Electrofrog Point Wiring for DCC - Is this correct

chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

Sorry Chris - no intention of insulting intelligence.

It looks like you're there now  - good diagramme.   I do it slightly simpler with less wires.  

I don't make a separate link for the jumpers but I use the bared wires that provide track power just with the ends bared.  Less soldering this way methinks.  Down below the board I link to the polarity switch as shown in my simple sketch.  

2004108320_PointWiring.png.5a808879f4f3d9c526cbbf315604a7e5.png

NB - this is just the way I do it

Hi Alan

No apology necessary, I'm the first to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the box especially when it comes to electrickery

I'm a mechanical engineer so we normally leave this kind of witchcraft to the electricians 

Chris

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Hi Alan

No apology necessary, I'm the first to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the box especially when it comes to electrickery

I'm a mechanical engineer so we normally leave this kind of witchcraft to the electricians 

Chris

I'm the same - I have to think carefully about this stuff and usually resort to doodles to get it into my remaining little grey cell …

Incidentally have you visited Brian Lambert's site?  He has some excellent info on all aspects of layout wiring.

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/

Cheers … Alan

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2019 at 13:24, chuffinghell said:

EAEF3F1F-2E7E-4875-AC3E-43EB99666D27.jpeg

61EB7EFF-00BF-45A3-B224-8D604D1B396E.jpeg

The Y point also has that ugly spring box near the tie bar.....so that’ll be coming off unless the Y points I’ve bought are old stock?

The Y point is indeed old stock.

Edited by Alcanman
more info

The Y point has the old contact tabs attached to the point blades which Peco dispensed with a few years ago.

Also the tie-bar has a slightly thicker profile compared to the newer point. 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Alcanman said:

The Y point has the old contact tabs attached to the point blades which Peco dispensed with a few years ago.

Also the tie-bar has a slightly thicker profile compared to the newer point. 

I did notice the tabs and the thicker tie-bar

so despite being in the new style packaging and purchased from a reputable supplier as new there is a better version?.........bearing in mind these are the code 100

• RMweb Gold

The Y's are probably slower sellers than the straights and so might not have been "upgraded" yet - and may never be. Perhaps a question for Peco.

Can I ask why you didn't go for Code75?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I did notice the tabs and the thicker tie-bar

so despite being in the new style packaging and purchased from a reputable supplier as new there is a better version?.........bearing in mind these are the code 100

1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

The Y's are probably slower sellers than the straights and so might not have been "upgraded" yet - and may never be. Perhaps a question for Peco.

I agree with Harlequin. I can't be 100% certain as I've haven't bought any Y points for many years.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I'm beginning to ask myself the same question  :wacko:

It's like a Greek tragedy really:-

During the original planning stage everything was based on setrack inc. setrack points

I then changed the viewed part of the layout to streamline points but stuck with setrack points in the fiddle yard

I then changed the fiddle yard to a traverser by which time I'd already purchased all the track

At the time it didn't seem to matter because the majority of my lines are straight so I bought a shed load of the 26" long straights

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm confused now, I thought that the existing wire at the frog went through the baseboard directly to the accessory switch on the point motor to change the frog polarity depending on position the point was set.........or have I misunderstood your comment?

Huge apologies for not getting a reply to you sooner, I had to run my 13 year old daughter and her two friends across to the other side of the county, for entertainment at Centre Parcs. Allan K has stepped in very promptly and given you all the detail you need, including the latest picture above.  The groove referred to allows bags of flexibility for where the Vee dropper gets through the baseboard.  Apologies once again for the late reply, "must try harder", seems to resonate in the ears.

Regards

Julian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jcredfer said:

Huge apologies for not getting a reply to you sooner, I had to run my 13 year old daughter and her two friends across to the other side of the county, for entertainment at Centre Parcs. Allan K has stepped in very promptly and given you all the detail you need, including the latest picture above.  The groove referred to allows bags of flexibility for where the Vee dropper gets through the baseboard.  Apologies once again for the late reply, "must try harder", seems to resonate in the ears.

Regards

Julian

No need to apologise

Thank you Chris, very kind.

I notice your location.  There used to be a saying, around Staffs, that all that Leek needed was a wall around it, to complete the Lunatic Asylum.  :)   There is another about one of the inmates, but may another time.

Regards

Julian

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Thank you Chris, very kind.

I notice your location.  There used to be a saying, around Staffs, that all that Leek needed was a wall around it, to complete the Lunatic Asylum.  :)   There is another about one of the inmates, but may another time.

Regards

Julian

Sometimes I'd have to agree with that saying as I'm not originally from Leek (I have the correct number of fingers & toes as proof)

On the plus side Churnet Valley Railway is only 15 minutes away

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm beginning to ask myself the same question  :wacko:

It's like a Greek tragedy really:-

During the original planning stage everything was based on setrack inc. setrack points

I then changed the viewed part of the layout to streamline points but stuck with setrack points in the fiddle yard

I then changed the fiddle yard to a traverser by which time I'd already purchased all the track

At the time it didn't seem to matter because the majority of my lines are straight so I bought a shed load of the 26" long straights

One reason NOT to go with Code 65 would be if your collection of locos and rolling stock is "a little long in the tooth" (somewhat like me) as the larger flange depth on older profile wheels can deliver a clickety-clack over every chair and even derail at speed! Anyway, I'm sure you will be happy with your compromise and you are likely to beat me to completion!

Tony

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2019 at 23:06, Alcanman said:

I agree with Harlequin. I can't be 100% certain as I've haven't bought any Y points for many years.

Which is exactly why Peco have not yet upgraded the Y point. Slow selling, but just as well Peco keep them as part of a system.