Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Evostik - in tubes

I went to 4 stores this morning (including B&Q and Wickes) to try and get a tube of 'normal' Evostik but there was none to be had.  Plenty of large tins of the stuff but no tubes and the staff I spoke to didn't seem to have a clue if it was still available!

Is it?!

Look carefully in Wickes and you'll find they have their own impact adhesive in tubes, cheaper than Evostick. I've been using it for some years now, it sticks like Evostick, it smells like the original Evostick.( and it strings like Evostick!) 

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Phil Traxson said:

Look carefully in Wickes and you'll find they have their own impact adhesive in tubes, cheaper than Evostick. I've been using it for some years now, it sticks like Evostick, it smells like the original Evostick.( and it strings like Evostick!) 

I did see that but, having been disappointed by other brands in the past, wasn't sure if it would be OK.  I know what I'm getting with Evostik!  I'm using it for track laying so need a fresh tube that is runny, won't go off before I place the track sections in place and will allow some adjustment before it does goes off to much.  I've used Evostik for years like this and it's always been fine.

There might be some at Scalefour North this weekend perhaps.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

On the Evo-Stik website it shows "Impact Adhesive" as being available in 250ml and 500ml tins, "Timebond Adhesive" is still available in 65g tube along with 250ml, 500ml and 1 litre tins. It looks like tube Impact will no longer be available, although as already mentioned it's still being offered on Amazon, so it might be time to get some before it goes.

Edit;

As I was about to close the Evo-Stik website noticed that they are part of Bostik. Now they do a "Contact Adhesive" in a tube, it might be the same as the Evo-Stik Impact.

Edited by Wellyboots
To include additional informatiom
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

As an alternative look for Gorilla contact adhesive. This is fairly new, in  a good sized tube but is more expensive than Evostick. However, it is clear and is a non stringinging gel formulation, same smell but I fancy less of it. Does need spreading to get thin coverage, leave to dry for a couple of minutes then bond - just ike the other stuff. works well.

I have to say I am impressed with the other adhesives by Gorilla glue, didn't realise they did a contact adhesive though. As you say they are not cheap but in my experience with their gel superglue and original bottle glue I have found them excellent, "they do what they say on the tin".

Phil T.

• 2 months later...

I've been looking for tubes of Evostick for some days now, with no success. And none of the DIY stores seemed to have noticed that they hadn't got any! So much for stock control!

In my experience the Bostik version is nowhere near as good as the pukka stuff, but we're trying UniBond Contact Adhesive at the Gloucester Club, in fact I'm testing some right now.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I've been looking for tubes of Evostick for some days now, with no success. And none of the DIY stores seemed to have noticed that they hadn't got any! So much for stock control!

In my experience the Bostik version is nowhere near as good as the pukka stuff, but we're trying UniBond Contact Adhesive at the Gloucester Club, in fact I'm testing some right now.

Hi

Last time I bought any it was in a secure area at one of the checkouts in B&Q but I can't remember the reason why.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Last time I bought any it was in a secure area at one of the checkouts in B&Q but I can't remember the reason why.

Cheers

Paul

I believe this is because solvent abusers use the tubes.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I emailed Evo-Stick about this stupid situation, and they obviously didn't read what I said!

They suggested that it was available and in what sizes, and a list of stockists, one of which was Homebase, but I couldn't find any in the store I visited. I'm going to try a few more en route home tomorrow.

Someone at EvoStick is burying their head in the sand........... 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

Don't think they do tubes, but small cans are always readily available at Screwfix....

Always thought the price was reasonable too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-impact-adhesive-off-white-to-amber-250ml/38770 

Not only that, but I expect their stock rotation is pretty high - so not much chance of buying a tube that's been in the stock room for 3 years....

5 hours ago, crompton 33 said:

You need to ask at the counter . As they keep it in a safe  Because of solvent abusers plus you have got to be over 18. Got mine from a local hardware shop.

I DID ask a the counter at 2-3 branches of B&Q and they said they only had tins, NOT tubes. And I'm 76............

Smaller shops seem to have no trouble in getting the stuff in tubes, I bought four of the larger tubes from my local DIY place on Monday and they had LOADS of them.

Methinks the larger stores are swinging the lead, they just can't be bothered to order numbers of small tubes, and lie to prospective customers as a result. :mad:

On 14/06/2019 at 17:12, railroadbill said:

I buy large tubes of evostick (the clear glue) in the local pound shop. They have loads. Cheap too :-)

How much? :jester:

Also try places like Home Bargains and B&M. It's always worth a look if you have a local branch as they often get things in that you wouldn't expect.

Jason

12 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

My local Home AND Bargains only has UHU, at £1 per tube. I recently saw this on a traders stand at a local exhibition for £3.00  

I was going to put AND, but I don't think they had spread to the rest of the country by the time they changed the name.

I didn't want to confuse everyone.

Jason

45 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was going to put AND, but I don't think they had spread to the rest of the country by the time they changed the name.

I didn't want to confuse everyone.

Jason

The sign writers have missed it out on my two local stores, must be the same firm that did the sign for The Asda.