RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

One though that has occurred to me is whether you could offer access to the digital copies of Garden Railway or Narrow Gauge World magazine instead of BRM. RMWeb has sections for both those topics so they might be more relevant to some and attract addition people to sign up? 

Stop reading my mind.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mikkel said:

An online option seems to be on the way, I'll sign up when it's up and running:

Likewise........I assume that there will be an announcement when the on line facilty is available?

RMWeb is an amazing resource and has provided me with hours of entertainment. Happy to help support it.

Not sure what I will do with the exhibition ticket though.:rolleyes:

Regards from Vancouver

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That's the closest ANTB will ever get to being an exhibition layout.:jester:

But Rob, it is an exhibitionists' layout and that is why we all flock to perform on it. No, you are not an exhibitionist (unless you want to be of course) but the rest of us are truly blessed with that ability.

Ar$£ 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I have been ploughing through this thread from the beginning to see whether there is a reference to personal galleries, but the thread is going so fast that I may never get to the end if I try that approach. I see that gold members can have personal galleries - I can't remember whether they were limited in capacity. I also see that ordinary members will not be getting less than they were. Well I can't find my galleries, which I uploaded for everyone else's benefit - not mine, as I have all my photos, my dad's photos and a collection of old coloured railway postcards. There certainly doesn't seem to be an index tab in my personal menu. If they have been lost in the change, that will be sad for those that found them interesting, as I really have too much else on to reload them.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I have been ploughing through this thread from the beginning to see whether there is a reference to personal galleries, but the thread is going so fast that I may never get to the end if I try that approach. I see that gold members can have personal galleries - I can't remember whether they were limited in capacity. I also see that ordinary members will not be getting less than they were. Well I can't find my galleries, which I uploaded for everyone else's benefit - not mine, as I have all my photos, my dad's photos and a collection of old coloured railway postcards. There certainly doesn't seem to be an index tab in my personal menu. If they have been lost in the change, that will be sad for those that found them interesting, as I really have too much else on to reload them.

If I click on your username and click the ‘Albums’ tab there are approx 50 sepatae albums of different photos. Isle of wight, maps etc etc

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

If I click on your username and click the ‘Albums’ tab there are approx 50 sepatae albums of different photos. Isle of wight, maps etc etc

If I click on my username there is no Albums tab!!!!!! Maybe you can see them because you are a Gold member - which tells me that as an ordinary member not only I am not getting the same service as I used, but that I need to get Gold to see my own stuff!!?!

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

so I actually work for Microsoft in the UK and while this is sad Microsoft don't own the intellectual property in those books either. What I can tell you is that if you put your stuff on our cloud then it's still your stuff.  If that wasn't the case no one would use it especially not the NHS or the other government departments I work with to pay for my trains.  so your stuff is safe with us though I don't think RMWeb runs in our data centres    

Edited by deepfat
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

So basically, we are all doomed and Andy and I are lying to everyone. Cheers for that. 

What is inevitable is that any service that costs money to run, needs to bring in an income. We've already seen people on this thread boasting that they won't buy the magazine currently subsidising RMweb and that they block all adverts and any other way of bringing in some money - but that they have some sort of "right" to a free-to-use forum. 

In the past we have explained how subscriptions and especially digital ones, are more profitable for Warners - that's why they are pushed with more content for less money.  If everyone bought digitally, we'd be a lot happier. You are correct that overall paper magazine sales are dropping. We're holding up because of our conservative market, but others are in freefall. Should we ignore this and plug on without making any changes or trying anything new? Many people think that's exactly what we should do, but then it's not their livelihood at risk. 

As others, including me, have said. Any forum needs a large body of people posting to keep it alive, which is why RMweb will always be free. Long term, RMweb has to be a revenue stream - Warners are lovely people but they can't afford to run it at a loss. I know this sounds terrible to some, but it's true. Gold simply means there is an incentive to make RMweb better as it means more visitors and more potential digi-subscribers.

I cannot see that I named any individuals Phil or suggested that anybody is a liar. That is your incorrect interpretation of the points I made.

Publishers are fickle, titles change hands, new editorial regimes arise. You nor Andy York or anybody else can guarantee anything will be so in the future.

Yes, as of today, there may be no intention to change anything. But in a year, two, three who can say. And I was looking into the future in my comments.

As I concluded we shall see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have now got an option for this (which will give access to the additional Gold facilities) but you would have to drop me a message after you've set up the subscription with the office.

Thank you Andy, I do appreciate the fact that RMWeb (and BRM) is run by people who are responsive and engaged with the issues.

I will sign up when I've worked out when my magazine subs fall due and when the process is online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If I click on my username there is no Albums tab!!!!!! Maybe you can see them because you are a Gold member - which tells me that as an ordinary member not only I am not getting the same service as I used, but that I need to get Gold to see my own stuff!!?!

attn. Phil Sutters

Hi Phil, your albums are there - I'm not a golden boy. On the faded blue stripe on your details page.

Edited by raymw

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, RichardS said:

But in a year, two, three who can say

You certainly intimated that you felt you know better than we had already stated. Of course that's bound to irritate.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

:rolleyes:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/14351-phil_sutters/&tab=node_gallery_gallery

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Running short of storage space I took a year of old magazines off the shelf recently. I went through them and found an average of one article per issue that I wanted to keep for future reference so I don't think I would have a problem saving the pages I wanted.

The trouble is, my interests change over time so what I save today isn't so interesting in 5 years time. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You certainly intimated that you felt you know better than we had already stated. Of course that's bound to irritate.

I'm sorry you read it like that however, I fail to see any intimation in it myself. It's simply a forecast of how I suspect things might develop in the future.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks Andy. I don't know why I didn't spot that tab - it's big enough. I was looking for it in the drop down menu at top right, where I think it used to be. I didn't expect to have to click on my ugly mug.

Thanks to others who tried to help!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I will be a gold member shortly to help support the forum, after all it is only fair as a trader as one of the topics it hosts promotes my products in that sense.

I have had advertisement banners in the past to support the forum but havnt done anything for quite some years.

I enjoy looking through the forum when I need a break in the evenings or stuck for 45 minutes or more in the middle of no where having to take my legal break from driving.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

I had intended to try and keep up with this thread but it's impossible!

For several reasons I have decided that gold membership is not for me.

It'll be slightly intriguing to see where this goes from here, it's been said that there are no plans at present but it in future maybe the only way to use the forum would be to pay.

I don't want to sound like Mr grumpy here but the cost of living isn't getting any cheaper not to mention the rising cost of our hobby, charities wanting help etc. And then what happens one day when the forum is upgraded and everything is lost, or will content saving be another benefit for gold members?

It's an interesting approach, but if people are going to spend their hard earned money they like to feel it's worth them doing so.

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901

6 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

but if people are going to spend their hard earned money they like to feel it's worth them doing so.

And they will, as they feel the benefits are worth the pretty much similar  very insignificant cost of a monthly  paper magazine, and have made the decision themselves to sign up.

Not quite getting your point.

Edited by blueeighties
Typo