RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

fair enough, I missed it appearing.

I'm not sure that the benefits are worth it for me, and as long as things don't disappear from "free" membership and go over to a paid membership I will remain as I am.

I say free, however we do already pay by the advertising revenue generated by our use of the forum.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

I was thinking of joining for the BRM archive, but not if it means my posts get a badge or any other special indication.

Martin.

I was thinking of joining for the same reason, though it does make me wonder how it may affect the print sales of BRM as you are getting a years subscription included.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, cromptonnut said:

First post: 23 hours ago, that makes it still 1st April. 

PS that took 12 seconds to type.

IIRC making April fool jokes after 12 noon is not supposed to be allowed - so Andy is perfectly legitimate to make the Gold announcement when he did without ridicule.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 1

I feel some Spandau Ballet coming on......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntG50eXbBtc

The access to BRM back to the era that time forgot is a temptation, the free show admission ticket less of one and the chance to enter a raffle for an N gauge Western Pullman in its rather repulsive livery (I prefer the original Midland Pullman livery, in OO) isn't much of one at all, though its always possible to flog it in the Classifieds.  The idea of being BRANDED as a Golden One is a put-off, I'm base, common, and popular and always will be.....

I wonder if there will eventually be kudos in having an early membership?  Rather like having a single figure Party membership card?  :jester:

Good luck, hope it goes well!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

IIRC making April fool jokes after 12 noon is not supposed to be allowed - so Andy is perfectly legitimate to make the Gold announcement when he did without ridicule.

I wasn't aware that the original post (showing 23 hours ago) was hidden until today, so it isn't an April Fool joke, although it would have all the hallmarks of being one, rather like the Facebook Gold service that does the rounds from time to time.

3 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

I'd gladly pay for membership if the forum was as it was before, really not enjoying the new format, i seem to spend much less time on here now and can't find half the stuff i'm looking for.

How do you get the fine modellers back. As I've said before. It seems to becoming more about Warner's bottom line than modelling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, N15class said:

How do you get the fine modellers back. As I've said before. It seems to becoming more about Warner's bottom line than modelling.

Some of the 'fine' modellers were lost because they couldn't tolerate the less fine modellers.

There is lots of quality modelling on this site - from basic OO through to P4 (other scales also apply here).

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, N15class said:

How do you get the fine modellers back.

I'm still here ;) :jester:

3 minutes ago, N15class said:

Come on, Warners have to pay the bills at the end of it all. Remember Andy gave up his regular job to continue with RMweb

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It's just a colour, it doesn't bestow you with special powers.

I didn't need to tug on a forelock to respond to Gordon. 

The different colour to one's posts is all very well, but the question is, can we customise it how does one define it as Art?

This gold-yellow hue could be construed playful in a conceptual sense, because of the way the optical suggestions of the aesthetics notate a participation in the critical dialogue of the overarching stylistic content but I am surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the aura of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix seems very disturbing in light of the accessibility of the work. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Andy 53B said:

I was thinking of joining for the same reason, though it does make me wonder how it may affect the print sales of BRM as you are getting a years subscription included.

Digital sales increased

Print subscribers increased

Newsstand sales increased (especially over the winter period with the added-value cover gifts)

Print's not going to go away (especially in a conservative market sector) anytime soon, the trend for print monthlies/weeklies/dailies is reducing and some big names have gone already but we are playing our part in a changing marketplace.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh, wherefore hast thou gone, O wistful hue of yellow?

The pace of change on this fast-moving thread is too fast for me, I'm off to peel some vegetables.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Digital sales increased

Print subscribers increased

Newsstand sales increased (especially over the winter period with the added-value cover gifts)

Print's not going to go away (especially in a conservative market sector) anytime soon, the trend for print monthlies/weeklies/dailies is reducing and some big names have gone already but we are playing our part in a changing marketplace.

Excellent news, thanks Andy

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

if i read it correctly, I dont need to resubscribe to BRM to continue gaining access to the future BRM issues, if I join RMWeb Gold instead ?

Completely correct; you would still have access to the old issues on Pocketmags in addition to the back catalogue on Exact Editions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Blimey it’s just basically a closer link between the forum and magazine parts, a sort of second digital subscription option allowing sales as a bonus via the forum. Both Andy and Phil have said no change to normal members. 

I like the idea but as I’ve said before but digital mags don’t work for me as I can’t use tablets at work so I’ll continue with the paper ones. 

Look on the bright side if Gold members posts shine a little brighter at least you won’t get SAD reading them ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1