RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Corbs said:

heheheheHAhehahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHAHAHAHAHAHHOOHOOHOOMUHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

COWER BEFORE ME, ORDINARY CITIZENS, FOR I HAVE ACHIEVED GOLDNESS.

BASK IN THE REFLECTED GLORY OF MY GILDED GLOW. DANCE, DANCE FOR ME, ME, THE GLORIOUS GOLDEN CORBS, YOUR LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS, YOUR BRINGER OF BODGERY, YOUR DELIVERANCE FROM ACCURACY.

SUBMIT YOURSELVES UNTO MY RULE AND I SHALL GIVE YOU A BIT OF GOLD OR MAYBE A HIGH FIVE.

You're the guy in black, Corbs?

Edited by 57xx
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RichardS said:

.... In time it is inevitable that only subscribers will be allowed to post on the forum except perhaps in a guest area.

For the present such moves will be denied but this is what I would be looking to do if RMWeb is seen as a future revenue stream for Warners. ....

Andy has already said that that this will not happen but I appreciate that there's a worry along the lines of your second point. I'm also aware that any denial from Andy/Warners is open to suspicion if you're of a suspicious mindset. However I can't see posting being restricted to gold member subscribers because it would undermine the very thing which makes the forum attractive namely the sheer spread and variety of content. Artificially restrict that, RMweb becomes less attractive, people drift away (both gold and ordinary), RMweb becomes even less attractive, more drift away, over time RMweb withers, downward spiral. I can't in all honesty see such a step being taken.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neil said:

Andy has already said that that this will not happen but I appreciate that there's a worry along the lines of your second point. I'm also aware that any denial from Andy/Warners is open to suspicion if you're of a suspicious mindset. However I can't see posting being restricted to gold member subscribers because it would undermine the very thing which makes the forum attractive namely the sheer spread and variety of content. Artificially restrict that, RMweb becomes less attractive, people drift away (both gold and ordinary), RMweb becomes even less attractive, more drift away, over time RMweb withers, downward spiral. I can't in all honesty see such a step being taken.

I think "over my dead body" might be a better response from Andy ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'm also aware that any denial from Andy/Warners is open to suspicion if you're of a suspicious mindset.

Seven years ago when Warner's took ownership of RMweb there were several who said that users would be charged to use the site; it didn't matter what I said in response to some. It was also going to be the death of the forum. The death of the forum would have happened if ownership hadn't transferred as the costs exceeded what would be sustainable on a personal input/donations basis.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• Administrators
2 hours ago, RichardS said:

Looks to me like a straightforward monterisation exercise of a social media service. If RMWeb Gold replaces the digital subscription at no premium then I can't see what is in it for Warners unless additional digital subscribers are recruited.

This would probably happen over time anyway with demographic changes but I suspect this is a ploy to acclerate the process with thee ultimate goal of ending the hard copy magazine.

In time it is inevitable that only subscribers will be allowed to post on the forum except perhaps in a guest area.

For the present such moves will be denied but this is what I would be looking to do if RMWeb is seen as a future revenue stream for Warners.

Either that it load it up with advertising - which of course will be in the digital magazine anyway.

We shall see.

So basically, we are all doomed and Andy and I are lying to everyone. Cheers for that. 

What is inevitable is that any service that costs money to run, needs to bring in an income. We've already seen people on this thread boasting that they won't buy the magazine currently subsidising RMweb and that they block all adverts and any other way of bringing in some money - but that they have some sort of "right" to a free-to-use forum. 

In the past we have explained how subscriptions and especially digital ones, are more profitable for Warners - that's why they are pushed with more content for less money.  If everyone bought digitally, we'd be a lot happier. You are correct that overall paper magazine sales are dropping. We're holding up because of our conservative market, but others are in freefall. Should we ignore this and plug on without making any changes or trying anything new? Many people think that's exactly what we should do, but then it's not their livelihood at risk. 

As others, including me, have said. Any forum needs a large body of people posting to keep it alive, which is why RMweb will always be free. Long term, RMweb has to be a revenue stream - Warners are lovely people but they can't afford to run it at a loss. I know this sounds terrible to some, but it's true. Gold simply means there is an incentive to make RMweb better as it means more visitors and more potential digi-subscribers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I signed up for Gold for several reasons, the main one being access to the BRM Archive.  I no longer have space to store past issues, so having them available on line is really useful.  For the time being I will retain my paper subscription, when it next renews I'll think about what to do.  I am used to the Exact Editions site as I have a subscription to  Continental Modeller and use it to access back numbers.

in due course I will put some photos in an album in the Gallery, probably more recent ones than in my current thread.

The upload limit being removed won't affect me much as I prefer to upload smaller file sizes.  It may be useful for the occasional image which simply does not look good when compressed too much.

All in all I think it is a good idea and I don't think it is at all elitist - it simply enables me to do some things more easily than before.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It isn't I'm afraid Matt so it's a case of reviewing your options when it comes to your year end.

No problem Andy, I thought that would be the case but you dont get if you dont ask :good_mini:  I've been toying with buying the back catalogue anyway so might just do the sub instead as it goes back another 7 years (got to have SOMETHING good to read while I ignore SWMBO)  and the thought that otherwise your short little legs will have to tread up and down the high street, cap in hand, gathering some coin to feed the hamster  :cry:

Edited by Mattc6911
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

6 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Can't afford Gold? Still want a little medal on your profile?

Have no fear! RMWeb Tin is here to solve all your problems!

What is RMWeb Tin I hear you ask?

RMWeb Tin is the same RMWeb you have always had, and will continue to have, except it comes with a little medal on your profile! and even better it is FREE!

739404631_RMWebTin.png.b554f76f3171c13a453e907e3dd7c501.png

Hilarious, Gary, well done.

There's an "ad blocker"?

Always the last to know ...

Anything that supports the permanence of RMWeb or BRM is a good thing, and it seems that this initiative will, as the management here have been at some pains to point out.  Given that, perhaps we could have a less flashy and more pre-Grouping way to support the forum in the form of "Cast Iron" membership? 

Anyway, back to work, 'cos I've got an extra fifty squids to earn this week. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Can't afford RMWeb Gold? Still want a little medal on your profile?

RMWeb Tin is the same RMWeb you have always had, and will continue to have, except it comes with a little medal on your profile! and even better it is FREE!

How do I get RMWeb Tin?

It's quite simple really, all you have to do is download the image attached below, and set it as your profile picture! It's really that simple!

Please note RMWeb Tin is an independent product and has no affiliation with Warners or RMWeb.

The RMWeb Tin team ask all users of our service to disable your ad blocker on RMWeb to help support the site! We are getting it for free, a couple of adverts isn't much in return!

In a moment of mad altruism a long time ago, I whitelisted RMweb to support the site. I use Adblock Plus, its amazing how much dross some sites push in their webpages, even more amazing that some complain that you're adblocking them. Naturally, I don't bother with those sites again...

Anyhow, the TIN badge, like it lots.  Personally I think that now there's the GoldMember standard, the PBI should get a nice silver/tin placeholder (bronze would be tonally too close to gold) to denote ordinary membership.  I don't want to give up my avatar!

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Thanks 1

Seeing all this and talk of when Warner's took ownership of RMweb reminded me of the Modelling Inspiration digital Ezine for want of a better description.  I found that very enjoyable and informative in fact I still have them stored on my PC in PDF format for occasional re-reading.

Sadly there were only 5 issues released with about 70 pages on average in each but I think it was in 2012 and despite assurances of it will continue it got dropped, it is still sadly missed by me.

I did try some of the other products on offer from Pocket mags but found difficulties with them, mainly being a pain to set-up and use so I haven't tried anymore.  

I'll be interested to read peoples comments on the Gold Standard flexibility of use, content interest and any couldn't now live without it reasons.

Cheers.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

There's an "ad blocker"?

Always the last to know ...

James,

Ad blockers are add ons you can get for most browsers, I have one, but it is disabled on RMWeb.

16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In a moment of mad altruism a long time ago, I whitelisted RMweb to support the site. I use Adblock Plus, its amazing how much dross some sites push in their webpages, even more amazing that some complain that you're adblocking them. Naturally, I don't bother with those sites again...

Hroth

I have always had RMWeb whitelisted, I only have AdBlock Plus installed for those sites that push obtrusive ads, I have never had a problem with the sort on RMWeb, and find it astounding that others do

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I don't want to give up my avatar!

Neither did I! but I felt the joke wouldn't have worked if I didn't

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

How do I get RMWeb Tin?

It's quite simple really, all you have to do is download the image attached below, and set it as your profile picture! It's really that simple!

Please note RMWeb Tin is an independent product and has no affiliation with Warners or RMWeb.

The RMWeb Tin team ask all users of our service to disable your ad blocker on RMWeb to help support the site! We are getting it for free, a couple of adverts isn't much in return!

:laugh_mini: Brilliant!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

How do I get RMWeb Tin?

I'm assuming then as a non-gold member and a model railway novice I'll have to go for the brown plastic button of shame

button.PNG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 13

• Moderators
On 02/04/2019 at 15:30, martin_wynne said:

I was thinking of joining for the BRM archive, but not if it means my posts get a badge or any other special indication.

I have now got an option for this (which will give access to the additional Gold facilities) but you would have to drop me a message after you've set up the subscription with the office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

You're the guy in black, Corbs?

Fun fact: This was supposed to be a big fight, but Harrison Ford had problems in the back end so they improvised with this scene instead.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I have got a lot out of RMweb over the years (!!) and also think that Warners have been very good "parents" to the forum since getting involved, so have signed up.

If this "Gold"  initiative helps Warners to make some money out of their involvement  in RMweb then great - I really hope they do, they deserve some reward other than just a place in model railway heaven. And thanks to Andy and Phil for their continuing good-natured participation, I know we can all be rights pains at times and the scale of this operation is by now pretty mind boggling.

And there are benefits too - what's not to like?

Going back to Warners, I will never forget the RMweb live experience at the Ricoh Stadium in September 2014, one of the very best events I have ever attended. I know it had a few issues with date clashes etc, but it was so innovative in so many ways, just brilliant, not to mention friendly and generous spirited. I will always retain huge admiration for the sheer chutzpah and bravery of the whole venture.

What a fantastic hobby this is, I count myself very lucky to be involved in it.

Good luck with it all, hope it works brilliantly.

Simon

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I am looking at an additional level, that of Purist. Your avatar is a sheet of brass and a soldering iron, you won't get any benefits (in fact many forum features will be removed), you won't be allowed to access any RTR manufacturers sub-forums and the system will automatically post in any MRJ topic that you are looking forward to reading this issue.

Heaven...

Does it come with a tweed jacket?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I suppose that we who enjoy the camaraderie / education / information / entertainment (in the spirit of Lord Reith) that RMWeb provides should remember that some people are employed by Warners to provide this (even if it is their dream job). That therefore suggests that there should be a cost to us as users. As a subscriber to the BRM magazine, is there a deal that elicits joint subscriptions? If so, perhaps it could be called "Gold Top" in recognition of the cream rising etc.... Can't beat a bit on your weatibangs you know!

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Heaven...

Funnily enough I did think about a bloke who carries a lump of iron ore round with one of his layouts when composing that. :p

• Funny 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I will never forget the RMweb live experience at the Ricoh Stadium in September 2014,

Nor will I!

Every now and again people will wear their "I was there" war reminiscences in conversation; a remarkable event which underlined a major armchair level of participation.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1