Basingstoke club open day 13th April

NIK

Hi,

The club I belong to is currently having two open days a year and the next one is on Saturday 13th April https://www.basingstokemrs.org/open-day.html

Our last exhibition was very busy on the Saturday so here is a chance to have a less busy look at mostly club layouts including probably Santa's Globetrotting Vacation and two other layouts and a diorama built for the Great Model Railway Challenge TV show.

The open day is free to visit. If you are thinking of joining the club why not come and have a chat, we are looking for new members.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Beggarwood Lane (OO third rail finescale ) is up, running and seems ready for the open day this Saturday. Scrufts Junction (O gauge) is having detail added. The Royal Albert Bridge tribute layout (N gauge) using parts from the Brunel layout built for the final of the Great Model Railway Challenge TV show is being assembled.

Lulworth OO (steam) should be running and maybe Santa's Globetrotting Vacation from our heat of the Great Model Railway Challenge TV show.

Admission is free. There are refreshments (and toilets).

For those who are thinking of joining the club why not come along as well.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK
added extra info

As of right now I am not sure what stock is going to be running on Scruft's Junction this coming weekend for much depends upon what my Son has available.  There is a wagon building programme in progress and that is subject to life pressures and to other related railway research.  If you are attending the show and have some S7 stock which fancies a run then please bring with you.

I have put "S7" because the track has been built to Scaleseven standards and is not suitable for 0-gauge FS rolling stock (32mm or 31.5mm track gauge).

Things evolve as with any show...  latest is that some of the 2mm FS layout Canford is going to be on show.  I understand that at least one board is going to be displayed "on edge" so that visitors can see how the MERG modules and turnout servos are connected to the trackwork,   There are several club members who belong to MERG so there ought to be someone available to answer questions about modules, connectors and the concept.

regards, Graham (with the Red Hat)

Edited by Western Star

Hi,

Graham mentioning MERG has prompted me to say that there will be at least three layouts with MERG modules. Beggarwood Lane has JMRI running on a cigarette box sized computer - just providing the link to a number of tablet based mimic panels at present. JMRI was also used to edit the routes on Beggarwood.

Regards

Nick

Another day at the club working on the scenery for Scruft's Junction, we have completed the first layer of static grass along about 40% of the length of the layout.  I thought that I had bought enough stuff with two "big" bags from Greenscene and all of that has gone so no more grassing for a while.  Time to start on the repairs to the ballast.  One more day of work before the show...

Hi,

Lynton - a L&B layout will be also be on display and may have some trains running - its scenically complete and has some very nice buildings.

It was in the process of being rewired and possibly having replacement track for the open day in September but with some hard work by a new member its been fettled and shoe horned into a space.

Santa's Globetrotting Vacation is bubbling away nicely (Santa's factory contains a bubble making machine) and its Red 08 Diesel is back from its second repair and is working well.

At least two of the layouts may have Wifi control - we were trying it out on Beggarwood for the first time last night. Although one members locos could only have his locos lights controlled by the NCE handsets and not via the Loco Driver app.

If you want to ask about MERG modules you may need to ask for Clive or me, Nick.

Regards

Nick

What an enjoyable day we all had!

Lots of visitors and several filled in the paperwork, paid the cash and became members on that day.  I spent most of the day answering questions about our Severn & Wye Railway might have been - the most frequent being the reason for the name of the layout...  Scruff's Junction is a reference to Tuft's Junction which is about one mile north of Norchard.  Some youngsters kept returning to hear Duck whistle and push the troublesome trucks around.

If you came to the open day and liked the layouts then please think about becoming a member of the club, our Club Hut is open on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 07/45 until about 10/00 and on Friday afternoon from 01/45 until about 04/30.

Our Autumn Open Day is in September, date to be announced.

regards, Graham