Cake Box 2019 - Round 2

• Moderators

My first reaction when I saw the opening clips of the video was "Oh my god; he's going to ask them to grow weed in a cakebox now!". I look forward to seeing what the fevered imaginations cultivate for this one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

I'm imagining scenes like these:

shovel.jpg

navvies.jpg

timber shoring.jpg

but I'll need to find a cigar smoking gentleman in a tall hat to take charge.

Edited by Dickon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

My first reaction when I saw the opening clips of the video was "Oh my god; he's going to ask them to grow weed in a cakebox now!". I look forward to seeing what the fevered imaginations cultivate for this one.

Errm ... yes ... I just hope that nobody makes a hash of this challenge.

Joking aside, I'm not really sure how I'd even start with this sort of theme. To me, it sounds like the sort of theme for which everything could be OK - and everything could be disqualified - all depends on how people interpret the rules.

As for the potential concepts, I could imagine a somewhat desperate disparate selection:

• A mockup - in a similar vein to those plywood / fibreglass impressions of trains which might get built (if someone's brave enough to order them), or the clay covered styling models of cars that will probably never get built. Of course, many of these things never get past this stage (or a photo in a sales brochure) - like a Wickham railbus proposal, that apparently found its way into a sales brochure labelled "RB3" (it looked like a less "refined" version of a Pacer). However, there have been occasional exceptions - such as a "nose + part body" mockup of what became Deutsche Bundesbahn's ET403 / ET404 "Donald Duck" EMUs. http://et403.bplaced.net/web_acappella/galerie1.html

Other examples of this genre have included a mockup of one half of a Firema T68 (first generation Manchester Metrolink), which has since found its way to Manchester transport museum - and, more recently, a mockup of a projected tube train design, which was dispayed at "The Crystal", in London's Docklands.

• While on a multiple unit / railcar / railmotor theme, I also wonder about a prototype (or pioneer) vehicle - built, used (and often scrapped) years before most people here were even born. Certain of these vehicles would actually fit into an "official" cakebox, even in O gauge - while generally passable models of some of these could even be bashed using the chassis from certain Parkside guard's van kits (plus some Ian Kirk coach panels etc), fully compliant with "Rule 1", of course ... .

Could something like this be deemed to fit a brief of "a new kit"? I don't know - but, if I actually had time to build anything right now, I might be tempted (especially if I also drew attention to the use of some motor / gearbox combo that I personally hadn't used in any previous builds)

Of course, I suspect that some people might express doubts about the eligibility of builds like these - I'm sure their doubts would receive suitable consideration, if they also enter fully compliant entries that "wow" everyone who posts on this site. Until then ... .

Regards,

Huw Griffiths

(who hasn't had a decent night's kip for the last few months . Anyway ... .)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Ivor_harley said:

Phil can I still participate in the challenge even though I have missed round 1.

Yes. The idea is that they are separate competitions. You do as many or as few as you like. There's no prize for taking part in all 4 - other than the admiration of everyone else.

• Thanks 1

Think I'll sit this one out as I really need to get on with my main layout.

Did have some thoughts along a theme ………….

A man wearing a dog collar sits at his desk

On the shelf behind him is a small model of a blue 0-6-0

In front of him is a blank sheet of paper - except for a title "The Three Railway Engines"

or

A man sits at his desk

A model of a locomotive sits on the shelf behind him - named "Firefly"

On the desk is a map with a dotted line running from London to Bristol

or

A man sits at his desk

On the shelf behind him is a small railway and a radio-controlled boat

On the desk is a blank sheet of paper - except for a heading "BRM article June 2019"

Pete 

Edited by moonlight
avoiding offence!!
  • Like 3

I've found my cake box, have an idea, tried some bits which  seem to fit within the dimensions ,  and would like to have a go.

Is there going to be a thread for cake box 2019 round 2 to start a topic for this? Or do new topics go in the round 1 thread?  

• RMweb Premium

To anyone thinking about a cakebox model, can I say: "Go for it!" My entry for 2019 Round 1 was my first scenic composition, and I learned a lot, received much encouragement from experienced modellers and now have a model on display in my study.  Best of all perhaps, I'm ready to start my next project.

The theme for 2019 Round 2 gives plenty of scope for imagination - just look at the variety in Round 1.

I'm afraid my ideas (and backlog of kits) are all bigger than 8" x 8" x 6" so I'll pass this time, but only to give me time to build something else. I hope it will be as enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
20 hours ago, railroadbill said:

I've found my cake box, have an idea, tried some bits which  seem to fit within the dimensions ,  and would like to have a go.

Is there going to be a thread for cake box 2019 round 2 to start a topic for this? Or do new topics go in the round 1 thread?  

It's the 2019 thread so let's keep all the builds in here or the place is going to look like spaghetti. 

If you feel your model fits more than one theme, there's nothing to stop it being entered in more than one round either, so let's keep them together and let people explore and enjoy. I'm putting the voting link into this week's BRM Express e-shot so we are hoping for lots more interest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It's the 2019 thread so let's keep all the builds in here or the place is going to look like spaghetti. 

If you feel your model fits more than one theme, there's nothing to stop it being entered in more than one round either, so let's keep them together and let people explore and enjoy. I'm putting the voting link into this week's BRM Express e-shot so we are hoping for lots more interest. 

Thanks for that, Phil. I'll post in the 2019 thread. 

I put my votes in for round 1 when voting opened, difficult to decide as the standard was very good! 

I must say that I've been impressed by the standard of entries submitted so far, and its going to be interesting to see which one ends up as winner. Unfortunately, I was not really able to take part due to a.) a lack of time in order that I might construct an entry(s) and b.) a lack of space in which to store them, ie I'm still looking for a place to put all six of the models I built for the previous cakebox challenge! However, I dare say I may take part in any future challenge(s) which BRM may come up with. :smile_mini2: 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Good News: Humbrol have agreed to continue with tier sponsorship of the Cake Box Challenge.

No details yet, but it means we need to feature some boxes in BRM in the future, and the prize is likely to Humbrol based.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

OK, you've just over 30 hours to finish your round 2 cake boxes - on Monday we'll be calling for entries.

I can now confirm that Humbrol have agreed to give £100 of products to the winner of each round this year. It's their 100th birthday, so they are being generous.

And round 3 starts on Monday, I'm about to edit the video.

So stop sunbathing and get modelling!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators

I'll give you a week, so

3 photos + 200(ish) words to phil.parker@warnersgroup.co.uk

by the end of Sunday 7th July. I'm being generous as I'm away at the weekend so would like to kick off the voting early next week depending on workload.

Don't forget, there are £100 worth of Humbrol products up for grab!

• RMweb Premium

While there weren't as many entries in Round 2, I'd like to acknowledge the modellers who've created some very high class and imaginative entries for us to vote on: all of them are a credit to the competition and the wider hobby.  I hope they've each enjoyed the build as much as we've been able to enjoy sharing the journey on RMweb - and yes, after some careful deliberation (as they say), I have been able to vote for just one, but well done to all.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1