Class 69 - Return of the body snatchers?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

So how long until she's in service? (But the same could go for 001 & 002, besides the railtour haven't seen them pull a train yet)

They (001/002) are starting to get into revenue service. Flickr pics

69001 is seen at Grain (was booked to Tonbridge West Yard), with the 6Y29 12.02 Crawley New Yard to Grain working on 2-9-21. Copyright Ian Cuthbertson

69002 & 69001 - Hildenborough - 21/9/21

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Also I do apologize if I'm being a bit thick, but since some of the 56s to be be converted are Romanian built, does that mean they will look in anyway different to the UK built ones that have and will be rebuilt? If I remember correctly one said Romanian grid has the buffer beam cowling;any chance at all that it might keep it?

I think there were a  few other differences, cab windows and bodyside grille bracing were at least 2 from memory 

Compare the shape of the yellow area on the pics of 001 and 002 posted by @newbryfordup thread. The Romanian and early British machines had cast cabs with a soft rounded top to the panel under the windscreens. The later British machines had a flat line here because they were fabricated not cast. This variation is still visible on the 69s, so hopefully Bachmann have tooled to allow for this.

Jo

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2021 at 20:48, tubs01 said:

If they stay on it for long it'll be weird to see them dirty

On RHTT I think a lot of  dirt would get through those large open grills.

For a brief moment this morning, as they pulled out of Redhill, with its half yellow end, I though I was looking at a class 29.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

69003.jpg.e09e66b9b30e4299fb1f1fca4eb1dd33.jpg

I caught them heading south past the site of Hardham Junction (where the Midhurst line branched off from the Arun Valley line (Mid-Sussex line at the time)). They were running around 90 minutes behind at this point. 69003 heads 69002 forming the 0Z68 09:20 Tonbridge West Yard - Eastleigh East Yard on 5th November 2021.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Fixed Photo
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a rumour/platform end wibble circulating that 69004 will be painted in Mainline blue.

Don't think any 56s were ever painted in this scheme.

If so, then I wonder if Loadhaul and Transrail will follow.

• Informative/Useful 2

56 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There is a rumour/platform end wibble circulating that 69004 will be painted in Mainline blue.

Would be nice, shame 69001 didn't end up in Dutch departmental, was one of her previous guises as a grid. I thought that all 69s after the first two where to be plain GBRf, that's what I heard but I'm glad that I am probably wrong. If all ten end up being different liveries there's a lot to choose from of the remaining eight..

18 hours ago, newbryford said:

I don't think Mainline had any 56s did they? The 56 fleet was spread between Loadhaul and Transrail, with Mainline getting all fifty class 58s.

cheers 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

69004 out and about today on the 0Y69 09:59 Tonbridge West Yard - Eastleigh Works. Just south of Pulborough, and about 10 seconds before the sun came out from behind the cloud!

69004.jpg.81817d64ffb82f061d405ed0bbc0b845.jpg

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Fixed Photo
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...