Hornby 66s

Legend

I think these 66's have been are really good idea and I am considering in getting one.  I would like to make a small rake of waggons with the 66 but I am not sure on what is out there or suitable to go with the 66 and is not to expensive. I am possibly thinking about some tankers or royal mail vehicles. Can anyone point me in the right direction in where I need to look?

• RMweb Premium
On 01/05/2019 at 18:41, Hroth said:

Hattons possibly took as many of each livery of the Hornby 66s as they could, on the grounds that they would be popular and it would be a good idea to get them all sold before their 66s arrived.  R3778 is not UNpopular, I suppose, just not selling at the same rate as the rest, though they are now down to 7 in stock, which may be due to a realisation that there's not that many Hornby Class 66 examples left in the wild!

But without knowing how many they took, I don't think it's possible to conclude how well they have sold by looking at when they reach 10 or less in stock.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 43055 said:

I think these 66's have been are really good idea and I am considering in getting one.  I would like to make a small rake of waggons with the 66 but I am not sure on what is out there or suitable to go with the 66 and is not to expensive. I am possibly thinking about some tankers or royal mail vehicles. Can anyone point me in the right direction in where I need to look?

Thats a bit of a piece of string question, as 66’s have been everywhere and done everything, and not just in the UK.. Poland, Holland, France, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Egypt... They are like grey squirrels.. invaded and took over.

It all depends on which 66 you have though, and where & when you want to represent. GBRF tends to be greater in the south, DRS in the north, Freightliner along ports and mainline routes, and EWS everywhere. 

Back in the 90’s they ran with whatever they inherited from BR. Increasingly in privatisation their wagons are more reflective of their owners. Thats not to say they dont operate others’s wagons... I was recently at Carlilse watching an engineers train arrive... that being a DRS 66 pulling 2xFreightliner 66’s and a NR track laying train.

you probably wont go far wrong with a container train, they seem to run everywhere with every 66 operator, bar Colas, and the containers themselves are usually as mis-match of any transport company you can imagine, so you can get creative. Much of their work is trainload (ie a whole train of near identical stock, often the same colour), for a tank train Just recently Revolution trains made TEA tankers but they've flown out of the doors already.

engineers trains are safe bets too.. again anything anywhere, no fixed length of train. Finally and for fun, every 66 operator has put a 66 on a train of BR maroon mk1’s for a railtour !

if you want to be exact, then where, when and which 66 would apply,

For more specific, and if you want ideas, google the word “class 66” and the specific class 66’s number, every 66 in the UK has been photographed hundreds of times, or google the location you want and enter “class 66”... if that inspires drop another line here with what youve seen and you’ll be directed exactly where you want to go.

I would add Royal Mail is least likely, the class 67’s were specifically built for this work in 1999/2000 but mail stopped going by rail in 2003. Today only a very basic mail operation exists as EMUs between Wembley, Warrington and Glasgow... kind of laid the 67’s to waste ever since.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 03/05/2019 at 00:29, adb968008 said:

Thats a bit of a piece of string question, as 66’s have been everywhere and done everything, and not just in the UK.. Poland, Holland, France, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Egypt... They are like grey squirrels.. invaded and took over.

It all depends on which 66 you have though, and where & when you want to represent. GBRF tends to be greater in the south, DRS in the north, Freightliner along ports and mainline routes, and EWS everywhere. 

Back in the 90’s they ran with whatever they inherited from BR. Increasingly in privatisation their wagons are more reflective of their owners. Thats not to say they dont operate others’s wagons... I was recently at Carlilse watching an engineers train arrive... that being a DRS 66 pulling 2xFreightliner 66’s and a NR track laying train.

you probably wont go far wrong with a container train, they seem to run everywhere with every 66 operator, bar Colas, and the containers themselves are usually as mis-match of any transport company you can imagine, so you can get creative. Much of their work is trainload (ie a whole train of near identical stock, often the same colour), for a tank train Just recently Revolution trains made TEA tankers but they've flown out of the doors already.

engineers trains are safe bets too.. again anything anywhere, no fixed length of train. Finally and for fun, every 66 operator has put a 66 on a train of BR maroon mk1’s for a railtour !

if you want to be exact, then where, when and which 66 would apply,

For more specific, and if you want ideas, google the word “class 66” and the specific class 66’s number, every 66 in the UK has been photographed hundreds of times, or google the location you want and enter “class 66”... if that inspires drop another line here with what youve seen and you’ll be directed exactly where you want to go.

I would add Royal Mail is least likely, the class 67’s were specifically built for this work in 1999/2000 but mail stopped going by rail in 2003. Today only a very basic mail operation exists as EMUs between Wembley, Warrington and Glasgow... kind of laid the 67’s to waste ever since.

Firstly thank you for your explanation and sorry for not getting back sooner. This gives me a lot better understanding of the use of the 66's and will help me in deciding what I would like and suitable wagons that would go with them. Thank you again.

• Like 1

Put a TTS chip into LL 66 last night, swapping the Hornby speaker for one of Richard's megabass.  Plenty of room in this and after a little tweaking with the speaker position to lessen the bass, I absolutely love it, the sound is fantastic 

Off to Derails later to get an EWS version to do exactly the same.  

• RMweb Gold

These are obviously popular models.But.......considering the prototype’s prodigious haulage capacity on container trains et al........just how ( reasonably) prototypical is this new Hornby release at throwaway prices ?  

Has any Forum member put one to the test....for example would it be able to haul say 10 loaded container wagons around a 3 foot radius curve ? If anyone has tried this,then I’d be interested if they would share their experience.

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

These are obviously popular models.But.......considering the prototype’s prodigious haulage capacity on container trains et al........just how ( reasonably) prototypical is this new Hornby release at throwaway prices ?  

Has any Forum member put one to the test....for example would it be able to haul say 10 loaded container wagons around a 3 foot radius curve ? If anyone has tried this,then I’d be interested if they would share their experience.

I have my two (Biffa & 66705) seperately running 10 Dapol Super Low IDA s, ( 5 x pairs) each wagon loaded with a Stobart 45ft container, no problem whatsover, even on my third radius hidden curves at each end, there being no slippage or loss of speed that I can discern. Given the wagons have solid metal spines I was amazed, given the prior history of this motor bogie

Only caveat is that I am on DCC and the locos are each fitted with Hornby Cl 66 TTS chips, CV150 set to 1, and some small change coins wedged in the chassis cavity immediately to the rear of the motor bogie for weight.  The CV change transforms it.   See Dragon Junction on u tube.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but with Hornby announcing a batch of new liveries for their 66 in the 2020 range I thought it would be better than starting a new discussion.

Glad to see they are diversifying a bit with liveries this year, as so far they have pretty much been matching the upcoming Hattons 66. Makes sense for them commercially I guess.

Really like the look of the PD Ports DB livery, it may actually tempt me into getting my first Hornby 66.

Since they have been out for awhile now, has anybody carried out any major modifications on their models - lights, more weight, weathering etc? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richy59 said:

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but with Hornby announcing a batch of new liveries for their 66 in the 2020 range I thought it would be better than starting a new discussion.

Glad to see they are diversifying a bit with liveries this year, as so far they have pretty much been matching the upcoming Hattons 66. Makes sense for them commercially I guess.

Really like the look of the PD Ports DB livery, it may actually tempt me into getting my first Hornby 66.

Since they have been out for awhile now, has anybody carried out any major modifications on their models - lights, more weight, weathering etc? 

Whilst not done personally, it's fair to say that many people have weathered theirs, there's no shortage of photographs on the internet. Adding weight is also something that many have done, it's a fairly easy job. Lighting kits are available for this particular model from ExpressModels.

• Like 1