PECO Point solenoid problems

Hi,

Over the last few months I've been building a new control panel for our club layout and last week saw it being wired in. it was inevitable there would be a few issues but some are puzzling me. 

All the points are peco solenoids. All have been recently rewired and a common was run all the way around the layout with each motor wired to this. Individual wires were then run around to the motors to control their direction. power supply is 18v powering a large CDU that has extra caps soldered in place too. (we'll eventually be switching miniature relays at the same time to control signals etc) These are controlled by momentary switches on the panel (same ones we used on our O gauge layout which has no problems) 

Some of these motors are sticking and refusing to throw in either both directions or just one. I originally thought it could be a bit of voltage drop but the two motors controlling the loops which are furthest away from the panel are throwing fine. 

Any ideas?

Edited by Sam Moss

Does your panel use push switches or toggles?  Does each switch control just one solenoid?  When one of the affected solenoids doesn't throw the point properly, how hard is it trying i.e. does it give a weak kick in the right direction, does it just buzz, or what?  Does the affected point switch easily by means of the pin protruding below the solenoid?

I've found sticking on Peco point motors if there is even a tiny bit of resistance to the throw, for example from the baseboard against the underside of the moving bar. Misalignment of the motor so that the pole between the solenoids isn't centred can also be a problem. If the motor makes a determined noise, but no throw, I'd suggest you check the above, it should be solvable with a bit of fettling.

John.

• Agree 1

As John writes in the previous post.

Probably nothing to do with the electrical function of the solenoids. It is far more likely to be an alignment/free movement problem. I had one recently that was very difficult to get working  and a quick clear out of the hole with a round rasp and sandpaper eventually cured the problem. Any out of square positioning can also cause a problem. Oddly enough a slight angle on the pin from the vertical in a sideways direction does not seem to cause a problem.

Bernard

55 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

... Oddly enough a slight angle on the pin from the vertical in a sideways direction does not seem to cause a problem.

And a good job too, for I've noticed of late that wonky pins on SEEP solenoids seem to be more common now than of yore

Edited by spikey
clarity

Thanks for the replies. I think it was probably a mixture of baseboards moving with the weather and some motors seeing little use for months. 

I lubricated some or the problem ones and adjusted the point springs and now all working fine. some of the problem ones had peco switches bonded to them. I've removed these as we're going over to miniature relays anyway .

Thanks all.