Class 69 - Return of the body snatchers?

On 06/04/2019 at 21:35, Davexoc said:

The thing is, currently diesel emissions are seen as the bad boys, and this has come about because we were incentivised to switch to diesel by HMRC many years ago, because petrol emissions created too much CO2. The extra CO2 came about because we converted CO to CO2 in catalytic converters. So now with people switching back to petrol, CO2 is on the increase again.

Choice then, a few with lives lost to diesel emissions, or runaway CO2 levels possibly wiping out the human race. 

The emissions from a handful of 69s pales into insignificance against the private motor vehicle.

Agree  that the polltion of a handfull  class 69 locos  is trivial compared to millions  of diesel vehicles from BMW Mercedes Land Rover etc.

Refering to greenhouse gas pollution,  Nox is also a greenhouse gas but more severe than CO2,   scientists are saying that i gram  of Nox has the damaging effect of  upto 250 grams of CO2 in terms of greenhouse climate  damage.  Letting the motor industry loose on environmental problems is like  letting the fox build the chicken coop

Edited by Pandora

On 17/08/2020 at 15:05, John M Upton said:

Are there any pictures of the 69's anywhere or an artist's impression?

I haven't seen any but there were some photos on the wnxx news site a month or 2 ago of 69001 and you could see that broadly it will look very much class 56 like but with a 66 roof. The lights have also been replaced with the black WIPAC lights used on the later class 66s (albeit placed vertically)

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Pandora said:

Agree  that the polltion of a handfull  class 69 locos  is trivial compared to millions  of diesel vehicles from BMW Mercedes Land Rover etc.

Refering to greenhouse gas pollution,  Nox is also a greenhouse gas but more severe than CO2,   scientists are saying that i gram  of Nox has the damaging effect of  upto 250 grams of CO2 in terms of greenhouse climate  damage.  Letting the motor industry loose on environmental problems is like  letting the fox build the chicken coop

The motor industry were not let loose on environmental problems.  They responded to the artificial market conditions which were created.  If a large market for your products sets up a tax regime which favours one specification over another then any business is going to seek to exploit that by producing a range and pricing that promotes that specification.  It was a text book example of the law of unintended consequences and one of several embarrassing examples of the executive being badly advised by the Civil Service on transport matters.

• Agree 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen a pic of one of them outside at Longport. (Trying to locate a pic in the public domain......)

It shows the ends and the other side to that above.

Certainly needs a bit of filler on the bodyside to make it look smooth as well!

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Just seen a pic of one of them outside at Longport. (Trying to locate a pic in the public domain......)

Was it this one? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I still think it would have been easier to do the conversion to a 58 especially as they wanted PBL brakes which the 58 already has .

I bet the loco won't be as strong as the original 56 and a lot less interesting to drive

2 hours ago, Talltim said:

First thought was that the 58 hood could be too narrow, but it’s not structural so they could have replaced it with a  wider one.

But what condition are the remaining 58s on n?

More pertinently could they get hold of the required number of class 58s? Lots of the ones on the continent were cut up last year and the only ones in the UK are in private ownership.

The project has been going on for a while, so they may have been able to get before they were cut, if they had wanted. I wonder if the design of the 56s means that there is more height available for the new engine than there would be on top of the frames of the 58?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, 37114 said:

More pertinently could they get hold of the required number of class 58s? Lots of the ones on the continent were cut up last year and the only ones in the UK are in private ownership.

The Class 58’s that were scrapped last year are those that went to Spain though not all got chopped.  Those stored at Alizay depot in France are in poor condition, robbed of their copper wiring.

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

Back in the latter part of my railway career I worked at Barton Hill, and walked through the yard each day to and from my office. At the time Barton Hill were working on refurbishing class 37s and 56s. I'm no engineer but viewed close up I thought the class 56s were really smart with a very high standard of finish,

cheers

13 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Back in the latter part of my railway career I worked at Barton Hill, and walked through the yard each day to and from my office. At the time Barton Hill were working on refurbishing class 37s and 56s. I'm no engineer but viewed close up I thought the class 56s were really smart with a very high standard of finish,

cheers

Even the Romanian ones?

• Funny 2

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

Yes - end on it looks like a proper tin can.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Even the Romanian ones?

I could not remember the actual numbers, but a look on Flickr reminds me they were the Fertis ones,

which included 56065 and 56051.

I thought they looked very smart at the time, but I was not an engineer.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Photo of 69001 (56031) on Page 14 in the latest issue of Rail magazine. Looks a bit more civilized now it is back on its bogies!

David

Edit: Just noticed that it is the same photo as posted on Monday by Talltim. Unsurprisingly the photo is by Richard Clinnick who works for Rail!

Edited by DavidLong

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed the horns have moved , another great feature of the 56 lost. 

I seem to hate this thing more and more!

56031 was a bit of an odd ball from a drivers and instructors point of view as some cocks were in different places to the Romanian ones and the main Doncaster ones 

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I quite like it! I hope Hornby and Dapol will do a Class 69 eventually. They've got a good place to start with a chassis and CAD work that can be modified.

Does the Hornby Class 56 need a new tooled version?

I suspect, as a class of only 10 (if it gets that far) with a single owner it will be difficult to justify the tooling costs unless they end up being used in some service that modellers really want to recreate.

If they can to it as a Class 56 and Class 69 then it would seem more likely.

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Does the Hornby Class 56 need a new tooled version?

I suspect, as a class of only 10 (if it gets that far) with a single owner it will be difficult to justify the tooling costs unless they end up being used in some service that modellers really want to recreate.

If they can to it as a Class 56 and Class 69 then it would seem more likely.

Never said that they needed to re-tool the Class 56.

It's a superb model as is and if at all any improvements are to be made it's the radiator grilles that need to almost flush with the roof and it probably needs an upgrade to the DCC socket.

What I said was with CAD already in existence, it's much cheaper to modify the CAD and then have the tooling slides made to have a Class 69.