RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

Exact Editions standard terms of service have always been based on the “rental” model - meaning that if at anytime you stop/cancel your subscription you lose access to everything you previously paid for, including recent issues and that tempting back archive  (unless you illegally took copies manually from your screen first). 

Is is that the case with this BRM deal or have you negotiated something specific for BRM outside of their normal terms?

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

There's two of them now, revolt I say!

Oh, yes, let's all be revolting, then I won't need to practice.

I'm now under orders to peel those vegetables and deal with some chipolatas.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Exact Editions standard terms of service have always been based on the “rental” model - meaning that if at anytime you stop/cancel your subscription you lose access to everything you previously paid for, including recent issues and that tempting back archive  (unless you illegally took copies manually from your screen first). 

Is is that the case with this BRM deal or have you negotiated something specific for BRM outside of their normal terms?

You are correct. It's a 'membership' service (like Spotify) whereby you access the BRM Digital Library whilst you are a member, but once your membership expires your 'library' access expires too. We make sure this is really clear in the FAQs. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I receive far too many emails for each topic reply.  It used to be one; it is now up to five spaced minutes or even hours apart.  My inbox overflows.

I've looked at your settings Rick; it's no wonder as you've asked for emails when anything's posted to topics you've replied to.

I'm rarely experiencing any speed issues now unless I'm doing something complex in the back-end.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Hope mods have got fresh ribbon in their typewriters. 

No, but I've got some ear defenders and cyanide pills.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've looked at your settings Rick; it's no wonder as you've asked for emails when anything's posted to topics you've replied to.

I'm rarely experiencing any speed issues now unless I'm doing something complex in the back-end.

The mind boggles.:stinker:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, SteveCole said:

You are correct. It's a 'membership' service (like Spotify) whereby you access the BRM Digital Library whilst you are a member, but once your membership expires your 'library' access expires too. We make sure this is really clear in the FAQs. 

I had a quick look at the Exact Editions FAQ, it indicated that you could print an article (don't know if this is one page at a time) to PDF, which I think will be really good as it will allow you to read any relevant articles offline without having to have an internet connection .

• Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Have I accidentally reached the Dark Web? 

• Funny 2

• Moderators

If you head back into the mists of time to the first issue on Exact, January 2007, there's some good stuff!

Lydham Heath.jpg

Tim Venton's 'Clutton' 

Clutton.jpg

Jim Carter.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Interesting. The concept of investing further in a site in which I already invest a lot of time and effort in exchange for further benefits seems reasonable.  I might give it a go, if only to see if I'm blackballed ....!

So must we get the white gloves on ready ? But quite seriously we do invest time and get a handsome return......for no capital investment whatsoever.Maybe it’s paybacks time ? Some of us, as has already been posted here,subscribe to the Bachmann Collectors Club (and there have been howls of privilege on that score ) so there  is nothing new in subscribing a modest amount for something extra surely ? 

Off the the top of my head I can think of at least four so entitled “privelege” subscriptions I make and have made for the last decade...mainly to do with music and theatre...that give me and mine a beneficial edge or advantage whilst at the same time giving back much needed support to those organisations.

Life is full of choices and I really cannot believe that those who choose not to “take silk” will be in any way treated as second class citizens....they’re too damned vociferous to be ignored anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Andy 53B said:

I had a quick look at the Exact Editions FAQ, it indicated that you could print an article (don't know if this is one page at a time) to PDF, which I think will be really good as it will allow you to read any relevant articles offline without having to have an internet connection .

If it's the same as Continental Modeller on Exact Editions, you can 'print to pdf' for either an individual page or a double page. It's useful for saving those very useful articles. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So must we get the white gloves on ready ? But quite seriously we do invest time and get a handsome return......for no capital investment whatsoever.Maybe it’s paybacks time ? Some of us, as has already been posted here,subscribe to the Bachmann Collectors Club (and there have been howls of privilege on that score ) so there  is nothing new in subscribing a modest amount for something extra surely ? 

Off the the top of my head I can think of at least four so entitled “privelege” subscriptions I make and have made for the last decade...mainly to do with music and theatre...that give me and mine a beneficial edge or advantage whilst at the same time giving back much needed support to those organisations.

Life is full of choices and I really cannot believe that those who choose not to “take silk” will be in any way treated as second class citizens....they’re too damned vociferous to be ignored anyway.

My take is that the world is moving to subscription services for music, TV and computer software. There is a logic that publications could go the same way and if we want to still have jobs in a few years time, BRM needs to move with the times. On-line advertising returns are pitiful, certainly not enough to run a website of any size, so other funding models are required. The key here is to make sure the extras justify the cost, but keep them as extras. Talking to Andy, there are a few ideas floating around for things we'd like to do but let's see how this goes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

It's a privilege just to be in third class today! Hands up anyone who sat in first class with a 2nd class ticket. I always used to do it on the 5:15 Victoria to Brighton. Just couldn't stand there in first class while the seats were empty and those antimacassars beckoned. I can just see the looks on your faces, the same as the first class paying customers on the 5:15.

Come on Andy this is a railway forum you should have called it "FIRST CLASS" at the very least.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

If this is a benefit of gold membership, I'm in, big time!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, The Midland Mole said:

But at the same time it should not make it's core members feel bad for not paying.

Blimey; there's some self-cooked chips on shoulders in here. Where are we forcing or pressurising anyone? We've worked to bring a good package together for those who want to make use of it; all this talk of elitism, divisiveness and different levels of treatments is just made-up tosh. We work damned hard and imagined offence and threatened martyrdom do wrankle, I'll bear that in mind when I'm wiping someone's rear-end out of hours with a problem they've got on their PC rather than the system at this end.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, The Midland Mole said:

In the video game world this is done by things like premium skins and player titles/pictures/etc in the same way that the large gold badge and gold post surround very obviously single out those who don't have it. There is no good reason to have these when the wording under the picture and the rewards would more than suffice for gold members.

Come on. It doesn't matter how little was done, someone would complain about it. The system is similar to Flickr where you get "Pro" beside your name if you pay for the service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I have decided that Gold Membership is not for me (Fifty odd sheets a year when all I would be interested in would be an £11 Ally Pally ticket) I shall be watching this topic with interest.  Pass us the popcorn and put the kettle on, this should be a good one...  :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2