RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• Administrators
12 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I’ve been having an enjoyable read through some older issues, lots of inspirational kit building articles from Mr Wright for a start.

is there any plan to increase the archive back past 2007?

Hi. Thanks for becoming a member. At the moment there are no plans to extend past 2007. Older issues aren't stored digitally so we'd need to physically scan every page of every magazine. A huge job and one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. ha ha 

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

I wonder if someone could explain the need for and/or expected usage of the 'Exclusive RMweb Gold Private Forum'?

I've not noticed that it has been mentioned anywhere as yet.

It's really somewhere that members can ask questions about their membership, the magazine, the website, shows etc within an area that won't get busy with posts from non-members. The same moderation rules will apply.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators
11 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

A little frustrated that I paid £60 in January on Pocket mags to ‘complete my collection’ giving me access back to 2011 to find out now that I could go back to 2007 with this new offer. That said the £60 to Pocketmags gives me ‘ownership’ for a one off payment whereas if I understand correctly I will only ever be renting through Gold. Personally as I most often use an iPad for magazine browsing I find Pocketmags a better platform than Exacteditions  

Yes, you're correct. The Gold membership means you only rent the magazines, unlike Pocketmags whereby you own them and these issues include extra images, extra video etc.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Whilst I have no interest in electronic magazines and a ticket to one of the 3 shows is also not an incentive, I would be happy to pay a small premium to be able to sell items via the classified ads.

Are there any plans to allow this? (Bronze level ??)

No plans at the moment but we will constantly be looking at ways of improving the Gold Membership by adding new benefits.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, SteveCole said:

It's really somewhere that members can ask questions about their membership, the magazine, the website, shows etc within an area that won't get busy with posts from non-members. The same moderation rules will apply.

So strictly no modelling, workbench, layout, prototype discussions etc? Just checking...

6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Do people get frustrated because if they send a birthday card second class post it has a second class and not first class stamp on it, and somebody else might send one with the 'quicker' post?  

Yes, I get frustrated if I put a first class stamp on a card, and find that it arrived within the same number of hours/days as ones with a second class stamp on.  In fact, I have given up sending anything first class for this reason. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Thanks Steve, another question, will there be access to the DVD content (link to Youtube) as there is in the Pocketmags version?

Yes, there's an obvious link on the front cover of each magazine. Andy noticed 5 issues whereby it's currently missing and these will be rectified this week.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SteveCole said:

Yes, there's an obvious link on the front cover of each magazine. Andy noticed 5 issues whereby it's currently missing and these will be rectified this week.

Thanks Steve, I'm quite enjoying casting the Youtube link to my new bedroom smart TV of an evening :)

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, a bit late to the party -  which does seem to have become rather crowded so I can't be bothered to look at it all as there seems to be a lot of negativity around.  We have benefitted from a free BRM ever since warners took it on and relieved Andy of major worries about how to keep the site going and and equally relieved those members who helped out with donations to help pay the bills.  I still look forward to one day finding a free lunch but they aren't very common and it's no real surprise to me that some financial assistance would be useful to keeping this site going.   So equally no surprise that this has emerged.

So as ever the real question is what will it do for me?  Well I'm not entirely sure how much 'free' access it would give me to current issues of BRM but that might well save a sub and an awful lot of shelfspace - - an interesting one that.  But what about the rest - well i go to one Warners show a year so box ticked; I tend to use my PM space as a long term reference so another box ticked; I need to do some pruning of books and possibly some model railway stuff and have been wondering about a suitable route to do so - another box ticked; huge images might help, not so sure about that but perhaps occasionally useful; dunno about a private image gallery - how secure is 'private'?; and no so sure to what extent I'd use the Gold forum but I can think of a couple of areas where it might be useful.  What is missing is a glod trypo chucker but that would be asking for the moon of course (would it?)

And all that for less than a quid a week (depending on how one pays) - what else can you buy for that?  Yes, so I'll be signing up once a couple of other little jobs are out of the way this week.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Not for me. No benefits for me.

I can see how it might benefit others.

As for the Classifieds I can sell and advertise for free on FB if or when I need to.

Also I don’t read BRM & I don’t want to. 

Not being negative just stating a fact.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Thanks Steve, I'm quite enjoying casting the Youtube link to my new bedroom smart TV of an evening :)

Sounds like a candidate for the new service we have been developing where full-size holographic versions of the team are beamed into your house at random intervals. Imagine the joy of waking up to Andy Y standing at the bottom of your bed explaining the difference between steam boilers in Class 47 locomotives. Can there be a better start to the day?

Gold members get an off switch :mocking_mini:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

there seems to be a lot of negativity around.  

2 minutes ago, AeBor said:

Not for me. No benefits for me.

I can see how it might benefit others.

As for the Classifieds I can sell and advertise for free on FB if or when I need to.

Also I don’t read BRM & I don’t want to. 

Not being negative just stating a fact.

Nope it's negative, why else bother posting it.

I always threw money in the pot before and will arrange to contribute for the future.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, chris p bacon said:

Nope it's negative, why else bother posting it.

I always threw money in the pot before and will arrange to contribute for the future.

Oh, so stating an opinion is not allowed?

I’m not a ‘Yes man’. Good for you if you fancy throwing money in the pot.

As I said it is not for me.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AeBor said:

Oh, so stating an opinion is not allowed?

I’m not a ‘Yes man’. Good for you if you fancy throwing money in the pot.

As I said it is not for me.

There is no such thing as 'free speech' and Some opinions are best kept to yourself. .... I've got one right now I won't be airing.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I've got one right now

I've got one too, I've got a parcel to post later so I'll shout it into the postbox for good measure (I'm old-fashioned in some ways).

I blame Robert Robinson and Barry Took for all this you know.

• Funny 7

18 hours ago, Hroth said:

I wonder if there will eventually be kudos in having an early membership?  Rather like having a single figure Party membership card?  :jester:

A single figure Peterborough Co-op "divi" number was the real deal. My grandmother had one of those - or at least it was low double figures. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

Can we see a video demo? That would be fascinating! :)

No, but I'll get the postie to do an unboxing video of the post box.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

14 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

As BoD says, if you don't want Gold, don't sign up for it. RMweb will work just as well as it did ten minutes earlier, and it will continue to do so. You'll find the same people, the same modelling, the same bad jokes and the same whinges. 

Guess that's why no GOLD MEMBER logo/medallion appears on the posts of Phil Parker, Steve Cole and Andy Y ~ they haven't bought into it.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 4railsman said:

Guess that's why no GOLD MEMBER logo/medallion appears on the posts of Phil Parker, Steve Cole and Andy Y ~ they haven't bought into it.

What if its. White Gold

Would we see it

• Agree 2

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, 4railsman said:

Good point! Oi, Andy...where's my medal?!

• Funny 5