Dunnington, Derwent Valley Light Railway.

The soldering iron came out today and I made up a batch of DMU footsteps as a long strip, enough for the class 107 and the missing ones for the class 105.

20200214_190712.jpg.45719a7aa6eb70d159c4978ae2d03314.jpg

Just need to cut them out, tidy the ends, drill holes in the bogie sideframes and glue them in place now.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

33 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

The soldering iron came out today and I made up a batch of DMU footsteps as a long strip, enough for the class 107 and the missing ones for the class 105.

20200214_190712.jpg.45719a7aa6eb70d159c4978ae2d03314.jpg

Just need to cut them out, tidy the ends, drill holes in the bogie sideframes and glue them in place now.

Hi Martyn,

Do you do commissions ?

Gibbo.

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Do you do commissions ?

Gibbo.

Meant to post my last post on my projects page. Hey ho.

Gibbo, sadly I don't seem to have much spare time to do my own projects lately, but happy to help if I can, is it DMU steps you're after?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way you have used up the space on the trestles, might have to borrow that idea.

Layout looks great, your exhibitions are a bit far north for me. Glad I have found it on here.

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments folks.

The sawmill is more or less done.

20200305_153756.jpg.c6b2317ee27762164a9906d716c4bd65.jpg20200305_153734.jpg.65add7843ac780d758e58d0633e2da30.jpg

Strictly speaking this should be on the other side of the line, but the backscene and hidden sidings prevent this. Otherwise it's a fairly close copy of the structure, including the ripped polythene sheet walls and very basic breeze block wall. The circular saw is an old watch gear I think. There is some conjecture as to whether wood or stone was cut, so further detailing is left pending for now.

The structure also acts a partial view blocker / distraction to the scenic break / sector plate which is behind it.

I am also making some removable Sugar Beet loads for 3 elderly kit built 16T Mineral wagons rescued from my storage box. The wagons have had minor repairs and paint as needed. The loads are carved from Polystyrene, painted with cheap acrylic paint, which makes them look like chocolate brownies. The white PVA blob on top is where a small neodymium magnet has been inserted to allow easy removal, via a pen fitted with another magnet. Juweela Sugar Beet will be sprinkled onto PVA to complete, when the paint is dry.

20200305_124930.jpg.04f1be3d198f464261d3d8d91042f930.jpg20200305_162011.jpg.28e4704d3d7750827a5b94e135925611.jpg

A few other final small jobs to complete before loading the car for Rainhill show tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Like Coronach I'm much taken with the folding shelf to take up slack in the trestle. It seems so simple when explained but something I wouldn't have thought off doing until pointed out. I'm also interested to see how the sugar beet wagons turn out as I have some on my to do list for my layout.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/03/2020 at 11:40, Neil said:

Like Coronach I'm much taken with the folding shelf to take up slack in the trestle. It seems so simple when explained but something I wouldn't have thought off doing until pointed out. I'm also interested to see how the sugar beet wagons turn out as I have some on my to do list for my layout.

Thanks Neil.

The Beet loads are completed. As the idea is to easily load and remove them with the magnetic pen and being a generic fit for both Airfix/Dapol and Parkside 16T kits (with their fractionally different internal widths) they are not a particularly tight fit but look ok in use. The LNER type Steel high loads are specific to my Bachmann wagons, being shallower than the 16T version and thus a slightly better fit.

20200305_163252.jpg.17e6c2e65627e35f525b50501d31f4c6.jpg20200306_084544.jpg.0fba9a877732956ee7b02f5faaa3e77b.jpg20200306_084558.jpg.65f5acf3ffc4577e1adeb9d3a0727ee3.jpg

After a weekend of running the layout the pen system works well, even if it does involve "the great hand in the sky" to load the wagons at the loading bank.

Laminated info was added to the folding info board, with appropriate prototype photos to be added shortly. Some show flyers took the empty space temporarily!

20200307_102653.jpg.7bf7b5250fbf6aeff8bb853a53fc4308.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...

Nothing done on the layout but I decided to redo the Trackside Morris Van to better represent the BMC Van used by the Railway PW Gang in the 70s, as I wasn't happy with it.

Before:

20191125_103236.jpg.3907d7fce822574192392fd06a2f3c32.jpg

Work includes filing out front wheel arches and relocating the front axle, a new grille from plasticard and cutting behind the cab doors, with a little bending of the diecast sides to give the inset sliding door appearance; this is how it looks currently after a blast of undercoat:

20200511_121754.jpg.2b3ae2a74d0f341e7d42a413bb6565a7.jpg

20200511_121812.jpg.9b1d1dc81a7ac0e9f189cf46231baf73.jpg

Wing mirrors added from brass scraps. Very pleased with the transformation thus far.

• Like 11

About a year or so back one of you kind souls sent me a message with your own photo of (iirc) the SECR 6 wheel brake at Layerthorpe, but which included the DVLR BMC van in the shot; having gone through all my messages I'm blowed if I can find it now! Could I ask if you could re-send it if possible please?

Many thanks,

Martyn.

• 4 months later...
On 12/05/2020 at 14:40, Signaller69 said:

About a year or so back one of you kind souls sent me a message with your own photo of (iirc) the SECR 6 wheel brake at Layerthorpe, but which included the DVLR BMC van in the shot; having gone through all my messages I'm blowed if I can find it now! Could I ask if you could re-send it if possible please?

Many thanks,

Martyn.

I stumbled on this picture while searching for some pics on Flickr of Layerthorpe, I don't know if this is the one that you are referring to.

09-65  York (Layerthorpe) railway station and SECR 6 wheel full brake.

Also I hope that the OP doesn't mind me hijacking the thread for your excellent layout as when I came across these pictures I could see why you were inspired to model it.

The Derwent Valley Light Railway.

nyks - york layerthorpe goods yard dvlr 69 JL

nyks - looking away from layerthorpe dvlr 69 JL

nyks - dvlr loco shed york layerthorpe 69 JL

nyks - york layerthorpe dvlr sta looking east 69 JL

JOEM Layerthorpe Derwent Valley Rly. 8.79

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2020 at 19:56, montyburns56 said:

I stumbled on this picture while searching for some pics on Flickr of Layerthorpe, I don't know if this is the one that you are referring to.

09-65  York (Layerthorpe) railway station and SECR 6 wheel full brake.

Also I hope that the OP doesn't mind me hijacking the thread for your excellent layout as when I came across these pictures I could see why you were inspired to model it.

The Derwent Valley Light Railway.

nyks - york layerthorpe goods yard dvlr 69 JL

nyks - looking away from layerthorpe dvlr 69 JL

nyks - dvlr loco shed york layerthorpe 69 JL

nyks - york layerthorpe dvlr sta looking east 69 JL

JOEM Layerthorpe Derwent Valley Rly. 8.79

Hi Monty,

I've not been on for a few days so apologies for the late reply. Thanks for adding the photos, they are most welcome and really full of atmosphere. Layerthorpe was a fascinating place, full of modelling potential. I lived in York from 1993 to 1997 so just missed the end of operations.

It also reminded me that I hadn't posted a photo of the completed DVLR BMC Van used by the P.Way crew in the 70s. It still needs windscreen wipers adding but is otherwise complete. 

20201011_183316.jpg.1251d3170e9024be1b12808a14740942.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
Wrong dates!
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Dunnington 1971

Derwent Valley Light Railway Drewry

I have just noticed the lead grain wagon has a side board and advert but appears to either not have the BRT logo on this leading end or the wagon is so filthy it can’t be read. Does the collective on here know (a) which number the wagon is and (b) was the BRT lettering missing or just obscured by dirt and (c) was it the same on both sides?

I ask as I bought a Hornby grain wagon missing its’ stickers (and is now a VAT69 wagon as I think the 5820 number is correct for that) which  I am close to finishing off but it has not yet had the BRT lettering put back. I am now wondering if I don’t actually need to do that if the prototype was missing it.

Edited by john new
Added the wagon number 5820

10 hours ago, john new said:

I have just noticed the lead grain wagon has a side board and advert but appears to either not have the BRT logo on this leading end or the wagon is so filthy it can’t be read. Does the collective on here know (a) which number the wagon is and (b) was the BRT lettering missing or just obscured by dirt and (c) was it the same on both sides?

I ask as I bought a Hornby grain wagon missing its’ stickers (and is now a VAT69 wagon as I think the 5820 number is correct for that) which  I am close to finishing off but it has not yet had the BRT lettering put back. I am now wondering if I don’t actually need to do that if the prototype was missing it.

If you look close enough I think you can just see the red shades of the BRT logo, but the wagon is so filthy most would probably never notice the logo anyway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

If you look close enough I think you can just see the red shades of the BRT logo, but the wagon is so filthy most would probably never notice the logo anyway.

I wasn't sure,  but looking on the bigger screen on the desktop today I think I agree, Therefore, add logo, but then lather it with filth when I complete the weathering I think is the answer.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2020 at 22:09, Phil Mason said:

Although not quite up to Martyn's exemplary standards, I've started a 'lock down' project based on the DVR. I've become obsessed with the line after my son bought a house nearby. There's still a ready mix plant on the site at Osbaldwick, on which I've based the model, but I think the buildings have changed since the line closed. The rest of this 8ft 'shunting plank' will be based on Layerthorpe. 

Phil Mason. 

E56AD6DC-5EF3-4720-822C-B2436C6F54CF.jpeg

Very good.  I remember walking from Tang Hall Lane along the 'lines' to Osbaldwick and larking around the Ready Mix plant, dodging the staff.  Your model brings back memories.  There were usually a couple of Pressflow wagons in the siding but we very rarely saw a train.   Beyond the siding was Outgang Lane, which we dared ourselves to ride along passing the Gypsy caravans (and their dogs!!)

• Like 1

On 01/12/2020 at 19:45, montyburns56 said:

Dunnington 1971

Derwent Valley Light Railway Drewry

What a smashing photo, thanks for posting it! I'm intrigued as to the traffic carried in the vans behind? I would guess either bagged Grain from Yorkshire Grain Driers, or bagged vegetables from the washery perhaps. Nice variations of advertising on the BRT grain wagons too.

On 02/12/2020 at 00:46, john new said:

No idea on the number beyond 58(?)8 it would seem. I would think it's safe to bet the BRT logo is present, but filthy. As you are probably aware, advertising hoardings were apparently fairly random and did not indicate that a wagon was dedicated to that particular brand. 2 different hoardings could be found on one wagon, though how common this was I have no idea sorry. Information on these aspects seems sketchy to say the least; it is something I would like to know more about.

On 02/12/2020 at 11:45, Railfreight1998 said:

I agree, I think it highly doubtful the BRT logo would be missing at this date, but many colour photos from the period make these wagons look almost brown rather than blue due to the filth (though I think a few were actually painted brown at one time; istr Liliput and Bachmann released versions as such). It seems these earlier batches went through works to have Pedestal suspension fitted by around 1970/1 as per this wagon (the second wagon being from a later batch having this suspension from new I believe.

Thanks all.

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

A long shot - would anyone know the coach number(s) of the BR blue 57' Second class Mk.1 suburban coach(es) used for the Steam Specials in 1977? A web search has returned nothing. I wondered if it/they may have gone on to be preserved elsewhere but have found no connections from those preserved on various lines.

I have only ever seen photos of one in a DVR train but there may have been more than one used apparently - I'm guessing displaced from Kings Cross Suburban duties and loaned to the DVR by BR?

Failing that, numbers of any BR ones still in service in 1977 would be useful.

I have repainted a Bachmann coach for this role:

20210218_230541.jpg.0b274d4aa31904693edaa8ff0b1d34b6.jpg

A Roco type close coupler has been fitted to one end, with a Kadee to go at the other. With the Mk.1 BCK it is coupled to, this will form the passenger stock.

Not specifically for Dunnington, but I have almost finished building a class 100 DMU; however, the DVR Directors hired one from BR for a final run on the line in 1981 so it could justifiably appear:

20210219_170658.jpg.7f94fc13e18c818575108cf4a48a107d.jpg

I may set the layout up to have a play and do a couple of small jobs in the near future too.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...