MRJ 270

drduncan

• RMweb Premium

When I have seen Faringdon at shows, I have always thought that it has some of the most realistic scenery on the exhibition circuit.

The colour palette used is entirely convincing.

Black Lion Crossing has a similar palette and a similar quality.

I really can't imagine that Mr Kent will be commenting any time soon on here (although a couple of members of the "Retford Mob" are RMWebbers and may do so by proxy) but he has always gone for lighter colours for ground surfaces and reckons that many layouts are rather too dark.

If you are modelling a dry day, I would agree with him 100%. 

My MRJ arrived today and I would suggest that the photos of Black Lion Crossing do have a little bit too much contrast in them. The layout seen in the flesh does tend to blend together better. The reds of the brickwork are not quite so vivid and the roads are not quite as light. I don't think the photos are as dreadful as some are making out but they don't really capture the subtleties of the colouring. 

Edited by t-b-g
spelling due to dodgy keyboard!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As one of the "mob" referred to by T-B-G above, I would have to agree that Geoff does go for a lighter shade colour palette and have heard him say on occasion that road surfaces are often portrayed as being rather too dark. 

Black Lion's roads are a lighter grey, and would suggest that the double page spread picture on pages 84/5 of issue 270 is a more accurate reflection of the layout when viewed in the flesh. If you look carefully behind the railings above the platform, the road pictured there does, in my view, show the colour of the roads more accurately.

Looking out of my window, there is an area of tarmac, a drive admittedly, which is around 15 years old which has weathered to a very light colour indeed, and I think Geoff did explain his thoughts on colours very well in the article itself.

Whatever your views, it is my opinion that Black Lion Crossing is a stunning creation, by one of the most talented all round modellers currently active.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

While Mr Williams is here I'd like to thank him not just for Faringdon, but his wonderful trilogy of GWR books for Wild Swan, which I'm sure many of us have read and re-read with great appreciation whether we're building a layout or not. The carriage modelling books have also been a terrific resource.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

I've just been looking at the pictures of Faringdon in the June 2018 edition of BRM.  I should add that I don't have the paper copy, only the digital one. To my eyes at least, the BRM pictures appear both more accurate and more natural, with much greater colour depth and subtlety.  They perfectly illustrate just what a great layout it is.

My complaints are not with the layouts, both of which are excellent - they are with the rendition of the photos.  I love MRJ, subscribe to it, have every issue and even organised a set of binders to hold the magazine.  Usually MRJ and its pictures are excellent.  That's why I think it should be brought to their attention that in these two cases they could have done a bit better.

DT

Edited by Torper
Clarification

First, can I thank "Barry Ten" for his kind comments on my GWR books on branch line modelling? As an author it is always gratifying to know that one's efforts are appreciated. However, I should add that much of the praise for these volumes is due as much to Paul Karau as it is to me.   Not only did the initiative originate with him, but his excellent design skills and his almost inexhaustible supply of prototype photographs contributed significantly to the overall success of these books. I owe Paul a great debt which I am more than happy to acknowledge.

Returning to the original matter of the reproduction of photographs of Faringdon and Black Lion Crossing in MRJ 270, I can only repeat that as far as Faringdon is concerned, the printed photos are essentially a true reproduction of those that I supplied. The comparison with the photos of the same layout in BRM is, in some respect, unfair in so far as the BRM photos were taken by a professional (Andy York), with photographic lighting and then significant recourse to Photoshop (again by an expert user) to adjust matters such as the colour balance and exposure. Needless to say, each of the BRM images is a composite, built up from as many as twelve or more individual shots at differing focal lengths, to provide the depth of field. In contrast, the photos of Station Road Faringdon were taken by an amateur (me), working with whatever ambient lighting was available and with conventional F-stop/shutter speed manipulation to try to maximise depth of field and then adjusted in Photoshop by an inexpert user (me again). So in some senses "Torper" is not comparing like with like and any dissatisfaction with the photos of Faringdon in MRJ 270 really belong at my door, not Cygnet Magazines.

Stephen Williams

• Like 9

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Stephen Williams said:

In contrast, the photos of Station Road Faringdon were taken by an amateur (me), working with whatever ambient lighting was available and with conventional F-stop/shutter speed manipulation to try to maximise depth of field and then adjusted in Photoshop by an inexpert user (me again). So in some senses "Torper" is not comparing like with like and any dissatisfaction with the photos of Faringdon in MRJ 270 really belong at my door, not Cygnet Magazines.

I don't have any problems whatsoever with your pictures Stephen; it's a wonderful scene with exquisite attention to detail and meticulous execution. You captured everything that matters.

In a silly moment I thought I'd see what Google Streetview portrays the colour of the station yard as.

Farringdon_grey.jpg

R: 191

G: 185

B: 177

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I don't have any problems whatsoever with your pictures Stephen; it's a wonderful scene with exquisite attention to detail and meticulous execution. You captured everything that matters.

In a silly moment I thought I'd see what Google Streetview portrays the colour of the station yard as.

Farringdon_grey.jpg

That your grey exposure card, Andy?  ;)

Exit stage left.....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Farringdon_grey.jpg

That's only a little bit lighter than the tarmac on the road outside my house as seen on a sunny day.

It was laid 39 years ago and gets paler each year.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/04/2019 at 23:50, Barry Ten said:

While Mr Williams is here I'd like to thank him not just for Faringdon, but his wonderful trilogy of GWR books for Wild Swan, which I'm sure many of us have read and re-read with great appreciation whether we're building a layout or not. The carriage modelling books have also been a terrific resource.

I agree whole-heartedly - but while we are on the subject, is Part 3 of the coaches trilogy ever likely to roll off the press?

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Just briefly on roads again, it has just dawned on me that there is a photo of the prototype Faringdon in the artlcle. it is certainly not over exposed, as the locomotive details are quite dark, but the road is a very pale colour.

And when I compared one of the photos of Goeff Kent's roads with the one outside the window there was not a lot of difference, even on a fairly dull day.

Thank you Jason for that photo of the ERG cattle wagon. it is really a most impressive model.

Jonathan

The brief reply to Martin T is "no". When the coach modelling series was planned it was intended that Part 3 would deal with scratch-building coaches, but in the time that it took to prepare and publish Parts 1 and 2, the late David Jenkinson published his own work for Wild Swan on scratch-building coaches. Since David's approach was essentially similar to my own, Paul Karau and I felt that there was no longer a need for Part 3 and that the market for a similar book from the same publisher would probably not be commercially viable. So "The 4mm Coach" will remain as a two part work, but I can recommend David Jenkinson's book for anyone who is interested in scratch-building coaches. He was a master of the craft.

Stephen Williams

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5