DJModels at the N gauge South East show

Ed-farms

https://djmodels.co.uk/djmodels-at-the-n-gauge-south-east-show-this-saturday-6th-april-purley-surrey-cr8-1ex

Interesting to note that as the link says "I’m also hoping to ‘launch’ a surprise or 2 on the day!", wonder what these might be? Hoping its not something new unless its far enough advanced to be ahead of existing models and hit the shelves soon. As much as I support Dave and want him to succeed, its now approaching 2 years (June 2017) since I ordered 2 kings originally and apart from a 3D print nothing substantial has been seen, so fingers crossed its existing models taking a step forward

• RMweb Premium

Some of his personal stock looks interesting, shall look out for those.

Agree that he really shouldn't be announcing anything new and should just deliver on what he has promised, which is a hell of a lot!

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 5

Fortunately launching a surprise doesn't necessarily mean the announcement of an entirely new product. And, with the stagnation of many DJM N gauge product projects that would be rather disappointing. Another new project would leave his resources spread even thinner.

I'd rather see some positive progress on some of the current projects with them more obviously coming to fruition.

G

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, and actually maybe the APT isn't a bad shout, would be great to see that happening.

I shall reserve judgement, and try and buy some of Dave's personal stock!

This is what the DJM blog (on the website) download has:

DJM N gauge product update April 2019. Here is a product update of all ‘in progress’ DJM N gauge projects.

• N gauge APT Current orders of 118 of 400 needed.
  • N gauge J94 current orders of 112 of 800 needed.
  • N gauge Mogul Current orders 236 of 1000 needed.
  • N gauge shark delivery November 19.
  • N gauge Mermaids Delivery November 19.
  • N gauge King minimum order number reached, tooling to commence imminently.
  • N gauge class 92 tooling imminent.
  • N gauge MK5 coaches licence granted.

This is welcome news/update information although the DJM website also reports that the DJM Mk5 coaches are cancelled (presumably even though a licence has been granted). And there is no mention of previously announced class 17, class 23, class 59, Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0, HUO hopper, road van, bogie flat and road vehicles/cars as 'in progress' even though some are still featured on the website.

G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the Shark and more Mermaids on the way in November.

The Mk5s have been ditched not surprisingly and still no news on the Class 17.  I fear that may be the greatest N scale model that never was now...

• Like 2

So Mk5 coaches announced and cancelled in same breath, but alludes to 2 manufacturers working on them head to head we only know of one set of announcements. Who else is working on Mk5 coaches?

What else has DJ Models announced?

• RMweb Gold

The other thing announced is that the King has got 'over the line' - Digitrains are having an exclusive limited edition of 6000 King George V - £249.95 including fitted DCC sound.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Did he ever announce he was doing the mk5 coaches, and also announces another manufacturer is working on them! He did not have to say that -starting to be a bit of a spoiler for others announcements. 

4 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Did he ever announce he was doing the mk5 coaches, and also announces another manufacturer is working on them! He did not have to say that -starting to be a bit of a spoiler for others announcements. 

Not to my knowledge, he always has liked to announce other manufacturers stuff and got in to trouble for it years ago. It helps deflect attention and makes seem more pally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Tricky-CRS said:

So Mk5 coaches announced and cancelled in same breath, but alludes to 2 manufacturers working on them head to head we only know of one set of announcements. Who else is working on Mk5 coaches?

What else has DJ Models announced?

Erm - Revolution and Accurascale are working on Mk5s in N and OO ... thats two manufactures both of whom have been announced....

Edited by MarshLane

• RMweb Premium

From what I can see several "announced" items just don't have a hope. The J94 was announced how many years ago and is how far off!! etc. 

• RMweb Gold

The way it reads to me in 2 manufacturers in both gauges but this could be the way it's written but then he goes on to say he doesn't think there will be room for 2 manufacturers let alone 3 which suggests competition in each scale.

• RMweb Premium

Shame about the J94 - it's a model I'd like a couple of.

At this point the first manufacturer to get out a DCC ready sound or non-sound J94 gets my money, both in N and O.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Tricky-CRS said:

Who else is working on Mk5 coaches?

Mk5 in OO - Accurascale

Mk5 in N - Revolution

Announced together and in co-operation.

Therefore the phraseology is a bit disingenuous (and there's no 'racing' involved). I was aware of the intent in 2017 but there was no public announcement so to claim the viability of something (which was never announced but now cancelled) was affected by others is not good.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, grahame said:
  •  
  • N gauge APT Current orders of 118 of 400 needed.
  • N gauge J94 current orders of 112 of 800 needed.
  • N gauge Mogul Current orders 236 of 1000 needed.
  • N gauge shark delivery November 19.
  • N gauge Mermaids Delivery November 19.
  • N gauge King minimum order number reached, tooling to commence imminently.
  • N gauge class 92 tooling imminent.
  • N gauge MK5 coaches licence granted.

This is welcome news/update information although the DJM website also reports that the DJM Mk5 coaches are cancelled (presumably even though a licence has been granted). And there is no mention of previously announced class 17, class 23, class 59, Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0, HUO hopper, road van, bogie flat and road vehicles/cars as 'in progress' even though some are still featured on the website.

The good news, from a DJM perspective, is that the shark/Mermaids should provide some needed income later in the year.

Good news for those who have chosen DJM for the King or Class 92, though it is a mixed bag from DJM perspective with the Revolution Class 92 about to go into production thus limiting the ability to sell extra units when an EP is shown.

Unless DJM gets significantly better at promotion and/or the delivery of a KIng/Class 92 provides a boost it would appear the other crowd funded models (APT/J94/Mogul) are dead.  As I said elsewhere, my suspicion based on the struggles is that the crowd-funded era is coming to an end as it just seems to be too difficult to connect with prospective customers and a poor track record isn't helping.

As for the other products, they were all DJM producted to be produced the traditional way, and were all based on sales of other products funding their development.  For a variety of reasons this hasn't seemed to work out for DJM, and I don't see any change in those products happening soon.  While certainly speculation on my part, my guess is that the next DJM model would be in OO (or maybe O) as the fact that nobody else has stepped up to grab any of these models in N perhaps indicates they aren't seen as viable models in N (particularly the class 59, where Dapol have done all the research already).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

The good news, from a DJM perspective, is that the shark/Mermaids should provide some needed income later in the year.

Good news for those who have chosen DJM for the King or Class 92, though it is a mixed bag from DJM perspective with the Revolution Class 92 about to go into production thus limiting the ability to sell extra units when an EP is shown.

Unless DJM gets significantly better at promotion and/or the delivery of a KIng/Class 92 provides a boost it would appear the other crowd funded models (APT/J94/Mogul) are dead.  As I said elsewhere, my suspicion based on the struggles is that the crowd-funded era is coming to an end as it just seems to be too difficult to connect with prospective customers and a poor track record isn't helping.

As for the other products, they were all DJM producted to be produced the traditional way, and were all based on sales of other products funding their development.  For a variety of reasons this hasn't seemed to work out for DJM, and I don't see any change in those products happening soon.  While certainly speculation on my part, my guess is that the next DJM model would be in OO (or maybe O) as the fact that nobody else has stepped up to grab any of these models in N perhaps indicates they aren't seen as viable models in N (particularly the class 59, where Dapol have done all the research already).

I'm not sure when some of those were announced but the mogul was announced in July 2014 (although perhaps not particularly promoted more widely than on RMweb?) and notwithstanding fairly recent ads in a magazine it is still not even a quarter of the way there.  The APT has managed 118 orders since announcement in November 2017 so is doing comparatively well.  However all is not darkness - when the 'King ' was announced DJM forecast that once tooling go ahead is given it should be 6-8 weeks to the first EP then another 6-8 weeks to the second EP and approval followed by 4 weeks for production and 4 - 6 weeks for delivery to the UK.  Which implies it will be here in 6 months time but that is subject to it getting slots (and I see it doesn't mention livery samples which will also take several weeks) and it all assumes everything goes to plan although logically it might be here by the end of the year.

So DJM should, with that and the N gauge vehicles, be getting a revenue stream by November/December but there will obviously be costs to be met before money starts coming in (although the costs in respect of the 'King' would be covered to some extent by the crowdfunding monies.  But overall the long expressed view, often supported by detail. that the N gauge market is much smaller than that for 00 seems to be having an impact with in some cases very slow build up to sufficient orders for crowdfunded projects to get off the ground quickly.  That alone suggests to me that the 00 marketplace, albeit a very crowded one, might be a better commercial bet than any sort of reliance on N gauge to lift the company's fortunes.

• Agree 5

Whilst I could express an interest in the mogul I won't because I would not be prepared to pay a deposit on it until the king is a reality . Good news about the king though and I am looking forward to having one.

I wish Dave every success with these projects.

5 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Erm - Revolution and Accurascale are working on Mk5s in N and OO ... thats two manufactures both of whom have been announced....

They are of course different scales/gauges so are not exactly competing in the same market sector. And it's not two companies in 'both' N and OO as mentioned but one in each:

"Please note that the MK5 coaches will be dropped due to 2 developers currently racing to get theirs out in both N and OO gauges and i cannot foresee a market for 2 manufacturers let alone 3 of the same product."

G

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm not sure when some of those were announced but the mogul was announced in July 2014 (although perhaps not particularly promoted more widely than on RMweb?) and notwithstanding fairly recent ads in a magazine it is still not even a quarter of the way there.  

The Mogul was mentioned/promoted in the NGS Journal magazine in 2014 and has been discussed/mentioned over the years on several N gauge forums (as well as RMweb) so the N gauge community is quite aware of it's potential as a DJM product making the take-up to date even more of a concern. But, of course, advertising and better promotion would ensure a wider reach and possibly better support.

I think potentially the issue is the lack of progress/delivery of what is quite a plethora of N gauge projects. 

G

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes his quote above definitely implies competition. Dapol are the obvious ‘other’ brand, but I’m not are of them doing them. 

Dave certainly had a lot of stock for sale today, relieved him of a cheap 86!