RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Nothing to do with Gold (although there's been a security patch release applies to the software suite this morning), I have sent a reply to your message to say that another users has reported similar problems with FF which started this morning. I have tested it with FF 66.0 at this end and can't replicate the issue to diagnose further.

Did seem odd. It will be the security patch then. Same sort of thing often happens with patches.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, raymw said:

It's very slow 4 me, using firefox. To the extent of almost unusable. Not tried other browsers

Slow on IC too. But then our internet speeds round here are awful.

It was not just slow on Firefox, most features not working at all. I was unable to reply to posts, send messages, scroll down to "further posts" etc.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2019 at 16:03, Captain Kernow said:

This gold-yellow hue could be construed playful in a conceptual sense, because of the way the optical suggestions of the aesthetics notate a participation in the critical dialogue of the overarching stylistic content but I am surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the aura of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix seems very disturbing in light of the accessibility of the work. 

That's like a message over  PA system , you can hear it but you can't understand a flippin word .  :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

In introducing this service, those clever software boffins seem to have blackballed anyone who uses Firefox. Any one else been unable to use most of the RMWeb features since this "upgrade"?

I'm on Firefox 66.0.2 and it works as well as ever for me.

Hmmm. I don't have any issue with the concept in general, and the digital archive and free show ticket seem to be good selling points. But I'm less keen on the idea of restricting classified adverts to Gold members. The problem with that is that it reduces the value of classifieds to buyers as well as sellers - it will inevitably mean there are fewer items offered for sale than would otherwise be the case. Which means buyers are less likely to use that as their first port of call when looking for something, which in turn means less custom for the sellers. It's a bit of a vicious circle which acts in the opposite way to the dynamics of most successful online sales sites - the important thing is to maximise the numbers of both buyers and sellers.

Maybe a better solution to this would be to open classifieds to everyone, but make listings free for Gold members while others have to pay a per-advert listing fee.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Maybe a better solution to this would be to open classifieds to everyone, but make listings free for Gold members while others have to pay a per-advert listing fee.

Good point Mark

I thought RM v1.0 classified ads was reasonably good although was it a minefield to moderate?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gordon s said:

What do you need to know, Mike? 

I'm on a Mac and it's working fine....

Gordon,

Thanks for that.  As I say I think I've joined having filled in and sent the necessary form although I've not yet got the badge so to speak.  I then clicked on the link to download the BRM digital library and I repeatedly get a message telling me it is for ios devices only.  On Steve; 's advice I've tried it via Firefox instead of Safari but get exactly the same result every time.

Running High Sierra Version 10.13.06 and I know that some earlier versions of Mac software did allow ios downloads but it has been blocked (or not enabled?) on more recent versions.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Gordon,

Thanks for that.  As I say I think I've joined having filled in and sent the necessary form although I've not yet got the badge so to speak.  I then clicked on the link to download the BRM digital library and I repeatedly get a message telling me it is for ios devices only.  On Steve; 's advice I've tried it via Firefox instead of Safari but get exactly the same result every time.

Running High Sierra Version 10.13.06 and I know that some earlier versions of Mac software did allow ios downloads but it has been blocked (or not enabled?) on more recent versions.

Mike,

I just went to the eaxct editions site to sign up, then I cuold view mine on a PC, I am fairly sure that works in Macs as well.

I think you only need to download an app if you are using something other than your computer i.e. (iphone or similar).

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

OK. I'm on 10.14.3 OS Mojave and Safari 12.0.3 so slightly newer software. I received an email from subscriptions@warnersgroup.co.uk and in that was a subscriber number and this link...

https://login.exacteditions.com/checkAgency.do?titleId=23246

Clicked on the link and added my subscriber number and postcode and then my email address and password. I left in the space in my postcode after the RG** and the numbers.

That brings up this page...

135587133_Screenshot2019-04-03at16_47_10.png.2070efdf787f9e23245accf023f4e33c.png

Didn't touch the free iOS app and just clicked on 'here' and job done....

The content is brilliant and well worth the gold subscription for the magazine content on it's own.

Only negative from me is that it appears you have to enter your details again at login. My Mac enters my email and password, but you have to enter your subscriber number and postcode every time. Maybe, I'm missing something.....

Edited by gordon s
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

In introducing this service, those clever software boffins seem to have blackballed anyone who uses Firefox. Any one else been unable to use most of the RMWeb features since this "upgrade"?

YEP

First thing this morning all was well with Firefox, but now only the info drop box functions and access to the forum ok, but cant send messages .

perfectly functional using Opera  .

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for that Gordon - looks like I might have not done something right on the registration page as I never got that second page up.  I've just gone through it again and this time I got that page - and duly clicked on 'here', and lo and behold I am there.    What I've now done is save that page on my Reading List so I can go straight to it although I don't know if it will update with each new issue using that method.

Steve is being very helpful and is looking at the question of using the other link with a Mac so some positive marks all round on this one.  As a matter of interest I have calculated that once my subscription to the paper version of BRM is cancelled the move to RMweb Gold membership will cost me an extra 3p per annum compared with current expenditure plus a free show ticket so it is a good bargain.   I do however hope that this new approach with RMweb doesn't cause too much of an upset with the magazine side of things if other subscribers migrate in this manner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, raymw said:

It's very slow 4 me, using firefox. To the extent of almost unusable. Not tried other browsers

Slow for me on Chrome, and occasionally times out with a (from memory) 502 error. It's been like that ever since the upgrade

This probably belongs in a different thread

Richard

• Agree 2

I'm nothing if not awkward ....

This initiative appeals to me.  The benefits are fair - I doubt I'll have time to read lots of mags, but it'll be helpful to have more message capacity and it might encourage me to have a gallery.  the free ticket will be welcome, and encourage me not to say "maybe next year" when some shows come round.  So, all good.

My main motivation, frankly, is not the benefits but because I feel it gives me an opportunity to support RMWeb, an important part of my daily life.

The thing is, would I have to have the shiny gold medallion?

You see, I do suffer from Extreme Diffidence Syndrome. I'm the sort of chap who would give money to a flag day, but decline the "look-at-me-I-gave-money-badge".  I realise that there are other, better, ways to think about that, like showing support for the Good Cause concerned, but that's just how I am.  The exception is the poppy, as wearing that is an act of commemoration, but I digress.

Down in the pre-Grouping enclave, they're a bit, well, old fashioned, about things, too.  In such company, swaggering around with a gold medallion would feel, well, like swaggering around with a gold medallion.

Not all of us can quite carry that off ...

Bob Guccione.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

Hi...

Just for info......

Have accessed the 'back issues' without any seeming hitches so far with Chrome.....after activating the membership.....

Great to have access to these....

Regards always

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, BobM said:

Hi...

Just for info......

Have accessed the 'back issues' without any seeming hitches so far with Chrome.....after activating the membership.....

Great to have access to these....

Regards always

Bob

Is there any way of saving a copy easily, as a pdf for example?

Hi All....

It was amazing and in one of those 'spooky' moments to find in the first magazine in the archive which I opened up , immediately went to a splendid article on Borchester Market.....it was a recent article on it's 'recreation' which set me off back into railway modelling and to gain access as a member to RMWeb a few years ago.....!

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Regard the back issues do the videos play on a tablet or phone (iPhone/iPad)?

i can access the back catalog without a problem on both devices but the ‘click here for video’ on the front page of each issue does nothing

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ROSSPOP said:

YEP

First thing this morning all was well with Firefox, but now only the info drop box functions and access to the forum ok, but cant send messages .

perfectly functional using Opera  .

I had the same issue with Firefox , cleared history, cache etc and disabled addons and plugins, by  elimination once a google add on was disabled everything was fine.  Not a clue why though!!