Bachmann wheels onto Lima axles

Hello. Has anyone ever swapped the wheels from Bachmann wheelsets (12mm wagon/coach) onto Lima axles and vice-versa without damaging the axles?

The insulated Lima wheel comes off the axle quite easily but the non-insulated does not. Is there an easy way to remove both wheels from both axles?

Thanks

Andy

I've done the same thing with pulling Lima wheels off the axles and replacing with Hornby wheels. I use a device that is called a gear puller, I cannot recall where I got it from, essentially it is two arms that fit over the wheel with a centre threaded rod which is simply screwed down onto the axle pinpoint and as it screws down it pulls the wheel off. Yes one Lima wheel is a a very tight fit, but it does pull off and as far as I can tell the pinpoint is undamaged and the Lima wheel looks OK, but I have not reused them. I use an ancient Hamblings wheel press to get the Hornby wheels back on and use a B-to-B gauge to get them properly set, they fit tightly enough to not need gluing

The revised wheel sets run ok, I've only done a number of Lima GUVs.

John

• Thanks 1

I have always found the Lima axles to be larger diameter and shorter overall than other makes. I use them to re wheel Hornby Dublo bogies from 3 rail to 2 rail with integral pickups for this reason.    If I had to try to press the non insulated Lima wheel off  I would ensure that a pinpoint bearing bush is used to press on the pin point of the axle when pressing a wheel on or off to avoid damaging the taper on the end of the axle. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your help. I've managed to remove the wheels this way:

Pulling off the insulated wheel and then putting the axle vertically and loosely in a vice (wheel at the top) and tapping down on the pin-point with a top hat bearing held in place with fine long nosed plierts. This still leaves a couple of mill of the axle in the wheel as the top hat hits the wheel. I then put the axle tightly and horizontally in the vice with the wheel back against the jaws and used a set of toothed pliers to ease the wheel off the rest of the way. This seems to work fine and no blisters.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Andrew F said:

Thanks everyone for your help. I've managed to remove the wheels this way:

Pulling off the insulated wheel and then putting the axle vertically and loosely in a vice (wheel at the top) and tapping down on the pin-point with a top hat bearing held in place with fine long nosed plierts. This still leaves a couple of mill of the axle in the wheel as the top hat hits the wheel. I then put the axle tightly and horizontally in the vice with the wheel back against the jaws and used a set of toothed pliers to ease the wheel off the rest of the way. This seems to work fine and no blisters.

That's exactly how I did my Lima Axles when replacing with Hornby 12.5mm Wheels on the Original Axles.

• Informative/Useful 1

Heating the wheel should help with its removal. Brute force on a brass bearing will probably damage it, so keep it for this job. The wretched things are very tight on their axles.

3 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Heating the wheel should help with its removal. Brute force on a brass bearing will probably damage it, so keep it for this job. The wretched things are very tight on their axles.

That's something I considered and is probably the way to go if you have that useful little blow torch.

I used a single brass top-hat bearing to remove wheels from 36 axles yesterday and it looked pretty knackered after that. Knowing me though, it'll still end up being used in a bogie on some unfortunate piece of rolling stock.