Salvaging Tenders from the Wreck of SS Thistlegorm

Corbs

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sure it would be good to preserve them but should we be salvaging wrecks?

The Stanier Steam Society have begun initial surveys into salvaging two tenders from the wreck of the SS Thistlegorm in the Red Sea. The tenders, which are still chained to the deck of the ship, lie roughly 20 metres below sea level.
A spokesperson for the SSS said "Whilst the 8F on the seabed is probably too far gone, we're going to bring the tenders back up to the surface for the first time in eighty years and flog them off to a new-build group on facebook or something like that".
-Elephant and Train Magazine

SS Thistlegorm Shaarm El Sheikh Egypt 2014

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Don’t forget to drain the tender tank of water first though, to reduce the lifting weight.

:)

I have a spare TCDD Hornby 8f tender, I should put it into a goldfish bowl perhaps ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I recommend going to see the Vasa if you ever visit Stockholm - it is unbelievably impressive, an almost complete ship.. 

The Mary Rose is basically half a Tudor warship, enough to see how it would have looked, but sectioned like "Ellerman Lines", 

The Vasa is the real deal.

When it was recovered, it was shifted to a dry dock, still more or less submerged and dug out by the archaeologists layer by layer as the water level was lowered. When the excavation was complete,  the Vasa was floated across to its new home.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, are there any LMS locos still needing a Stanier tender ?

all i can think of is 45163/45293 and 48173, but havent they got tenders already ?

44901 but without a boiler is this any realistic chance of steaming again  ?

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2019 at 16:11, adb968008 said:

As an aside, are there any LMS locos still needing a Stanier tender ?

all i can think of is 45163/45293 and 48173, but havent they got tenders already ?

44901 but without a boiler is this any realistic chance of steaming again  ?

But tenders can be swapped around/borrowed, because the locos will never all be fit to run at the same time.

• Agree 1