Hornby TTS Class 66 problem

Leon

On 22/12/2020 at 06:30, pheaton said:

Its likely....the motor algorithm set on the TTS decoder is incorrect, what speed step does the judder occur at? Most juddering I have had is at slow speed, The Hornby 66 uses the same motor as my Limby class 31 and I have had to change the motor algorithm to get reasonable operation, its the same on the 8 pin Bachmann 37s and the super detail class 31s I have fitted and vitrains 37s and 47s.. in fact im yet to find a motor that TTS works perfectly with out of the box.......

Try those....

CV3=35, CV4=20, CV150=1, CV153=215, CV154=0. Also, turn off DC running in CV29 

Also.....theres an awful lot of conjecture and discussion on a lot of American modelling forums about the use of car bulbs as short protectors....the gist is while they work.....they can allow a short to persist....and whilst at low currents that's fine....at higher currents....a car bulb puts out a tremendous amount of heat.....enough to start a fire!

http://www.rr-cirkits.com/Notebook/short.html

also....might be worth bearing in mind @RAF96 is a DCC beta tester for a high profile manufacturer. Might be worth reviewing what you have said as its a bit harsh!

Was shuffling around some of my TTS class 66 decoders today, installing them in two late model Bacchy 66s (Colas 66846 and DBC 66117).  With the former I ran into problems with low speed juddering and my usual adjustment of the CV150 algorythm dod not sort it.   Then tried Pheaton’s extensive lost of CV changes as outlined above, result: running as sweet as a nut...........So thanks Pheaton. Superb advice.

to illustrate the sometimes random nature of DCC, the identical TTS decoder when straight into 66117 with no adjustments required, running smoothly.

5 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

to illustrate the sometimes random nature of DCC, the identical TTS decoder when straight into 66117 with no adjustments required, running smoothly.

The variability is in the locomotives motor, its condition/state of service,  characteristics and the drive train. 

Change Cv150 to value 1 using the Elite - Menu - loco - direct - cv - input 150, input value 1.

all done on the programming track of course.

All the rest of your fault diagnosis has no effect on motor control.