb842b2a6bb777465cc5.jpegA61BB4AD-DCE2-40D5-93AA-F31D8C57F190.jpeg.ce246e077f84bd401d5ab3f201908122.jpeg4FA74527-AA77-4AC0-BA5B-44F33066F0AD.jpeg.cc50db0ed407465cc37af0a12cdb810b.jpeg

Just need to get the drive train in then I’m onto the next bogie.

The chassis has also had a slot cut for an EM2, although I’m quite tempted to go for an EM1/sugar cube as my 60 sounds superb with that combo. I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this!

25D6BD91-74E1-455B-8742-BDA99BF18DC3.jpeg.b5dac3b21701159c64b33675d1c20928.jpeg

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4