Dunnington, Derwent Valley Light Railway.

14 hours ago, Ben B said:

BEN-BUCKI_LLANGOLLEN_13265_Shuttles_30_10.21_15.JPG.d2501daf15a7bbeb8a6a27c79e2277b9.JPG

Thought this might interest you; I believe that's the former DVLR Pigeon Van, now in use again on the Llangollen a few weeks ago.  Nice conversion job into a wheelchair-accessible carriage.

Thanks for the photo, yes I believe you are correct, it does ring a bell that it was at Llan, converted to the "Sunshine Coach" as it was known at the time.

Martyn.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 20:43, Signaller69 said:

Here's a photo of the real thing awaiting loading at Dunnington from 1975;

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3989&page=9975

Note the DVLR (ex LNER) Pigeon Brake at the rear of the train too.

I would be suprised if the brake van was part of the train. It didn't seem to have a use after sundries traffic ceased c.1970. After sugar beet traffic ceased it was to be found stored at Sledmere siding with the crane. It may have been just parked in the siding. This is a recent quote from facebook regarding the DVLR pallets:

"Horsley Transport bought the floorboards from the demolished Warter Priory and made pallets out of them. At the time HT were taking delivery of 120 tons of fertiliser in 1 cwt bags every day. These were transported from ICI Billingham to York then on to Dunnington on the Derwent Valley line. Each train had 12 box vans carrying 10 tons in each. Pallets meant that the trains could be emptied every day". Margaret Horsley Oct 2021.

The photograph, and others seem to confirm that the train was unloaded rapidly and the pallets loaded onto lorries later and the traffic would explain the demolition of the loading bank. I only once saw the vans at Dunnington, but I don't recall seeing any loaded pallets in the yard  (it was probably a Sunday).  The train frequency (1 a day) seems seems to be very high, though the traffic would presumaby be seasonal-traffic returns may provide clues as to how many trains there were.

• Informative/Useful 4

10 hours ago, J25 said:

I would be suprised if the brake van was part of the train. It didn't seem to have a use after sundries traffic ceased c.1970. After sugar beet traffic ceased it was to be found stored at Sledmere siding with the crane. It may have been just parked in the siding. This is a recent quote from facebook regarding the DVLR pallets:

"Horsley Transport bought the floorboards from the demolished Warter Priory and made pallets out of them. At the time HT were taking delivery of 120 tons of fertiliser in 1 cwt bags every day. These were transported from ICI Billingham to York then on to Dunnington on the Derwent Valley line. Each train had 12 box vans carrying 10 tons in each. Pallets meant that the trains could be emptied every day". Margaret Horsley Oct 2021.

The photograph, and others seem to confirm that the train was unloaded rapidly and the pallets loaded onto lorries later and the traffic would explain the demolition of the loading bank. I only once saw the vans at Dunnington, but I don't recall seeing any loaded pallets in the yard  (it was probably a Sunday).  The train frequency (1 a day) seems seems to be very high, though the traffic would presumaby be seasonal-traffic returns may provide clues as to how many trains there were.

Hello David, I hope you are keeping well.

Many thanks for the fascinating information, goes to show how easy it is to misinterpret a photo! I can't think of any other photo showing stacked pallets at Dunnington I have to say, evidently having been UNLOADED from the vans then, as it turns out; I now need to find/repaint a "Horsley Transport" lorry to take them away! A covered lorry as it's pallets perhaps?

Your comment about the Pigeon Brake makes sense. I think any van train I run to represent this traffic will be limited to 6 or 7 vans by the sector plate length, so not having the brake would help!

Much appreciated. 

Martyn.

• Like 1

A spot of testing happened today, ready for Alsager show. An intermittent frog switch on a Seep point motor was attended to by moving it sideways (the point throw pin was off vertical, thus sometimes lifting the small sprung washer which acts as the contact, out of contact with the PCB - positioning is critical with these motors I find).

Subsequent testing has been 100% succesful, so far!

A couple more agricultural items were fixed in place, along with a short section of missing fence next to Highlight Engineering's workshop (see photos).20211123_165341.jpg.4a9279b639526f197a32502a099138af.jpg

20211123_165246.jpg.c2fe8f86b58a9598e0dda4eb4e223260.jpg

A few more small jobs to do yet (scenic as well as functional) along with stock testing etc.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I love the concrete surface in that last photo, how did you get that effect? 

I cheated! It is purely a commercial HO card sheet (by Faller iirc). It looks quite reasonable but has no texture close up, so the jury is still out on it...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 26/11/2021 at 18:45, montyburns56 said:

Churchill at Yorkshire Grain Driers 1979 by Murray Liston

Churchill watching grain dry

Thanks Monty, interesting to see a photo in that direction, looks like a grounded van body just visible behind the loco.

Edit: there was originally a kickback siding alongside the wall of the Grain Driers at this point with a covered loading area at the far end of the building, where the large sliding door can just be seen.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks Monty, interesting to see a photo in that direction, looks like a grounded van body just visible behind the loco.

Martyn.

At first glance on a phone screen, I thought it was part of the loco! Obviously painted with same colour.

9 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

At first glance on a phone screen, I thought it was part of the loco! Obviously painted with same colour.

Hi Rich, I think the wagon was an ancient pre-grouping one from memory, and more a mid grey colour in service, but possibly had been repainted for use as a grounded store by this time.

Martyn. 

• Like 1

A few photos from the show today on a quick mooch around. 

Rycroft Arena, superb small space "N" scale.20211127_200106.jpg.8e2356b488e2503b325175e3e581daae.jpg

Weaver Hill, 4mm WCML with a great variety of modern stock running.

20211127_195839.jpg.8cad262d500e74303b87149021feec44.jpg

20211127_195909.jpg.78d60cee898f64499609c244714b66d0.jpg

Phil Mason's lovely "Culthwaite" S&C in "N"20211127_195738.jpg.defa7e41c126340590e235503ceb5a29.jpg

20211127_195719.jpg.d1ee6a6c7307506bb5dc3d6d87949edc.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 6

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A new OO model of Skipwith will be at the Leeds Show this year. It looks very nice and benefits from the owner spending his holidays at the station.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2022 at 08:05, Signaller69 said:

I have got around to flush glazing the Mk1 Suburban coach which was used for the DVR Steam Specials in the mid-late 70s, in order that the coach better matches the flush glazed Bachmann corridor Mk1 brake end (BCK) that it runs with. Being summer, the droplights are all open of course! SE Flushglaze was used, with the droplights cut down as required (ie one window becomes 2 open droplights).

20220730_132830.jpg.23b7cda4eea2144265e70fcea8be5467.jpgBeing a Bachmann coach with bogies predating NEM coupling pockets, the Hornby close coupler seen in the photo is screwed loosely in place with the original bogie coupling mounting screw so that the pair are reasonably close coupled. The other end has a Kadee NEM coupler mounted in the same way.

I want to tone down the layout backscenes to better represent the flat area around Dunnington in the near future.

Meanwhile here are a couple more photos taken earlier this year.20220122_131600.jpg.c7ba47d5161d6320f4d1b64401278fc8.jpg

20211110_162618.jpg.1a2f118ba34377ce67092778296da79a.jpg

20220122_132115.jpg.83f9b53a4eb8089ef8be90952c73e66f.jpg

Martyn.

Good to see some more pictures of this. Still a favourite of mine.

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2022 at 09:55, Barry O said:

A new OO model of Skipwith will be at the Leeds Show this year. It looks very nice and benefits from the owner spending his holidays at the station.

Baz

Thanks Baz, would you know if there is there a thread on here?

On 04/08/2022 at 14:12, Ramblin Rich said:

Good to see some more pictures of this. Still a favourite of mine.

Thanks Rich, I've not done as much as I could with not having any exhibitions in the near future. Nothing has so far come of a couple of tentative enquiries from late last year at any rate, but I hope to take Dunnington out again in future.

Martyn.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks Baz, would you know if there is there a thread on here?

Thanks Rich, I've not done as much as I could with not having any exhibitions in the near future. Nothing has so far come of a couple of tentative enquiries from late last year at any rate, but I hope to take Dunnington out again in future.

Martyn.

Not yet.. but the same builder is building an O gauge DVLR layout as well..

I will try and get some photos on here.

Baz

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

We have a new DVLR layout at our show in Leeds this year.. a model of Skipwith by Ken Nelson.. he used to visit family there in the summer holidays. I am getting the DVLR bug!

Enjoy your trip out with the layout.

Baz

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The layout is set up and had a bit of a clean and vac job. A few minor jobs will be undertaken before it appears at Rainhill on 26th November. I have a small list of what I want to alter, hopefully it will all get done before the show! Photos of progress will follow.20221113_010554.jpg.39c55d4ad8b4b189d202f7fd253665dd.jpg

• Like 9