The Coalman’s Yard

This is my first working micro shelf build. The size is as follows 16”x 5”. This will be modelled in 4mm scale.
The theme will be a working coal yard siding. My choice of loco will be a Hornby new tooled Terrier early emblem.
My choice of track will be Peco Setrack 100 code, with a righthand point and 2 sidings.
An office and a wagon along with ballasting and some small bits of landscaping.
I hope I sounds ok, I will uploaded a picture tomorrow of my bomb proof baseboard.

93A79DBA-4A40-4448-AF8F-675447C70BE9.jpeg.20ee32899097ecf1a83d05bf79938f62.jpeg

Edited by Ivor_harley
  • Like 9

Thanks for the likes votes. Today I have added some plaster on top of the paper mache which form the areas that will be grassed.

sorry about my tinplate layout in the picture but I thought it would be interesting to see the difference in scale.:D

• Like 1

Cheers Jerry last night I painted the areas that are going to be grassed. Today I have built the coal staithe and small stone office. The staithe is glued in place ready for painting and weathering.

Hopefully today I will paint and weather the buffer stops.:good_mini:

Afternoon fellow modellers. Some progress has been made on my little shelf layout. The office has been painted and weathered along with the surface area around the office.

The ballasting is complete, it was my first go at ballasting and I hated it but it’s done and has turned out nicely. The ballast will be weathered around the coal staithe with powders. 

The grass will be added once the ballast has had to dry and set.

picture of my progress.

F8C81837-A34B-4546-ACD7-6B49F471A082.jpeg.940dc655073cefa00c59f6d37c8f9ec8.jpegE6B23F65-7858-409E-A97A-EE12E162E603.jpeg.758bb12e9e2383b4069e9c136e14b85c.jpeg2B844400-BD6C-4212-9FCD-8BBA85AB9D5F.jpeg.56d0445bd75e2d3b5e9ed49e5a5eac6b.jpeg

• Like 8

Jerry thanks you for the positive comments, it means a great deal to someone who is just starting out. 

Today I have laid the grass scatter and I must say a lot easier than ballast work:yahoo_mini:. I will post a few pictures later today.

Morning fellow modellers.

This morning I have managed to post some pictures. The grass scatter and real coal has had time to dry. 

Next will be some static grass work and place clumps of grass around the edges.

BF9FCEB9-0B9C-4DD5-BEB1-ED71E879E32A.jpeg.47f2bddc9c98d1bde070a2148cfe0097.jpeg6F2272D5-6FC1-4AEC-B30B-E1315548EA81.jpeg.35ccb329b8b042acb3c2bc79641aaa03.jpeg71558C77-BB98-42C0-BC16-EC081011F985.jpeg.d36928d01132f881149c2aadf457955c.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice, I like what you have done with this.

A couple of coal bags resting against the staithes' would look good if you want to add a bit more detail.

That terrier is nice too.

Do you have any coal wagons?

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi today I have added a few bits of scrap around Coalman’s Yard with over doing it because of its size. I hope to have some coal sacks and a metal dustbin next week to add. 

Then I need to find one or two coal wagons to go with my Hornby terrier.:good_mini:

Probably not appropriate to your coal wagon requirement, but a quick and simple wagon conversion is to fit tarpaulins of your chosen era/company. This will cover the origins of the wagon.

These are relatively  easy to make, with access to a printer, and they are available ready made on e-bay. 

• Like 1

Hi Jerry I’m not really fussed about having a backscene. I’m still waiting on my sacks and dustbins arriving and I’m thinking of adding some black weathering powder around the coal staithe area. I thinking of adding a tree on the grassed area on the left of the layout.

But for now I’m making my own tarp for one of the wagons.

16 minutes ago, JamesGWR101 said:

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the tarp covered wagon. Are you going to weather the wagon and tarp?

Hi James thanks for your nice comments. Yes the tarps and wagon will be weathered. It’s great what you can achieve with a small piece of plank.:good_mini:

Im going to take better pictures preferably outdoors tomorrow. I’m thinking of adding a small yard lamp with LED. Once that and the sacks are finished I can call it a finished piece.

48 minutes ago, Ivor_harley said:

Hi James thanks for your nice comments. Yes the tarps and wagon will be weathered. It’s great what you can achieve with a small piece of plank.:good_mini:

Im going to take better pictures preferably outdoors tomorrow. I’m thinking of adding a small yard lamp with LED. Once that and the sacks are finished I can call it a finished piece.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I'll keep an eye out for it

james :)

• Thanks 1