MRJ 270

drduncan

• RMweb Premium

Likewise here.

Lots of structure modelling, ancient and modern. Trevor Pott on wagon loads for Churston - different grades of coal nicely observed. Obituary for that great carriage builder, E.R.H. Francis. A very readable issue.

The managers of ExpoEM and Railex will be happy to see their shows advertised in advance!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't help thinking that if the ERG had concentrated on cardboard rolling stock and buildings, we'd be in much less of a pickle right now.

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

I can't help thinking that if the ERG had concentrated on cardboard rolling stock and buildings, we'd be in much less of a pickle right now.

Would that be the ERG that once traded from premises in Roumelia Lane, Boscombe?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Would that be the ERG that once traded from premises in Roumelia Lane, Boscombe?

I'm not that familiar with the area but in 1965 & 1966 we had familiy holidays in Bournemouth and the inevitable rainy days were brightened by visits to what I now realise was the ERG model railway.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I realise this is radical, but, there is a rumour, unsubstantiated by me due to awaiting the magazines arrival in foreign lands, that there is an advert within it's pages for an exhibition which hasn't already taken place!

Mike.

Substantiated by me a couple of posts earlier.

There are adverts for four upcoming shows on successive weekends: Epsom, Derby, ExpoEM, and Railex. The latter two also have magazine features. 

The Diary does, however, list NEWGOG on 6 April and Crawley 13/14 April.

• Informative/Useful 1

It turned up on my doormat yesterday too; and yes, another good edition.

The ERG buildings caught my eye almost at once. Clearly they were pretty expensive (if the author's father was really taking home a tenner a week at the time then for a working man he was doing pretty well, I'd have thought) but with the exception of that rather strange tree in one garden they look absolutely smashing. I wish I had a few of them!

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if (in my copy at least) the pictures illustrating the Black Lion Crossing article aren't quite severely over exposed, or at least printed that way.  Everything seems just too light - very pale grey, almost white, roads, white sky, white ballast, bright white sand by the canal. white roof on the garage, and so on.  Unfortunately it all looks a bit washed out.

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Torper said:

I do wonder if (in my copy at least) the pictures illustrating the Black Lion Crossing article aren't quite severely over exposed, or at least printed that way.  Everything seems just too light - very pale grey, almost white, roads, white sky, white ballast, bright white sand by the canal. white roof on the garage, and so on.

DT

Photos taken by a friend and sent to me privately suggest that this is not an issue with the printing or over-exposure, although light greys do generally appear lighter in photos generally.

I’ve got my copy and there is the same problem with my article 

I took photos and they are brilliant but they don’t look great in the mag, but on one page even the text looks funny as well

cheers

Roomey  

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:00, Compound2632 said:

And oh and oh forgot to mention - Wild Swan advert for LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 15 - The 'Royal Scots' - it's nearly a decade since No. 14 came out - this series was thought to be long dead.

As (I think it was) Louis B. Meyer said, "Reports of my death are premature."

Dave Hunt

Author LMS Locomotive Profiles

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roomey said:

I took photos and they are brilliant but they don’t look great in the mag, but on one page even the text looks funny as well

cheers 

If they are digital images there is always a big difference between those displayed on an electronic device screen which are RGB and backlit, and those in printed media which will have been converted to CMYK (and/or greyscales for monotone) and need to be front lit in the reading location (a good quality 'daylight' reading lamp can help). Also, very often, digital images need to be lightened to prevent them looking unacceptably dark when printed (even though they look fine on a screen).

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 3

On sale in Easons, O'Connell St, Dublin this morning.

Photos look fine to me. 

Two layouts featured:. 'Black Lion Crossing' by Geoff Kent and Stephen Williams 'Faringdon'.

Both feature beautiful models of ordinary, everyday buildings. See pages' 116 & 117 (when your copy arrives....).

Cheers,

Glover

8 hours ago, grahame said:

If they are digital images there is always a big difference between those displayed on an electronic device screen which are RGB and backlit, and those in printed media which will have been converted to CMYK (and/or greyscales for monotone) and need to be front lit in the reading location (a good quality 'daylight' reading lamp can help). Also, very often, digital images need to be lightened to prevent them looking unacceptably dark when printed (even though they look fine on a screen).

Thing is I ask and double check with them first also sent copy to a friend who is in publishing and he’s confirmed my images are fine 

also there are very funny marks all over the image of single car dmu

cheers

Dave 

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, roomey said:

Thing is I ask and double check with them first also sent copy to a friend who is in publishing and he’s confirmed my images are fine 

also there are very funny marks all over the image of single car dmu

I'm sure your photos are fine, but if they are digital they will need conversion for printing (usually done automatically) and, although it's not a problem in the process, the colours are very unlikely to exactly match the image on a backlit screen. I've no idea what the funny marks are but it could be an issue with printing affecting some copies. Why not check against other copies in other retailers.

G

• RMweb Premium

I use Amadeus for HMRS publications and have never had problems with photos appearing too light. On the other hand a book for the WRRC printed by another printer was disappointingly light throughout, even though the photos were fine on screen. So much depends on the printer's decisions about inking.

MRJ still uses 20th century printing technology and the conversion may be part of the issue, though Amadeus is usually meticulous. I am not sure why there should be marks on the DMU photo if it was provided in digital form, but there certainly are a few in my copy - though certainly not "all over". If they were not on the original and Cygnet had them them in digital form they can only have happened during printing. 

That said, from reading the text and captions of Geoff Kent's article I get the impression that he has intentionally veered on the light side for surfaces such as roads. I have sen the layout twice at exhibitions and do not remember it as particularly "light" in its overall effect.

Jonathan

London Road was photographed last year for RM by Paul Bason and MRJ by Barry Norman, both is the same venue which had good natural light and with different brands (and cost) of digital cameras.

The results, in both the originals (I  have copies of the digital files) and the published material, is quite different. The difference is possible exacerbated by the different production and house styles of the two publishers. A further set of photos, kindly taken by Tony Wright at the York show last year are  different again, although Barry's and Tony's are closer and, in my view, represent the layout colours etc. more realistically.

I only had time to have a quick chat with Geoff and look at the layout at York yesterday and feel that the MRJ photos do represent how it looked.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not only Black Lion Crossing that appears too light, it's also Station Road Faringdon. In my copy, the roads there are either very pale grey or white.  I have never seen white roads and assume that they are not white on what are excellent models.  From my - or my eyes - point of view - it seems that the printers of this edition have been unable to cope with light grey colours, although I do note that in the previous edition (No. 269) Black Lion was again (to my eyes at least) in many instances too light in colour - these pesky bright white roads again!  By way of contrast look at the "Hard Yards" and "Ambledon Station" articles in No. 269 and see how the greys seem to have come out properly so it may well be something to do with the different photographic methods and techniques as mentioned in previous posts.

DT

• Informative/Useful 1