RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• RMweb Gold

to me there feels no extra ‘benefits’ as such as I don’t use the galleries and the extra PM space is neither here nor there to me either but when it only costs me just under £1 a quarter extra to switch from the printed mag to RMweb gold with the ‘bonus’ of a free ticket to a show and back catalog of BRM then it’s a no brainier as the site is a great resource, lots of friendly people etc

the flip side is the likes of Flickr pro, I’ve not signed up for that as I really see no point in paying for that as all I used it for was putting nice pics up on line, I didn’t use it for on line storage or linking pictures just there for my own vanity purposes to get ‘likes’, I can still use it for research purposes as before but I’m not paying £50 a year for something where there is no obvious personal benefit or bonus to subscribing 

I think signing up is the right thing to do, for me, and a good initiative that might help secure the long-term future of the site, which is important to many of us. On the other hand I entirely respect those for whom it does not make sense. 

I am, however, starting to experience a sense of déjà vu when it is suggested that this is the thin-end of the wedge and that this will become a paid for site.  I have read several refutations of that suggestion by AY. I confess, I did fear the the purchase of gold membership might encourage a massive a sense of entitlement among some Gold Members who would feel even more inclined than before to throw weight and opinions about.  So far, however, I have seen a steady stream of respected and thoughtful contributors sign up to invest a bit in RMWeb, and, I realise that there is no one more "entitled" than the person who gets a thing for free!  

• Like 6

10 hours ago, big jim said:

I was thinking about the goldmembers having some sort of uniform to go with the secret handshake so when attending exhibitions we can spot each other in the crowd, how about this

F226FDF0-00BE-4CA3-9576-814C242EB22F.png

although looking at some of the reviews on ‘wish.com’ Andy Y may have already bought one.....

9AB932A6-6227-4ABA-A13D-7E63B225C62A.png

It might not be obvious enough.....

You'll also have to have a Secret Passphrase* and carry an unusual item to ensure recognition! 

* Along the lines of "The Wild Geese Fly At Midnight" or something similar, and a rolled copy of BRM...

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You'll also have to have a Secret Passphrase* and carry an unusual item to ensure recognition! 

* Along the lines of "The Wild Geese Fly At Midnight" or something similar, and a rolled copy of BRM...

Be careful of passwords.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, big jim said:

the flip side is the likes of Flickr pro, I’ve not signed up for that as I really see no point in paying for that as all I used it for was putting nice pics up on line, I didn’t use it for on line storage or linking pictures just there for my own vanity purposes to get ‘likes’, I can still use it for research purposes as before but I’m not paying £50 a year for something where there is no obvious personal benefit or bonus to subscribing 

If you did wish to make use of it for online storage (with a familiar interface) you are able to choose different parameters for any album you create and maintain a bit more control than Flickr offers.

Privacy

Everyone can see this album

Only I can see this album

I want to choose who can see this album

Members with access

Only I can submit to this album

Anyone can submit to this album

I want to choose which groups can submit to this album

I want to choose which members can submit to this album

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But you won't have a copy of BRM, just digital. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

Anyone know if you can print the pages from the back issues? Useful for plans etc.

Thanks - will probably go gold when my Pocketmags subscription completes.

I can't officially endorse this but...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

If you are using the space beneath our icons to distinguish between members, gold members and moderators, what does the word ‘Member’ and the two dots under our username signify?  Is it not a bit of unnecessary duplication, and an inconsistent one at that?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

Anyone know if you can print the pages from the back issues? Useful for plans etc.

Thanks - will probably go gold when my Pocketmags subscription completes.

.... also 'print screen' key on your pc and paste it into Irfanview or similar programme. I suspect it may also work with Word.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Chamby said:

If you are using the space beneath our icons to distinguish between members, gold members and moderators, what does the word ‘Member’ and the two dots under our username signify?

Member (beneath the username) is the rank whereas Members (beneath the avatar) denotes the group to which the individual belongs (Members/Moderators/Administrators etc) , the latter is the only one I can easily remove but that's the more useful one to have. I will investigate further about the upper one but we really are getting into inconsequential things there which take an inordinate amount of time to work on.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

It'll be slightly intriguing to see where this goes from here, it's been said that there are no plans at present but it in future maybe the only way to use the forum would be to pay.

I don't want to sound like Mr grumpy here but the cost of living isn't getting any cheaper not to mention the rising cost of our hobby, charities wanting help etc. And then what happens one day when the forum is upgraded and everything is lost, or will content saving be another benefit for gold members?

To be honest, I wish we would announce that only paid-up members could post - it would certainly please people who could then run around saying "I told you so". Of course, they would have to run around on Facebook or shout at pigeons since they wouldn't be posting on RMweb...

We've said it before and will doubtless have to say it again. A forum needs a "critical mass" to work. Less posting means even fewer visitors and even less posting. Then the advertisers and Gold members would desert the sinking ship.

RMweb has a "critical mass" in all senses and we're not going to mess with that. That's why there has to be a free version forever.

Sorry we can't fix the cost of living but you'll be surprised to know it affects us too, and also firms spending money on running forums for railway modellers that need to cover their costs.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Administrators

Hi all,

Can I just reiterate what Andy York has said previously about certain's peoples' thoughts on the future of the site and our so-called long term plan: WE WILL NOT be charging a fee for everyone to use this website. The success of RMweb is down to you, the users. Without you we have no site. Simple.

We know that if we started charging everyone who used the site, it would die...quickly. No users = no site. Warners is committed to ensuring RMweb remains an invaluable resource of railway modelling information and that means keeping it free.

Steve

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that our Subscriptions Department is open on Saturdays from 9am - 5pm and is available to take RMweb Gold orders. If you struggle to get through during a weekday, Saturday is a great time to call. You need to call 01778 392002 and quote: RMweb Gold Membership.

Steve

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I have no issues with the Gold and think it a good idea. This has probably already been said but as a print subscriber I like my paper mag and would, in an ideal world, like to pay a reduced Gold membership as a top-up to my print sub.

The main thing I am interested in is the ability to access older articles on modelling, that is something I am really into. The rest of it is not of great interest at the moment (apart from the show ticket). However I can't justify a print sub and Gold. Well I could buy fewer coffees and less trains to pay for it but that ain't happening!!

Just a thought, and fully appreciate what the team are doing :good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

However I can't justify a print sub and Gold.

Keep your ear to the ground in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Member (beneath the username) is the rank whereas Members (beneath the avatar) denotes the group to which the individual belongs (Members/Moderators/Administrators etc) , the latter is the only one I can easily remove but that's the more useful one to have. I will investigate further about the upper one but we really are getting into inconsequential things there which take an inordinate amount of time to work on.

Its the compulsive de-clutterer in me, Andy....  not wishing to create a load of extra work for you.  I thought it might possibly be a ‘quick fix’ and clean things up a bit?

Phil

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I thought it might possibly be a ‘quick fix’

It would be if you can ever find where the bit of code is. Kit William's hare was easy to find by comparison

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

But you won't have a copy of BRM, just digital. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

As I said, "unusual".  :jester:  I suppose it could always be a printed out page of an early issue, the page to be decided by GoldMembers in their private lounge before the event, along with the passphrase...

35 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

To be honest, I wish we would announce that only paid-up members could post - it would certainly please people who could then run around saying "I told you so". Of course, they would have to run around on Facebook or shout at pigeons since they wouldn't be posting on RMweb...

We've said it before and will doubtless have to say it again. A forum needs a "critical mass" to work. Less posting means even fewer visitors and even less posting. Then the advertisers and Gold members would desert the sinking ship.

RMweb has a "critical mass" in all senses and we're not going to mess with that. That's why there has to be a free version forever.

Sorry we can't fix the cost of living but you'll be surprised to know it affects us too, and also firms spending money on running forums for railway modellers that need to cover their costs.

Not that I've been complaining about anything but

• I don't do Facebook (RMweb is my only concession to social media!)
  • I shout at pigeons anyway, and squirrels too.
  • There's certainly a critical mass here.

Oh well, Vivat RMweb!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I can't officially endorse this but...

Many thanks Andy, I will go gold then at a later date when I can work out the end date of my current Pocketmags subscription! Aha! Found it - November, so a while to wait!

Cheers

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

To the tune of Spandau ballet ‘Gold’

Thank you for signing up 

I'm sorry that bullhead chairs are all worn

I left the soldering iron on 

These are my pre grouping days

Muzak chassis being eaten away

Just another p4 today

Oh but I'm proud of you but I'm proud of you

N gauge makes me feel small

Catenary standing so tall

RMweb Gold (gold)

You’d think that joining makes you an a’ hole 

People will start to think you are superior

Always believe that

'Cause you are

RMweb Gold (gold)

You know you’r bound to return

There's something I could have learned

You're a gold member 

Always believin' (someone will release a fell) 

Oh after the plan had come 

I hope you find a little more time

To build a model of the great western main line 

It's only two years til it goes on show

The man with the backpack and the BO 

You knew that he was there at the warley show 

Now he's in love with Crewe he's in love with your model of DP2

My love is like a station retaining wall 

But the prototype would never be so tall

RMweb Gold (gold)

Always use real welsh coal

You've got DCC power you know