Class 69 - Return of the body snatchers?

• RMweb Gold

This article appeared on my LinkedIn feed this evening.

I thought it might be of interest and prompt some comment:-

GB Railfreight

We're happy to announce our partnership with Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company, who will be converting our Class 56's, brought last June into a new Class 69. The converted locomotives will offer additional power to help address our growing demand for heavy freight locomotives across the country, with reduced fuel consumption and greatly improved emissions. Compared with the Class 56, the reclassified Class 69 locomotives, will feature an enhanced driving cab environment as well as improved electronic control system. The first prototype is expected in May 2020 and will hopefully enable us to expand operations significantly.

I've always liked the Class 56s so it is great to see them getting a new lease of life.

Does anyone have any more details?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, plarailfan said:

Yes, the EMD facility at Longport is doing the work  https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-56-moves-from-leicester-depot.166150/ 

Seems like 56 128 had a lucky escape from Booths scrapyard after being in there for a year.

From what I’ve been told, not all Class 56’s will be converted, 56009 and 128 are basically body donors in case one of the other Class 56 body shells has issues and is unsuitable for conversion.  It’s unsure if new cabs will be fabricated or a total refurbishment will happen and the only noticeable difference will be in the roof details.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I think its a shame as they will loose all their character

Perhaps so, but if the only alternative is the cutter's torch? :umbrage:   Much better to see them operational IMHO.  :)

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

The railway gazette states ' world renowned class 66' by who exactly?  Horrible things to work on too hot in summer to cold in winter, drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow,  marginal loco brakes...... Renowned for all the wrong reasons except being cheap to build. 

The 56 has good brakes and are reasonably quiet in cabs but the GM710 will certainty drink fuel .

The 57s use more fuel than the 47 are actually less powerful and I feel this will be the same with the 69.

A full overhaul of the power unit and a rewire to modern standards in my opinion would make a far better locomotive but I know Mr smith hates the engine in 56s

I worked for GB for almost seven years

• Like 1

12 hours ago, russ p said:

The railway gazette states ' world renowned class 66' by who exactly?  Horrible things to work on too hot in summer to cold in winter, drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow,  marginal loco brakes...... Renowned for all the wrong reasons except being cheap to build. 

The 56 has good brakes and are reasonably quiet in cabs but the GM710 will certainty drink fuel .

The 57s use more fuel than the 47 are actually less powerful and I feel this will be the same with the 69.

A full overhaul of the power unit and a rewire to modern standards in my opinion would make a far better locomotive but I know Mr smith hates the engine in 56s

I worked for GB for almost seven years

Totally agree Russ.  The news says lesser fuel consumption, but does the two stroke 12-710 really consume less than the 16 RK3 ?  I don't think I have seen any figures to confirm or deny, but I believe it is suspect, unless they go into single bank every time the controller is closed. 

i also agree about the loco brakes, but if the 69s are retaining their class 56 bogie characteristics that might mitigate.  I recall being on a 56 and buffering up to same depot colleagues who were on a 66. We were easily able to push them with their brakes applied along with smiles through the windscreens.

If it is a way of extending the life of the 56 and introducing traction variation to the enthusiast then yes. However the ying ying will not be appreciated, and I hope the cab structures are not materially changed externally.  I have seen a message from someone "in the trade" who believes the 56 will not massively change "above the bogies and between the cabs".  This suggests they will be "bodysnatcher2s" !!

Have to say I am still surprised that GBRf have gone for the class 69 option instead of buying and overhauling some more of the stored class 60s.  Accepted that a proportion of GBRf traffic does not need a heavy type 5, but a fleet of "heavy 5s" such as 60s does release more 66/7s for general traffic. Perhaps the 69s will see lighter stuff such as rolling stock moves, ultimately replacing the 47s and 20s etc.    

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, russ p said:

I think its a shame as they will loose all their character

They'll gain a different character. Time will tell what that is and whether they'll be popular. 

EMDs aren't really my thing, but I have warmed to 66s over the years (never having worked with them, just as an enthusiast). Though they've got nothing on a 70, in terms of recent diesel locos. 

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Totally agree Russ.  The news says lesser fuel consumption, but does the two stroke 12-710 really consume less than the 16 RK3 ?  I don't think I have seen any figures to confirm or deny, but I believe it is suspect, unless they go into single bank every time the controller is closed. 

Which is what Mark Whitcombe has done on 56097s Ruston-Paxman lump...

C6T. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

The unpleasant operating sound made by the Class 66.

I may be a bad person but I quite like the ying ying. A few years ago the house would shake every evening as a 66 on the Avonmouth coal train got moving towards Parson Street. Nowadays we see more Class 70s.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, rka said:

What is Ying Ying?

I believe the is a chain of gears down one end of the engine which drive the turbo, and which are "in train" when the engine is above idle RPM.  However, when the engine is idling the gears also idle and produce the distinctive "ying ying", which can be annoying. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Which is what Mark Whitcombe has done on 56097s Ruston-Paxman lump...

C6T. 

That is interesting.  Has it decreased the smoky exhaust from the engine after idling for periods ? One of the characteristics of the Ruston lump was the bluey white clag - just continuing the EE trait really. 

Character doesn’t really come into. These things were economical basket cases when EWS inherited them, I remember seeing the maintenance cost in hours / v hours in traffic and it wasn’t good. Hence the preference for 66s. They must make money I’m thinking.

what I can’t fathom is this requirement for more locos. I often see GB locos sitting around doing nothing for hours/ days ? What about that 59, hardly diagrammed flat out is it ?

14 minutes ago, Mersey507003 said:

I think the 67s also make that ying ying noise aswell, no idea about the 68s as I have not actually seen 1 yet.

No the 68s don't 'Ying', a different engine for starters. They make quite an impressive 'throb' or drum when working hard, certainly easy to tell when one is approaching.

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

Anything fitted with a turbocharged EMD 710 series engine will make that sound. So 66,67 in the UK and many other locos around the world. At low revs the turbo is driven mechanically, above a certain point a clutch disconnects the drive train and the exhaust gases take over. Thus at higher revs the loco stops "yinging". 

The 59s make a similar noise, but it is lower pitched and nowhere near as painful on the ears over prolonged periods of being in earshot 

Jo

• Informative/Useful 2

This morning I had to wait at Bishopstone crossing(risboro toaylesbury) whilst the spoil train went through heading to Calvert .As it passed my other half said what a scruffy loco , it was a 66 still in EWS livery and had paint peeling everywhere  and the roof looked as though it had no paint left on it.The loco sounded awful do they all sound bad now and does anyone know what will replace them?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

No the 68s don't 'Ying', a different engine for starters. They make quite an impressive 'throb' or drum when working hard, certainly easy to tell when one is approaching.

They are also loud enough that you can hear one passing alongside the West Wycombe road, from the car during a downpour. One passed me on the way home today, and although all I could see was the roofline, I knew it was a 68.

IMO, pulling away they're a bit like a 47 with a lot of added bass....

Dave

• Like 1