Electrofrog Point Wiring for DCC - Is this correct

chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I'm a total novice when it comes to point wiring, in my youth I used insulfrog points for simplicity but now I'm much older and none the wiser I want to do things properly and use electrofrog

Have I understood the wiring correctly? (see 'rough' diagram below)

frog crossover.JPG

• RMweb Gold

So I don't have to worry too much when weathering the track where the blade would ordinarily require a clean contact as long as I keep the tops of the rails clean

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 2

Looking at the diagram some clarification is needed. All the above advice is correct but I just want to make sure when you refer to the blades of the points that each blade has its own bond to its relevant outside rail that it touches. The diagram is not clear on this point.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Looking at the diagram some clarification is needed. All the above advice is correct but I just want to make sure when you refer to the blades of the points that each blade has its own bond to its relevant outside rail that it touches. The diagram is not clear on this point.

Yes each blade will have a bond to it’s adjacent rail

23A35FFD-0038-4256-8ABD-AF7C037EC513.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Just to stick my N Gauge nose in.

If this is N Gauge no mods are needed.

Regards,

John P

I failed to mention it’s OO gauge, I would have preferred N gauge but my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be 

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Surely in the original diagram the upper pair & the point on the right is incorrect.

It shows both blades with the same (red) polarity.

Dave.

Well spotted, a simple ‘colouring in’ mistake, should be green

Have I got it right despite colouring it in wrong?

D083BA44-E0B2-479C-B65E-D65EB3F49505.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's right.

It's also suitable for DC wiring.

When I do mine, I use jumper wires with alligator clips to start with as I never know which way the switches are going to work.

Edited by BR60103
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate i could cut the rails myself to create the gap but I can’t understand why the large Y points don’t have the pre-cut rails

I’ve tried to look into this but I can’t seem to find a difinitive answer

Im using code 100

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Have a look on DCC Concepts web site for some diagrams. There are also hundreds of things on the web ref. wiring and similar and a few of them are good:rolleyes:

Thank you, I admit I have looked on their site amongst others and they all appear to refer to the LH/RH points not the Y point

Unfortunately I’m not the sharpest tool in the box and still fail to understand why the mod is not present on the large Y point

to me this suggests that the mod is not required on Y points but that can’t be right

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thank you, I admit I have looked on their site amongst others and they all appear to refer to the LH/RH points not the Y point

Unfortunately I’m not the sharpest tool in the box and still fail to understand why the mod is not present on the large Y point

to me this suggests that the mod is not required on Y points but that can’t be right

Can you post a photo of the underside (and maybe the topside) of your Y points?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Can you post a photo of the underside (and maybe the topside) of your Y points?

EAEF3F1F-2E7E-4875-AC3E-43EB99666D27.jpeg

61EB7EFF-00BF-45A3-B224-8D604D1B396E.jpeg

The Y point also has that ugly spring box near the tie bar.....so that’ll be coming off unless the Y points I’ve bought are old stock?

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 62613 said:

You're still paid the same for rubbing out (old draughstman's saying)

I know, I’ve been a draughtsman for 27 years although these days the rubber is on CAD...... I still use the eraser button quite a bit though :laugh_mini:

• Funny 1