RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• RMweb Premium

I can decide to sign up with my head or my heart.

I've never bought a copy of 'BRM'. I've browsed through copies from time to time, but not found anything to hold my attention. Please, are there any articles on 1:87 scale model-making (apart from RTR reviews) in the archive period back to 2007? I suppose, if there are half a dozen (i.e. one every two years), and one or two actually get me making something, then this would be good; but as far as I can work out, the publication is very much for projects in N, 00 or 0.

On the brighter side, it is a bit much to expect free hosting for my blog, year after year, especially when my posts seem to get indexed by the search engines so swiftly. It would cost me £50 a year for some server space and a domain name alone, plus the misery of maintaining the software and security. So if I sign up, I could tell myself I have done all I reasonably can, although I guess Warners might decide to abandon the blog feature on a whim.

I cannot get swayed by the free ticket (I go to Ally Pally on an inclusive coach trip) so really any hard decision-making will be on the content of BRM. To put a perspective on this, I buy maybe 4 magazines a year, usually for the adverts and an interesting article. I get far more fresh ideas from RMweb.

- Richard.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Please, are there any articles on 1:87 scale model-making (apart from RTR reviews) in the archive period back to 2007? I suppose, if there are half a dozen (i.e. one every two years), and one or two actually get me making something, then this would be good; but as far as I can work out, the publication is very much for projects in N, 00 or 0.

Not to my recollection over the last 7 years or so at least Richard. But if you fancied writing a couple of articles on British HO we'd be all ears.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I can decide to sign up with my head or my heart.

I've never bought a copy of 'BRM'. I've browsed through copies from time to time, but not found anything to hold my attention. Please, are there any articles on 1:87 scale model-making (apart from RTR reviews) in the archive period back to 2007? I suppose, if there are half a dozen (i.e. one every two years), and one or two actually get me making something, then this would be good; but as far as I can work out, the publication is very much for projects in N, 00 or 0.

On the brighter side, it is a bit much to expect free hosting for my blog, year after year, especially when my posts seem to get indexed by the search engines so swiftly. It would cost me £50 a year for some server space and a domain name alone, plus the misery of maintaining the software and security. So if I sign up, I could tell myself I have done all I reasonably can, although I guess Warners might decide to abandon the blog feature on a whim.

I cannot get swayed by the free ticket (I go to Ally Pally on an inclusive coach trip) so really any hard decision-making will be on the content of BRM. To put a perspective on this, I buy maybe 4 magazines a year, usually for the adverts and an interesting article. I get far more fresh ideas from RMweb.

- Richard.

The mag is called British Railway Modelling. As such, HO is less likely to feature very much, because while it is perfectly feasible to model UK prototype  in HO, and the gauge would then be much closer to right, it is very much a minority interest compared with OO/1:76. Other mags may include overseas modelling to 1:87 scale, but even Peco got wise to the different markets nearly 40 years ago when they started Continental Modeller. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 47137 said:

I built a wagon kit back in the April 2016 issue, but otherwise, the HO scale content is almost none - We don't cover non-UK models and British HO is pretty rare with a very small group of people working in it.

howagon.jpg

That said, all the scenic techniques we use are applicable to 1:87 modelling so there's still loads for inspiration and instruction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Not to my recollection over the last 7 years or so at least Richard. But if you fancied writing a couple of articles on British HO we'd be all ears.

PM sent.

24 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I built a wagon kit back in the April 2016 issue, but otherwise, the HO scale content is almost none - We don't cover non-UK models and British HO is pretty rare with a very small group of people working in it.

howagon.jpg

That said, all the scenic techniques we use are applicable to 1:87 modelling so there's still loads for inspiration and instruction.

Whose kit was this? It would be a useful model.

- Richard.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Sorry, I've jumped from page 1 to page 18 - can we sign up on-line yet?

Thanks, Neal.

Not yet Neal, probably a couple of weeks but I'll keep pestering Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not yet Neal, probably a couple of weeks but I'll keep pestering Steve.

Thanks Andy,

I will phone through tomorrow.

Regards, Neal.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Was just wondering with the BRM back catalogue being available- how searchable is it can you only look at issues or is there's a search box so I can type in say Bachmann class 70 and it will bring up the relevent articles. Sorry if asked previously last time I looked at this thread it was 9 pages!

mark

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Was just wondering with the BRM back catalogue being available- how searchable is it can you only look at issues or is there's a search box so I can type in say Bachmann class 70 and it will bring up the relevent articles. Sorry if asked previously last time I looked at this thread it was 9 pages!

mark

Hi Mark. It's brilliant. You search by article text. Type in 'Bachmann Class 70' and it should bring up every mention.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SteveCole said:

Hi Mark. It's brilliant. You search by article text. Type in 'Bachmann Class 70' and it should bring up every mention.

Hi Steve

Does the search differentiate between articles and adverts? I have a Readily account which includes a certain other model rail title where the search is potentially very useful but is hampered by looking at adverts as well as articles.  Consequently if you searched for  'Bachmann Class 70' you will have to scroll through what seem like endless box shifter adverts before getting to an article. Same with RM on Exact Editions for that matter.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Markwj said:

Was just wondering with the BRM back catalogue being available- how searchable is it can you only look at issues or is there's a search box so I can type in say Bachmann class 70 and it will bring up the relevent articles.

54 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Does the search differentiate between articles and adverts? I have a Readily account which includes a certain other model rail title where the search is potentially very useful but is hampered by looking at adverts as well as articles.  Consequently if you searched for  'Bachmann Class 70' you will have to scroll through what seem like endless box shifter adverts before getting to an article. Same with RM on Exact Editions for that matter.

This is what a search result looks like, a preview of the cover and page and contextual text so you can see what sort of result it is.

Exact_search.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2019 at 12:10, Edwardian said:

I will happily confess here that I have this morning, gone gold, to show that I have made good on what I have said in support of the scheme, and I would encourage others to do likewise.

Given my extremely low mortification threshold, I've gone for the bling-free option, but that's just me and my funny little ways.

And yet, despite the “extremely low mortification threshold”, you made a list telling us not only that you have gone gold, but also that you don’t want to make a show of it... ;)

[For the benefit of any keyboard warriors looking for someone else’s cause to support, this was (a) said in jest; and (b) Mr. Edwardian and I are on perfectly good terms with each other, and he is welcome to post a suitable riposte if he feels so inclined - as well he knows.]

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/04/2019 at 09:13, SteveCole said:

Hi. Thanks for becoming a member. At the moment there are no plans to extend past 2007. Older issues aren't stored digitally so we'd need to physically scan every page of every magazine. A huge job and one I wouldn't wish upon anyone. ha ha 

Why not? The scanning is fairly easy: it is indexing that requires more concentration.

Model Railroader did this, and they go back about 60 years before BRM. The older issues are a treasure trove of modelling techniques.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Simon, yes, there is an inherent tension in my position!

However, the aim was to be a low-key and bling-free supporter of RMWeb, not a secret one!

It's not that I am ashamed of gold membership!

goldmember.jpeg.77b8e4afcbbfae1b4f99469359e8c6d8.jpeg

On the contrary, I had said here a number of times that I thought this was a good initiative that I was minded to support, and I felt that, if unexplained, my apparent continued failure to sign up would have been the greater inconsistency.  

But mainly, Simon, I didn't want you to feel that I had a considerably richer membership than yow ... 

2042137369_harry-enfield-considerably-richer-than-you(1).jpg.dd58e2b89382e1aabf84481a70d0dc17.jpg

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

I call it inverted blingery myself.

For myself, as a humble purveyor and publisher of books, I find it sits quite happily alongside my Rolls Royce, Jaguar and Lear Jet.

Don't know what's wrong with the rest of you, blimming namby pamby non blingers....

a sense of humour is required, amongst our bacon rind

Ian Dury

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

a sense of humour is required, amongst our bacon rind

Ian Dury

Aha, a man whose every word rolled in humour and irony.

Funny thing is, a humorous and flippant observation has resulted in some serious replies, but a serious request has gone unremarked.

Bit like most of this thread (and most others, too)!

On 08/04/2019 at 11:11, woodenhead said:

if you type in 'The Fell' do you get an audible groan off the computer device?

No, but I get a jolt of electricity to my left nipple, so kindly cease and desist forthwith.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2