Four Wheels and a Board

Woebegone-by-sea

I've been sitting on this project for a while. My previous project 'Gone for a Burton' is, for now complete so I have decided to move further south from my local area.

Having collected allot of Oxford diecasts i've often wanted a way to include them in large quantities on a layout.  I was also inspired some time ago by the model rail article 'the cars the star' and more lately the re-run in they 'layout ideas' attachment which included car factories, having looked at a few locations and pictures, one in particular took my eye. 

This image for me included so much of interest, a great line up of cars and vehicles. Oh and of course railway wise the section saw a variety of stock! Moving everything from completed cars to steel coils. 

I found several images of the location, but struggled to see where exactly it was. The only info I could find was that it was Ford Dagenham. I looked looked through countless images of the river plant at dagenham, but could find nothing similar. After looking on Google earth I was able to pin it to the stamping/ press shop and wheel shop, which closed in 2012 and has recently been demolished.

This although originally was not part of the Ford works originally it did supply bodies and wheels to ford. In the 1950s they were bought by ford and in active use during the period I'm modeling 1970-1985. 

The yard was used for storage and loading if vehicles and the sidings at the rear supplied the wheel works/ press shop. 

So far I have built up a baseboard from a Tim horn kit. Which I have to say was very sturdy, easy and quick to build. Sadly as it's got to fit in my car it is compacted to 4' x 2' but i want to catch the important parts of the scene. 

I hope to keep you updated with the progress, any thoughts are welcome. 

bik11.jpg

p2_zps52c1825f.jpg

7961994300_70bceb8a9e_b.jpg

20190402_180923.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like a really interesting project and definitely something a bit different. Right up my street as a fan of industrial railways too! I love that prototype photograph of the diesel shunter and long take of 16t minerals :good_mini: Is it an ex-BR loco - a Drewry? Cracking stuff and I will be following with great interest. 

Nice project, I remember those articles. Fords Dagenham was massive! Not too far from where I live,  I remember driving past and seeing the railway and always wondered what when on. I'm not sure what's left now though I haven't been that way for years. Love that photo it's very atmospheric, I'm guessing it would be scrap metal carried in the wagons, do you know when it was taken? The buildings on the right look very modellable and would make a good backscene, reminds me of the scalscenes boxfile layout I've got to build.

Have you got a track plan yet? 

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 05:12, sb67 said:

Nice project, I remember those articles. Fords Dagenham was massive! Not too far from where I live,  I remember driving past and seeing the railway and always wondered what when on. I'm not sure what's left now though I haven't been that way for years. Love that photo it's very atmospheric, I'm guessing it would be scrap metal carried in the wagons, do you know when it was taken? The buildings on the right look very modellable and would make a good backscene, reminds me of the scalscenes boxfile layout I've got to build.

Have you got a track plan yet? 

Steve.

Theres still some railways left from what I can tell but not much. Yes I think it would be off cuts from the press shop. I believe this is taken in the 1980s by the styling of the cars and the colour scheme of the loco. I haven as of yet, still working on it. :)

• Agree 1

On 04/04/2019 at 01:36, south_tyne said:

Looks like a really interesting project and definitely something a bit different. Right up my street as a fan of industrial railways too! I love that prototype photograph of the diesel shunter and long take of 16t minerals :good_mini: Is it an ex-BR loco - a Drewry? Cracking stuff and I will be following with great interest. 

Yes I believe it is an 04. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I'm not one for drawing out or planning much on paper and its mostly in my head initially. So I have cracked on with the track laying and so the 'track plan's is the actual track! I have illustrated the buildings on it to. Its 4ft by 2ft, all the droppers are currently awaiting connection to the control panel/ supply. 

20190412_212535.jpg

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup
On 06/04/2019 at 15:35, Woebegone-by-sea said:

Theres still some railways left from what I can tell but not much. Yes I think it would be off cuts from the press shop. I believe this is taken in the 1980s by the styling of the cars and the colour scheme of the loco. I haven as of yet, still working on it. :)

Going by the cars which are mk5 cortinas this dates it between 79 and 82.  There is a gold estate with a brown vinyl roof which might date it towards 79?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So been a while but got quite a bit done. Had a change if heart on the track work at the front and decided more storage yard was required. So that came up and then been on buildings which are loosely based on the stamping plant and wheel shop. Buildings are constructed out of foamex, then layered with plastikard. Put the 70s/ 80s cars for a check on the numbers. I also plan to be able to change the cars for 1960s vehicles to ensure variety at different shows. Anyway on with the pictures. 

20190520_142858.jpg

20190601_163029.jpg

20190612_212024.jpg

• Like 2

Just caught up with the thread and got to say the layout is looking fantastic, really captures the atmosphere of a car plant. I like the loco's too, did you paint them yourself?

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Just caught up with the thread and got to say the layout is looking fantastic, really captures the atmosphere of a car plant. I like the loco's too, did you paint them yourself?

Steve.

Hi Steve, recently there have been a few off the shelf models ( Manchester ship canal peckett, w.t.t . Barclay) that have been close to fords colour green used in the 50s to early 70s, this has meant it's just been a case of logo removal and transfers. The 04 in the 80s colours was a body off repaint and transfers. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, yes, yes! Excellent layout and like has already been said, great to see something different.

I really think the extra storage at the front was a great idea (as much as I liked the ballasted track and fencing there previously).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now onto one of the final big buildings on the layout which is probably the most recognisable of them all I had already built the foamex section so now it's time for cladding and the different layers of paint. I had to cut out a hole to illuminate the sign. I also re purposed some Dapol windows for the upstairs locker/ mess area. 

For the I had to build a sign which along with being 3d wanted to be back lit. I wanted to emulate strip lamps behind so I cut it out as seen in the photos. I will then mount an LED at the back to illuminate it and the internals of the building. 

20190816_152220.jpg

20190816_131825.jpg

20190816_152745.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 13/04/2019 at 13:45, Guest teacupteacup said:

Going by the cars which are mk5 cortinas this dates it between 79 and 82.  There is a gold estate with a brown vinyl roof which might date it towards 79?

A fascinating concept for a layout, begs the question why nobody thought of it before now!

The Cortinas in the shot with the Drewry look more like Mk IV rather than V, they have all chrome bumpers and seem to lack the wrap round indicators, that would date it to after August 1976 when Dagenham production started and around August ‘79 when the Mk V went into production.

Will look forward to seeing this develop, any thought to using the Faller system to get some cars moving? 

I hadn't though it could be difficult as the main movement is on and off the trains or into storage. I am buying cars from the 60s too. This will allow me to to do different periods at different shows. 

The tooling plant is now painted up. Just got to make the large windows to fill the hole you see. Looking a bit more like now. 

20190817_155711.jpg

20190817_155326.jpg

20190817_155724.jpg

20190817_155904.jpg

• Like 6

On 16/08/2019 at 18:47, RANGERS said:

A fascinating concept for a layout, begs the question why nobody thought of it before now!

The Cortinas in the shot with the Drewry look more like Mk IV rather than V, they have all chrome bumpers and seem to lack the wrap round indicators, that would date it to after August 1976 when Dagenham production started and around August ‘79 when the Mk V went into production.

Will look forward to seeing this develop, any thought to using the Faller system to get some cars moving? 

I would say they were Mk4's too, I've blown the photo up as much as I can, I dont think the indicators are wrapping round to the front wings, and the grilles looks like they have the smaller slats than Mk5's.  The bumpers look chrome, could be mistaken for plastic sheeting?  

Anyway, cracking project and get rid of all the other cars and just have proper 'tinas on there, Mk3's ;-)