Jump to content

Graham1960

What are these attached to these loco's?

Recommended Posts

I came across two photo's of real engines with none standard rolling stock on them. I wonder if someone can say what they are and if there are any 4mm scale models of them?

The first a red carriage hauled by D5610

The second a strange looking 8 wheel flat in front of class 47 D1865, which is hauling mineral wagons.

D5610 (later 31187) at Sheffield Victoria in Aug 1968.jpg

D1865 at Darnall.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspection saloon behind 5610 used by officers and engineers to inspect the track, infrastructure, etc., and a brake tender in front of 1865 (basically two power brake fitted bogies with a heavy weight on them to increase the brake force of the loco with unfitted trains)

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First photo is of an Inspection Saloon. Bachmann make one. Some details of them here.

 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88795-inspection-saloon-working/

 

 

Second photo is a Diesel Brake Tender. Used to improve braking on heavy freights. Hornby Magazine made one of a different type. I don't think there is one of the type in the photograph available.

 

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2018/10/24/diesel-brake-tenders-arrive/

 

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspection saloons were often propelled, up to 60mph being permitted, and were fitted with warning bells, and later air operated horns.  They were very self contained vehicles, having retractable steps similar to the ones used on GW auto trailers and steam railmotors, toilets, and kitchens; a steward accompanied them and cooked meals.  Interior layout was usually well appointed and upholstered benches, armchairs, and baize covered tables with dining/office chairs.

 

My career as a Canton guard in the 70s included a very pleasant day out with one, and during the lunch break we were served a very pleasant meal of braised liver in a redcurrant jous, with colcannon potatoes and a very presentable merlot.  And bottles of Mackeson to wash it all down.  Shame to take the money, really, not that I ever gave any back...

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, when was the photo of D5610 taken? It's in fairly tidy green but has double arrows on the bodyside. 

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2019 at 01:13, The Johnster said:

Inspection saloons were often propelled, up to 60mph being permitted, and were fitted with warning bells, and later air operated horns.  They were very self contained vehicles, having retractable steps similar to the ones used on GW auto trailers and steam railmotors, toilets, and kitchens; a steward accompanied them and cooked meals.  Interior layout was usually well appointed and upholstered benches, armchairs, and baize covered tables with dining/office chairs.

 

My career as a Canton guard in the 70s included a very pleasant day out with one, and during the lunch break we were served a very pleasant meal of braised liver in a redcurrant jous, with colcannon potatoes and a very presentable merlot.  And bottles of Mackeson to wash it all down.  Shame to take the money, really, not that I ever gave any back...

 

 

No one has really supplied me with a satisfactory solution as to why an Inspection saloon would need to be taken to a wooded spot on a little used single track route, and then uncoupled from the class 31 which had brought it there. 

 

Maybe they were being treated to somewhat more than just braised liver?.....

 

1861709987_31xxxgmsaloonderbys1992.jpg.35e16e7f471b2e42ccff2b2a95d3460b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that this does look highly suspicious (comparatively recent, too, from the tail lamp), but is probably a lunch break in a quiet pleasant spot just the same, the loco detached to prevent vibration in the coach.  If it had been anything more suspicious, no doubt the photographer would have been 'disappeared'; there's plenty of forest to hide whatever was left of him in...

 

Our lunch break was on a back road at Llandough sidings, overlooking the moored yachts on the River Ely, the subject of the mealtime discussion in the form of which one we'd have if we could afford it...

 

Or maybe they were on their way to inspect the 9Fs in the strategic reserve.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Johnster - you are a tease - strategic reserve .......pffft

  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As noted. these are an Inspection saloon and a diesel brake tender.  This older design of brake tender is available ready built from Britannia Pacific Models web address www.britanniapacific.co.uk.  As the company makes to order, there may be a short delay between placing an order, and the item being built and despatched.  Especially as he makes a variety of models to order.  Notwithstanding this, I do own one of these brake tenders in green and one blue.

 

As the individual who runs this company is known to me, it may not be appropriate of me to give too strong a recommendation.  But I do recommend you look at his web site for certain in track machines including Brake Tenders, Inspection Saloons (including Caroline) and modern EMUs.

  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2019 at 21:25, standardblue said:

Out of interest, when was the photo of D5610 taken? It's in fairly tidy green but has double arrows on the bodyside. 

 

Mark

August 1968.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, knitpick said:

As noted. these are an Inspection saloon and a diesel brake tender.  This older design of brake tender is available ready built from Britannia Pacific Models web address www.britanniapacific.co.uk.  As the company makes to order, there may be a short delay between placing an order, and the item being built and despatched.  Especially as he makes a variety of models to order.  Notwithstanding this, I do own one of these brake tenders in green and one blue.

 

As the individual who runs this company is known to me, it may not be appropriate of me to give too strong a recommendation.  But I do recommend you look at his web site for certain in track machines including Brake Tenders, Inspection Saloons (including Caroline) and modern EMUs.

 

Thanks knitpick. Personally, I have no problem with honest third party recommendations for small independent model makers such as this. They deserve extra publicity once in a while, as they tend to get forgotten in the blizzard of news from big manufacturers/suppliers. 

 

They do a great selection of the kind of stock found on the real railway, but rarely seen on many model versions; but sadly most are too modern for my era. However, the BR maroon inspection saloon looks great, and I am just try to work out how I can persuade SWMBO of the vital need for one. 

 

One amazing detail from the website is that when ordering, they do not require a deposit :o . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

 

I am just try to work out how I can persuade SWMBO of the vital need for one. 

Jonny777, have you not developed the smuggling skills that all modellers with partners must acquire?

 

Tim T

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Tim, the wife has now retired and is far more attentive to the size and frequency of parcels arriving at the door.  I have tried the "garden bird food" route, but unless our local feathered friends suddenly appear as morbidly obese, she will not be convinced they are eating that much. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:11, knitpick said:

As noted. these are an Inspection saloon and a diesel brake tender.  This older design of brake tender is available ready built from Britannia Pacific Models web address www.britanniapacific.co.uk.  As the company makes to order, there may be a short delay between placing an order, and the item being built and despatched.  Especially as he makes a variety of models to order.  Notwithstanding this, I do own one of these brake tenders in green and one blue.

 

As the individual who runs this company is known to me, it may not be appropriate of me to give too strong a recommendation.  But I do recommend you look at his web site for certain in track machines including Brake Tenders, Inspection Saloons (including Caroline) and modern EMUs.

As a customer of this firm I can thoroughly recommend the items he produces and I have one of these Tenders in Blue. Very good quality and excellent value.

I think that decals are available from CCTransUK (is that right?) but I may be wrong?

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to get a brake tender, very similar to the Hornby one, as a kit from Peter's Spares for under £20. I did see one like the photo from a firm that makes plastic ones. Sadly it was in N gauge. It looked really good, so I searched the site. But they had very little oo/ho stuff, only some Irish rollingstock.  

I was hoping to adapt the Kit to make it like the other one. But it's a metal kit and the part that needed altering is solid.

Still if they had that type, they probably had the other running on the Eastern Region electrified line of Sheffield.

 

The inspection saloon being much rarer. Even the Bachmann model.

 

Sadly the Britannia Pacific Models option is way out of my price range, though they are good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Sorry Tim, the wife has now retired and is far more attentive to the size and frequency of parcels arriving at the door.  I have tried the "garden bird food" route, but unless our local feathered friends suddenly appear as morbidly obese, she will not be convinced they are eating that much. 

Have it delivered to work if you can and then make sure you have been going to the Gym or footy practise or similar  for a while before ordering one and stick the package in yer kit bag/rucksack. Alternatively. ask a mate around to view your layout progress having arranged for said package to go to them and they just bring it with some other stuff to play with on your layout. The latter method works a treat and does not cost Gym fees etc.

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2019 at 00:35, Graham1960 said:

I came across two photo's of real engines with none standard rolling stock on them. I wonder if someone can say what they are and if there are any 4mm scale models of them?

The first a red carriage hauled by D5610

The second a strange looking 8 wheel flat in front of class 47 D1865, which is hauling mineral wagons.

D5610 (later 31187) at Sheffield Victoria in Aug 1968.jpg

 

 

Not your average ten-a-penny LMS saloon that, but DE900580 an ex-LNER Engineers Saloon from 1936.  It would go on to work on the West Highland Line as an Observation Saloon in revenue earning service.  It's now preserved and owned by WCRC at Carnforth.

 

Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.