Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Evostik - in tubes

The clear UHU adhesive I've bought in the local pound shop, as mentioned above. However I do have a tube of Wickes "high strength contact adhesive."   Got plenty left, ideal for sticking on oo name plates.Unfortunately our local Wickes has now closed.

Worth looking in Wilkos, if you've got a local store. They do a number of adhesives, some under their own name. Very good epoxy resin 5 min. glue.  And sell the excellent Gorilla glues for a reasonable price.

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes, getting hard to find in tubes now.  Enquires at B&Q help desk last week produced nothing on their system.

I managed to get a couple of small tubes via eBay which arrived this morning in two days with free postage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSTIK-EVO-STIK-TUBE-IMPACT-CONTACT-ADHESIVE-GLUE-30g-HIGH-STRENGTH/323309704177?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

but only 6 left this morning.

22 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

As I said earlier, try the smaller shops, the big stores don't give a damn about us modellers. 

I agree  - my eBay purchase did indeed come from a smaller shop.  But they have nearly sold out.

Your comment about large stores not being interested in us modellers is not always the case!

A couple of years ago I was in my local B&Q choosing small paint tester pots.  The sales assistant asked if he could help - I told him I was choosing colours for a backscene for my model railway.  Turns out he was a railway modeller too and also uses them for his layout!  Needless to say sometimes when I go in we chat about our hobby (pretending to be in discussion about products to avoid attention from the supervisor!). He also introduced me to his colleague in the store room.  Another 4mm man!   Result - two new acquaintances!  (Nice to go to shops and talk with people).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

have a look at Screwfix or Toolstation.  The smaller tins are normally ok-ish, but if you're making a larger project, try using the specific adhesive for the job. Also, you can get solvent style, and solvent free, depending on your requirements.

Cheers,

Ian.

It's precisely because i work in N gauge, thus EVERYthing is small, that I like the tubes. The small nozzles are much handier than any applicator to put glue where I want it, so I never find any use for tins of the stuff. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

try using the specific adhesive for the job. Also, you can get solvent style, and solvent free, depending on your requirements.

I've tried goodness knows how many different glues in the past - choosing some for different types of plastic or metal or whatever. Superglue, plastic weld, you name it I've tried it! :huh: Mostly without much success! :(

Original Araldite (the one you mix the two tubes) works great for very strong bonds, but for lighter general stuff I always come back to the good old Evo-stik!

Stringy and smelly it may be, buf for me it actually works for most stuff!

I shall certainly miss the tubes of it.  Now thinking I should track down a couple more before it disappears completely.  Enough to see me out hahah!

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling and additional wording

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2019 at 11:33, Tim Chambers said:

Mornin' all-I've got two large tubes of Evostick on their way via Amazon-no problem!

Did you have to show ID?:jester:

Seriously, I was asked whether I was over 18 a few years ago by a young assistant.

She said sorry, I have to ask, it's the rules! (I was around 70 at the time)

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I've tried goodness knows how many different glues in the past - choosing some for different types of plastic or metal or whatever. Superglue, plastic weld, you name it I've tried it! :huh: Mostly without much success! :(

Original Araldite (the one you mix the two tubes) works great for very strong bonds, but for lighter general stuff I always come back to the good old Evo-stik!

Stringy and smelly it may be, buf for me it actually works for most stuff!

I shall certainly miss the tubes of it.  Now thinking I should track down a couple more before it disappears completely.  Enough to see me out hahah!

I haven't used Evode for a long time. Nowadays, Contractors need fast setting adhesives, and by & large, they have reached commonality to a degree. Hence, good old Evo-Stick is now becoming 'niche'.  Like you say, get it whilst you can.....

Ian.

Hi folks - update on availability of Evo-stik in tubes.

I contacted the manufacturer via their website and got a prompt reply:

"This is still a current product that we make and should be readily available in any of our Distributors as listed below.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do come back to me.

Kind Regards

Louise Wilcox

Senior Sales Coordinator

Consumer and Construction"

So it appears to still be supplied in tubes, but strangely now only from a limited number of outlets.

I'm off to visit Jewson's later https://www.jewson.co.uk/decorating/sealants-adhesives/general-adhesives/contact-adhesive/products/CMEVO171/evo-stik-impact-adhesive-large-tube/

image.png

That's exactly what the same woman replied to me some days ago, and she quoted B&Q and Homebase in the list, but neither of them stick the tubes, only tins. Not only that, no-one at either store could give me an explanation what that was the case. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

That's exactly what the same woman replied to me some days ago, and she quoted B&Q and Homebase in the list, but neither of them stick the tubes, only tins. Not only that, no-one at either store could give me an explanation what that was the case. 

It's all very myseterious!  Particularly as the tubes are not listed on the manufacturer's website, just the tins.

Looks like we'll have to buy what we can to stock up.

3 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

It's all very myseterious!  Particularly as the tubes are not listed on the manufacturer's website, just the tins.

Looks like we'll have to buy what we can to stock up.

That's bizarre, because when I looked maybe 10 days ago, and after I'd got the email from Ms. Wilcox, I found the tubes on their site, but they did take some finding. Now they've re-hashed the site and they've vanished! 

I'm starting to smell a rat and I think I'll be replying to Ms. Wilcox.

Popped into my local Homebase (Basildon) to get some sand paper this morning. Just so happened that on the other side of the aisle were the adhesives. Low and behold Evostik in tubes. Lots on the shelf, £4.00 a tube. 

Ray

• Informative/Useful 2

been recomended to this thread as im about to start track laying, ive never used any evostick yet and didnt know about its current availability problem. ive got a tube of wilkos contact that comes in the orange tube, ive had it before, its good stuff, its just like UHU but not stringy, ill test it on an offcut of peco flexi onto a scrap of ply and get back to you