Class 69 - Return of the body snatchers?

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Aside from the (nice) exclusive of seeing it running anywhere other than the confines of Longport, if there's one thing that grinds my gears, it's the clattering away of a camera shutter next to a video.....................

Mute it and play a 66 clip at the same time lol

• Funny 2

I couldnt help but laugh at the amount of people ive seen moaning at the bodysides.

they dont seem to understand that the loco is just in primer with little filler, im sure when it goes to arlington’s it will come out looking straight.  

bet if you stripped most other locos theyd be the same 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Running on the Severn Valley Railway 

And for once all those models where you can't turn the loco tail lights off and they light up the front wagon bright red will be right...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

I couldnt help but laugh at the amount of people ive seen moaning at the bodysides.

they dont seem to understand that the loco is just in primer with little filler, im sure when it goes to arlington’s it will come out looking straight.  

bet if you stripped most other locos theyd be the same 

Even 66s have rippled bodysides.........................

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Even 66s have rippled bodysides.........................

Most things that are made of thin sheet metal and have hard working lives will do...

Its one of those "almost " unmodellable things

I only said "almost " because no doubt someone, somewhere has done it to perfection....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2020 at 03:16, MGR Hooper! said:

Never said that they needed to re-tool the Class 56.

It's a superb model as is and if at all any improvements are to be made it's the radiator grilles that need to almost flush with the roof and it probably needs an upgrade to the DCC socket.

What I said was with CAD already in existence, it's much cheaper to modify the CAD and then have the tooling slides made to have a Class 69. 

Needs a new body tool through out is my guess.. totally different roof, different cab, different body side.. you could use the chassis and the cab windows I suppose ?

A bit more to go off than a class 74 or class 88, in that the class 69 kepts its bogies.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2020 at 21:31, jools1959 said:

The Class 58’s that were scrapped last year are those that went to Spain though not all got chopped.  Those stored at Alizay depot in France are in poor condition, robbed of their copper wiring.

Not sure that matters...You only need the bogies / frames.

Theres not much inside a class 56 thats still in a 69 from the looks of it.

As there is a shortage of diesels, high emissions specs, grandfathered rebuilds look the future.

I was thinking what a rebuilt 58 could look like, my thoughts are a class 66 body profile inbetween two class 58 cabs, with a class 66 innards.

I might be wrong, but wasnt the class 58 cab controls used as the design for the 59 to appease unions/easy acceptence, and hence the starting point for the 66 ? - dont know if true, or even if it matters..

cab interior of 58 here

https://www.mattypsrailwaypics.com/class-58.html

class 66 here

https://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Rail/Miscellaneous/Interiors/66/

I wonder though, if a class 57 could someday end up as a rebuild of a rebuild...a frankenbodysnatcheduff ?

Edited by adb968008

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Theres not much inside a class 56 thats still in a 69 from the looks of it.

As there is a shortage of diesels, high emissions specs, grandfathered rebuilds look the future.

?

Still one or two on the line at Toton.

Not in the best of nick like.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

?

Still one or two on the line at Toton.

Not in the best of nick like.

Thats the nub though.. iirc they are owned by someone who inherited them from BR, on a Privatisation promise to give them up to other operators should they not be required, an aimed targetted to stoke competition... their continued retention starves other operators, until their condition is so poor they are only good for scrap, which is arguably opposite of that intention. Leaving them overseas only makes it harder, ive no idea if anything compells them to be returned, except maybe 58050,even that might only be a moral obligation.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I guess DB didn’t want to get rid of any of the Demics at this point but had they done so , the slight more modern design of the 60 may have been easier to reengineer ?

This is a very big generalisation (way bigger than locomotives), and maybe the 60s are old enough so that it doesn't apply, but often older designs of things in general are easier to reengineer due to their initial simplicity and not every component depending precisely on every other component, all integrated together throughout.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2021 at 20:07, rob D2 said:

I guess DB didn’t want to get rid of any of the Demics at this point but had they done so , the slight more modern design of the 60 may have been easier to reengineer ?

Modern technology is harder / costlier to reengineer than old mechanical stuff.

At a minimum you can just replace a mechanical interior space with modern tech gadgets.

Rebuilding Spitfires and DC3s vs an Airbus.

• RMweb Gold

The 58 would have been far easier as the 66 cab is based on the 58 one. The cab on the 69 is just a mess.

Stems from having the 59 approved by ASLEF they made the cab of it virtually identical to the then current 58. Mind whoever approved a controller which went the opposite way to everything else should have been shot!

• Agree 1

That controller was the standard EMD fit on their SD40-2. On this loco it is situated at a diagonal angle on the other side of the cab. The engineer has a swivel seat to allow for driving in either direction. When going short hood forward, the power handle is pulled backwards. On the 59 this translates to pushing the handle forward to apply power. 
I managed to talk myself into the cab of a CSX SD40-2 which was stopped on the main line in Folkston, Georgia a few years ago. Very cluttered cab for the crew of three and most of the gauges had the GE logo on them....

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some people might think its old fashioned . It basically has the shape of a 1960s 47  but as long as it does the job and its giving employment in UK good on them . I think it looks pretty good , and it'll look even better in GBRf blue .  Maybe someone can produce a model . I can't see Hornby altering their 56 . I suppose they could update their old Mainline /Railroad version but hopefully do it correctly rather than just repainting a 56 GBRf blue and calling it a 69.    Given that no ones produced an 88 yet  it maybe that a class of 10  is not viable to produce in model form . 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AMJ said:

Some of the model companies in USA design the tooling so that a changed nose and roof would be easy to incorporate with a 56 to be able to produce a 69.

A bit like an Accurascale Deltic then?

Their upcoming models have different noses and roof panels.

Edited by newbryford
typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For the sake of the surviving 56s I hope its not a great success as they will go after the rest of them. As I've said before the 58 would probably have been a better starting point 

• Agree 1