RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

If Gold Membership is Vegan and Gluten Free I shall join.

Contains traces of nuts.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

With the £50 you save, rent yourself some server space, install the old forum software and we'll see you back here after you've been hacked. 

Did I say the new forum was bad? No! 

What I miss is the new content function, yes I can still do it via other means, however I find the new layout not as good, too many adverts ( which i know are needed) and a system which I personally think is aimed at tablet style devices. 

Rm web is a great resource but from a personal aspect I don’t enjoy the new set up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, shanks522 said:

Did I say the new forum was bad? No! 

What I miss is the new content function, yes I can still do it via other means, however I find the new layout not as good, too many adverts ( which i know are needed) and a system which I personally think is aimed at tablet style devices. 

Rm web is a great resource but from a personal aspect I don’t enjoy the new set up. 

Always interesting how two people can look at the same pages and see different things. 

I certainly see some (minor) things that can still be improved, but my perception is that the advertising is less and/or less prominent now than it was before. 

Andy can no doubt confirm, but it’s likely you and I are both wrong!

I think I recall something in a marketing text book labeled “expectation bias” related to this phenomenon. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Andy can no doubt confirm, but it’s likely you and I are both wrong

Correct, both wrong. It's the same amount distributed differently. Half empty / half full etc.

I have nothing to say but I want you to listen to me. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Pocketmags -- what is Pocketmags? and would that mean an extra subscription? Otherwise although I subscribe to the 'paper' edition it seems to be a good offer.

Not being a computer whizz I have never heard of it before this thread.

The Gold Song looked great but not knowing who Spandau or for that matter any other groups are I did not recognise the tune but the words looked good.  Now give me Tchaikovsky and I might recognise it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I will be subbing when the phones reopen, I've had countless hours please reading all sorts of bits on here and am more than happy to pay a little for the privilage.

many thanks for all your effors on this superb forum

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 05/04/2019 at 09:41, SteveCole said:

Just to let you all know that our Subscriptions Department is open on Saturdays from 9am - 5pm and is available to take RMweb Gold orders. If you struggle to get through during a weekday, Saturday is a great time to call. You need to call 01778 392002 and quote: RMweb Gold Membership.

A reminder that the subs office is open today for anyone wishing to sign up.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I posted the Gold offer on the Gauge O Guild forum as many members have used both sites. GOG membership is $25 for comparable benefits [not BRM but the Gazette] in 7mm scale. The consensus feedback was that since the reboot this site 'runs like a crippled dog' and most of us don't use it anymore because it's so frustrating. I do but the chance of a post actually uploading from my iPad is no better than 50%. Maybe this one will...

Dava

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dava said:

I posted the Gold offer on the Gauge O Guild forum as many members have used both sites. GOG membership is $25 for comparable benefits [not BRM but the Gazette] in 7mm scale. The consensus feedback was that since the reboot this site 'runs like a crippled dog' and most of us don't use it anymore because it's so frustrating. I do but the chance of a post actually uploading from my iPad is no better than 50%. Maybe this one will...

Dava

The GOG requires a paid membership to even look at - hardly a like for like comparison as you can use this forum for free - exactly as you are doing now

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

wrt ads, why , if there are nothing specific to other scales,& books, do 00/4mm stuff show there. why do 4mm/00 scale advertisers assume they do not need to put in the scale? A bit of a nuisance when some manufacturers cover multi scales.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, raymw said:

wrt ads, why , if there are nothing specific to other scales,& books, do 00/4mm stuff show there. why do 4mm/00 scale advertisers assume they do not need to put in the scale? A bit of a nuisance when some manufacturers cover multi scales.

I've read that four times now and I don't understand what the question actually is.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've read that four times now and I don't understand what the question actually is.

I think what he's trying to say is "Why don't advertisers say which scale / gauge the model is for" in the advert, as some produce models for more than one scale.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Currently in the news as it's the 40th anniversary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47671776

There is also a website somewhere with the solution.

Jason

Never heard of it till the other day when Andy mentioned it, seems it was damn near impossible to solve and the winner had a connection to the author, so not really fairly won. And it was meant for kids!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Never heard of it till the other day when Andy mentioned it, seems it was damn near impossible to solve and the winner had a connection to the author, so not really fairly won. And it was meant for kids!

I remember it at the time as I worked in a bookshop as a Saturday job when I was at school.

I remember thinking then that only one of the Beautiful People would win it, us mere mortals wouldn't get a look in, not cool enough.

Still have 'The Golden Hare' book, and despite knowing where the treasure was found, I still can't work it out ....... got as far as Tewksbury and thought it may have been Ledbury ................ there you go. Still think it was a stitch-up though ..............

Hi Andy,

I said

wrt ads, why , if there are nothing specific to other scales,& books, do 00/4mm stuff show there.

meaning that currently, or back then, if I clicked on ,say, 'other scales' then it opens up with a header saying 'other scales', then a line saying adverts, then underneath stuff that could be 'other scales, but in fact is not. It looks as if these items are for 'other scales, not 00, or wherever they are from. Perhaps a line under the 'other scales' line, saying 'nothing here', then the general adverts would be more clearly separated. It'll probably be more clear if something ever appears in 'other scales'

• Moderators

Nope, still confused - give me the URL of the page view that you're looking at and I may be able to see what you mean.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Nope, still confused - give me the URL of the page view that you're looking at and I may be able to see what you mean.

I think he means the forum Classified. 

There are no items in the 2mm section, but the adverts for 4mm stuff do appear.

Edited by Stubby47

32 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I think he means the forum Classified. 

There are no items in the 2mm section, but the adverts for 4mm stuff do appear.

Just to illustrate that - if you go to the N page at the moment, with nothing in it, all you see is the bottom carousel. Which is a bit misleading, because it isn't obvious that the carousel always appears in all categories, irrespective of what's in it.

npage.png.dc5180e4fc3492d7902f33fd71434726.png

What it really needs is something above the carousel, saying "Sorry, there are no products in this category. But here are some adverts for other products elsewhere".

If you compare the pages for categories that do have products, and those that don't the problem becomes more obvious.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/classifieds/category/1-oo-4mm-scale/ - there are products here, above the carousel.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/classifieds/category/2-n-2mm-scale/ - there are no products here, so all you see is the carousel.

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2019 at 09:01, AY Mod said:

Member (beneath the username) is the rank whereas Members (beneath the avatar) denotes the group to which the individual belongs (Members/Moderators/Administrators etc) , the latter is the only one I can easily remove but that's the more useful one to have. I will investigate further about the upper one but we really are getting into inconsequential things there which take an inordinate amount of time to work on.

I noticed... nice one, Andy!

Phil

• Thanks 1