Edinburgh and Lothians Miniature Railway Club seeking new premises

26power

Was a member a long time ago and have just seen this from last Thursday (28/03/19):

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-and-lothians-miniature-railway-club-makes-desperate-plea-for-new-home-1-4897141?fbclid=IwAR2VLFwnSdFtdDswLim2d8MSUIKOYskw3zsWq-lVoc31YY7rgJJIv8fpwpo

Sorry for a link to something with so many adverts!

Unfortunate that the land was sold without their knowledge.  Hope they have success in finding new premises.

Please delete if there is already a thread for this - searched and didn't find one.

• 4 months later...

My attention has just been brought to this thread, which I missed at the time despite the time that I spend on this site.  As the current secretary of the Edinburgh and Lothians MRC, I can confirm that we are still looking for alternative premises, preferably in Edinburgh, although have not yet been given formal notice to quit.  As such, we remain at our current premises in Piershill for the time being.

I suppose that we are relatively lucky to have had our current workshop since 1998 but despite the uncertainty about the club's future I'm hopeful that we can find somewhere suitable before we are actually asked to leave.  We are just working on the basis that that may be sooner rather than later.  We have the same problem that many clubs have - we can't really afford a full commercial rent, so whilst there are plenty of nice industrial units around, we generally can't afford them.  If anyone is aware of any unused space in Edinburgh, I'd be interested if they can let me know.

The club is currently active in both 4mm scale (00 and 00-9) and 7mm scale (0 and 0-16.5) and is open to new members of all abilities who have an interest in model railways.  Work is nearing completion on the club’s latest as yet unnamed 00 layout, which has been designed to be used as an extension to another layout, ‘Glendevon’.  There is a thread about this on RMWeb.

The intention is that this can be used as either an extension to 'Glendevon' (as originally planned) or in the future as a standalone layout once we build another fiddle yard.  A new 00-9 layout is currently at the planning stages and we hope to start construction later in the year.

Any prospective members are welcome to contact me either on here or through our website.

• Friendly/supportive 1