Dunnington, Derwent Valley Light Railway.

On 05/08/2021 at 18:51, montyburns56 said:

Dunnington 1977 by KDH Archive

77 061 150577 Dunnington DVR train

77 062 150577 Dunnington DVR train

Hi Monty, only just picked this up sorry. Great photos, thanks for sharing! I have seen photos of that gorgeous saloon in the DVLR book and fancy having a go at making it one day. I had wondered about using one of the old Hornby Clerestory suburban coaches as a basis, possibly with plasticard sides; it would make an interesting challenge!

I think the Mk.1 coaches were repainted after the 1977 season into the DVLR "house colours".

*EDIT* a closer look reveals the second coach has already been repainted in the slightly more purple-blue and grey DVLR colours with gold lettering.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Monty, only just picked this up sorry. Great photos, thanks for sharing! I have seen photos of that gorgeous saloon in the DVLR book and fancy having a go at making it one day. I had wondered about using one of the old Hornby Clerestory suburban coaches as a basis, possibly with plasticard sides; it would make an interesting challenge!

I think the Mk.1 coaches were repainted after the 1977 season into the DVLR "house colours".

Martyn.

And then you'd have the fun of recreating the natural teak livery!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Monty,

Another nice selection there thankyou!

The 1964 photo of Dunnington shows the condition of the track at that time rather well. It seemed to be tidied by the end of that decade (at Dunnington anyway!) Before being gradually overtaken by weeds again towards the end of the 70s. It also shows the original platform end nearest the camera which was shortened back level with the nearest building before 1970.

Istr the 6 wheel coach at Cliff Common came from the Easingwold Railway but wasn't used as a passenger vehicle on the DVLR. I think it went for preservation.

Nice view of the cab rear of "Lord Wenlock" too, which doesn't feature in photos very often.

And the last photo shows the newly delivered ex-LNER Pigeon Brake; it clearly hasn't received its DVLR light grey paint which begs the question was it still in BR Maroon (minus any lettering evidently) at this point, or given another colour following its sale to the DVLR?

On 29/08/2021 at 18:55, montyburns56 said:

Dunnington 1964 by trainsandtravel

DVLR Dunnington station - 1

Thorganby 1964

DVLR Thorganby station

Cliff Common 1964

DVLR Cliff Common

Layerthorpe 1977 by John Law

nyks - dvr lord wenlock york layerthorpe 77 JL

nyks - york layerthorpe station buildings rail side dvr 69 JL

nyks - york layerthorpe station buildings x  van dvr 69 JL

Kind regards,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Istr the 6 wheel coach at Cliff Common came from the Easingwold Railway but wasn't used as a passenger vehicle on the DVLR. I think it went for preservation.

That is what is stated in several books regarding the stored coach at Cliff Common. Does anyone know if the coach has since been restored (and if not scrapped instead) where it is now?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

That is what is stated in several books regarding the stored coach at Cliff Common. Does anyone know if the coach has since been restored (and if not scrapped instead) where it is now?

Still a work in progress, but it's at Chasewater, according to this link.

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=880

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the low grass bank was removed, a short piece of wooden retaining wall added to the remaining bit and the hard standing touched up before adding the pallets along the backscene. 

before:

20210928_183115.jpg.e22b567d89d0f095da23827a980162d0.jpg

After:

20210928_164920.jpg.8c0e13a0de536f16d17ae9a2ce1ff3f0.jpg

If anything it looks a little more open now than before I think.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Even fairly simple jobs seem to take a while to get done lately it seems. The AEC flatbed has now been semi-permanently fixed to the layout via the aforementioned small cable ties (the smallest ones in a Poundland pack), via a pair of small holes drilled through the baseboard to each of 2 axles. It was a bit fiddly pushing the cable tie up from underneath the layout, whilst holding the vehicle in place and also persuading it to go around the mud Guard either side of each axle and back down through the second hole, but we got there in the end and it is now firmly in place.

20211005_071500.jpg.2ca485f8e371b0764d4128257a781fcf.jpg

From a low angle you can just see a small part of one cable tie behind a wheel, but on the whole it is invisible, moreso than some sort of screw fixing would have been, I think.

I shall probably use this system again in future.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn

A neat idea, but would wire food ties not be easier (if you can find any long enough)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263245366754?chn=ps&var=562241141429&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=7101533165274578&mkcid=2&itemid=562241141429_263245366754&targetid=4585169652812020&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=412354547&mkgroupid=1305120599331881&rlsatarget=pla-4585169652812020&abcId=9300541&merchantid=87779&msclkid=251b05cb51ba15e1949a64977f2c0d3d

With those you could thread the wire round the axles with the lorry upside down, poke the ends of the wire tie through the holes in the baseboard, then twist the ends of the wire tie together under the baseboard. Might be less fiddly than trying to persuade a plastic cable tie to go where it doesn't want to go.

Just a thought, and please feel free to ignore me if you have already considered it.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/09/2021 at 06:08, sb67 said:

Love those palletised grain sacks, the shrink wrapping looks great :good:

With the grain wagons having adverts, so pre 1973 when did Shrink wrapping palletised loads begin? Certainly no sign of it in my student days working at a Schweppes delivery warehouse. I remember going to an enormous young plant nursery in northern Italy in the late 1990s and they were shrink wrapping pallets and I'd never seen that before. 

I agree they do look good. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, Moxy said:

Hi Martyn

A neat idea, but would wire food ties not be easier (if you can find any long enough)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263245366754?chn=ps&var=562241141429&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=7101533165274578&mkcid=2&itemid=562241141429_263245366754&targetid=4585169652812020&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=412354547&mkgroupid=1305120599331881&rlsatarget=pla-4585169652812020&abcId=9300541&merchantid=87779&msclkid=251b05cb51ba15e1949a64977f2c0d3d

With those you could thread the wire round the axles with the lorry upside down, poke the ends of the wire tie through the holes in the baseboard, then twist the ends of the wire tie together under the baseboard. Might be less fiddly than trying to persuade a plastic cable tie to go where it doesn't want to go.

Just a thought, and please feel free to ignore me if you have already considered it.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes that would work equally well I'm sure, although the cable ties were handy at the time. I guess any reasonably strong but flexible wire would do the trick. I agree it becomes a lot easier if you can fit the wire to the vehicle and then thread it down through the holes!

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

With the grain wagons having adverts, so pre 1973 when did Shrink wrapping palletised loads begin? Certainly no sign of it in my student days working at a Schweppes delivery warehouse. I remember going to an enormous young plant nursery in northern Italy in the late 1990s and they were shrink wrapping pallets and I'd never seen that before. 

I agree they do look good. 

Paul

Hi Paul, apparently stretch wrap has been around since the 60s (in terms of bulk quantity pallet loads which went hand in hand with Supermarket warehouses etc) and was further refined in the early 70s. In terms of UK use I really don't know how widespread it's use was, but I expect loads needing protection from moisture etc (eg bagged sugar and grain) were amongst the first users. It may well be a little out of place in my setting I admit!

Thanks,

Martyn.

44 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Paul, apparently stretch wrap has been around since the 60s (in terms of bulk quantity pallet loads which went hand in hand with Supermarket warehouses etc) and was further refined in the early 70s. In terms of UK use I really don't know how widespread it's use was, but I expect loads needing protection from moisture etc (eg bagged sugar and grain) were amongst the first users. It may well be a little out of place in my setting I admit!

Thanks,

Martyn.

Going slightly down Tangent Boulevard with this anecdote, but it's area appropriate for the DVLR- a book I read years back by a journalist in the 80's investigating Britain's cold-war readiness mentioned the food concentration depots in East Yorkshire, particularly one somewhere along the DVLR (not sure which station, but I think it's mentioned in the DVLR book which I don't have to hand) where the staff got in trouble.  There were officially stockpiled long-life flour sacks for use after The Bomb dropped, but the staff were in the habit of moving sacks around by poking fingers into the sacks to give them something to hold when moving them, thus exposing the flour inside to damp and rodents, and rendering the whole stockpile useless...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

With a nod to pedantry I have reviewed your stretch wrap pallets and it seems that there is stretch wrap over the top of the stack, this would only happen if the palletised stack had been over-wrapped.

Stretch wrap is often done by hand, simply tucking an end into the pallet and then walking around the stack with some tension on the wrap until it is suitably wrapped. There are machines that do the very same automatically, either way the wrap tends not to stretch much more than six to nine inches over the top of the stack. Here is an informative American chap:

Over wrappers use a machine that draws down a polythene tube that is heat crimped as it passes over the stack before heating elements secure it.

I only know this for I stacked pallets as a Saturday Job thirty odd years ago and I have had the displeasure of repairing far more ancient over-wrappers to the above in a water bottling plant near Penrith.

Two things I should like to add are that stretch wrap is the very best way to subdue annoying colleagues by attaching them semi permanently to posts, chairs, or even to their own bicycles, and also isn't YouTube just great for such nonsense informative videos !!!

Gibbo.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, Ben B said:

Going slightly down Tangent Boulevard with this anecdote, but it's area appropriate for the DVLR- a book I read years back by a journalist in the 80's investigating Britain's cold-war readiness mentioned the food concentration depots in East Yorkshire, particularly one somewhere along the DVLR (not sure which station, but I think it's mentioned in the DVLR book which I don't have to hand) where the staff got in trouble.  There were officially stockpiled long-life flour sacks for use after The Bomb dropped, but the staff were in the habit of moving sacks around by poking fingers into the sacks to give them something to hold when moving them, thus exposing the flour inside to damp and rodents, and rendering the whole stockpile useless...

Thanks Ben, there were indeed several MOD depots served by the DVLR (including mustard gas and the Northern Command Fuel Depot) but the flour story is a new one on me!

9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

With a nod to pedantry I have reviewed your stretch wrap pallets and it seems that there is stretch wrap over the top of the stack, this would only happen if the palletised stack had been over-wrapped.

Stretch wrap is often done by hand, simply tucking an end into the pallet and then walking around the stack with some tension on the wrap until it is suitably wrapped. There are machines that do the very same automatically, either way the wrap tends not to stretch much more than six to nine inches over the top of the stack. Here is an informative American chap:

Over wrappers use a machine that draws down a polythene tube that is heat crimped as it passes over the stack before heating elements secure it.

I only know this for I stacked pallets as a Saturday Job thirty odd years ago and I have had the displeasure of repairing far more ancient over-wrappers to the above in a water bottling plant near Penrith.

Two things I should like to add are that stretch wrap is the very best way to subdue annoying colleagues by attaching them semi permanently to posts, chairs, or even to their own bicycles, and also isn't YouTube just great for such nonsense informative videos !!!

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

The clingfilm wrap was an experiment to see if it worked, as the moulded resin stacks looked like they should be wrapped. It would be fairly easy to remove it, cut a smaller piece to fit and leave the top more correctly open, but at the moment I can't be bothered if I'm honest. 

It's good that the whole shrink wrap thing has been noticed in relation to the layout's timeframe etc, you lot clearly have an eye for accuracy!

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Moxy said:

Hi Martyn

Paul

Florist's wire is perfect for this task and is available in a range of sizes.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 05/10/2021 at 21:49, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Gibbo.

In the warehouse I worked in until quite recently we always covered the top of pallets with the wrap to help prevent items being pilfered.! These were not done by a machine.

Don

• Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...

I came to the same conclusion regarding the "wrapped" pallets probably being slightly too modern for my timescale, so they have been removed and replaced with more of the smaller stacked sack pallet resin castings, along with the toned down forklift truck.20211110_155504.jpg.a85f475452ffafbbec34e55608bffa8f.jpg

The bizarre "expanded" casting has been painted and placed next to a pallet with a part casting on, which will form the basis for a cameo with some loose grain sacks and the employee responsible for the damage restacking the pallet! I have some fine flock which will be added to the pallet to represent spilled grain.

20211110_161436.jpg.a10d8bf41402f1154b3a3bff30b0e8ee.jpg

Thanks all for the input on the shrink wrapping too!

Martyn.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, doilum said:

If I recall correctly, prior to shrinkwrap sacks were secured to the pallets with a metal strap. This eventually gave way to the modern nylon types.

Here's a photo of the real thing awaiting loading at Dunnington from 1975;

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3989&page=9975

Note the DVLR (ex LNER) Pigeon Brake at the rear of the train too.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 4