Fixing loco crews in place

What's best for fixing loco crews in place in plastic-bodied 00 RTR locos semi-permanently?  Ideally, something which won't be noticeable in open-cab steam locos such as the Bachmann half-cab Midland 1F.

What kind of figure?

Ive glued figures in with plain PVA glue before.  If you dont knock it, itll stay in place fairly ok but removal is clean and doesnt leave marks.

Or if youre not afraid of drilling into the footplate, you could mount figures on pegs and then theyll be pretty sturdy.  

• RMweb Premium

Put Woodland Scenics tacky glue on the crews feet as per instructions. For tender locos I use a piece of black paper cut to shape as a fall plate and stick the figures to that. It just kind of floats between engine and tender!408459969_crew(2).JPG.40012c05ab21c4c25aabbe59a0f2e906.JPG271706632_crew(1).JPG.eb0e0741273a8d93b133c3d1d3231af4.JPG

Regards Shaun

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I use a similar method to the one above with a home made fall plate. For some of my locos I make a false cab floor and glue the crew to that. It can be held in place with a very small blob of Blu-Tak which allows you to transfer from one loco to another.

Dave R.

• Like 2

Cheers gents.  I like the fall plate/false floor idea!  And maybe it's time to fork out for some Deluxe Materials Tacky Wax, which I can probably find plenty of other uses for ...

17 hours ago, Spitfire2865 said:

...Or if you're not afraid of drilling into the footplate, you could mount figures on pegs...

Or loose on a vertical pin up the jacksie so they may both be changed and can move to the extent of turning while the loco is in motion. Saw this at a show probably in the 1970s and thought it a good way around the 'fixed permanently' problem.

I have yet to see any attempts to make arrangements to mechanise crew so that they are only on view at the leading end of diesel or electric traction, and concealed when the loco is stopped and parked. (Probably haven't looked hard enough.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spikey said:

Now that's one I hadn't thought of! 

Hi,

It works well because it just peels off if you want to change the positions. It is a bit fiddly if you are putting figures in that do not have stands. But it is not impossible.

On 04/04/2019 at 13:17, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Or loose on a vertical pin up the jacksie so they may both be changed and can move to the extent of turning while the loco is in motion. Saw this at a show probably in the 1970s and thought it a good way around the 'fixed permanently' problem.

I have yet to see any attempts to make arrangements to mechanise crew so that they are only on view at the leading end of diesel or electric traction, and concealed when the loco is stopped and parked. (Probably haven't looked hard enough.)

I think the Triang Giraffe car mechanism might work for the diesel   Or a good old mecano solenoid.   The exploding box car or mail coach mech could throw the fireman of a B17 or Nelson off the footplate at a particularly sharp curve and  motor and bell crank could make a fireman pirouette like a demented ballet dancer.  I have my firemen leaning on their shovels or working on the fire with a pricker rather tan balancing on one leg...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

...  The exploding box car or mail coach mech could throw the fireman of a B17 or Nelson off the footplate at a particularly sharp curve...

... no doubt inviting the comment "Well I knew they had ejector seats in B52s but I'm surprised they had 'em in B17s" ...

I made a sort of sub frame / false floor for my Pre ring field Hornby Dublo Castles which works well.  There does seem to be a shortage of RTR Left Handed firemen for cack handed railways but for me any crew is better than no crew at all.

I guess sticking the chaps on a spike is a good idea, that way you can have a crew in nice clean overalls on Monday morning and substitute progressively dirtier kit until they change them at the weekend.

The trouble is I am now working on an idea for a signal box window which opens and  a signalman who leans out and waves a very dirty white flag.   It would save making the signals work!