Dunnington, Derwent Valley Light Railway.

I have had a further look at the photos of Dunnington. The extension to the beet loading dock was sleeper built, similar to that at Sledmere Siding. As the latter dated to the late 1920s, the extension at Dunnington may date back that far. The concrete block edge to it seems to have been put in place to allow a roadway across the siding and running line to access a concreted area between that line and the boundary fence.

• Informative/Useful 1

During testing of the uncoupling magnets it was found that some of the Model Power coupler (some of my freight stock is so fitted) trip pins weren't being attracted very well. Adding a third magnet inboard of the original 2 as shown has cured this, and made the Kadees more snappy in response too.

20190529_231033.jpg.c4744269317fd211518dd3283e2002f5.jpg

Some polystyrene landforming has been added today, a lot of cutting and shaping awaits once the PVA has cured, but this is what the layout currently looks like, not a pretty sight, courtesy of the household grocery department and anything else of weight that was to hand.....20190529_230934.jpg.df159d3f7092529689d7337db3884c9e.jpg 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J25 said:

I have had a further look at the photos of Dunnington. The extension to the beet loading dock was sleeper built, similar to that at Sledmere Siding. As the latter dated to the late 1920s, the extension at Dunnington may date back that far. The concrete block edge to it seems to have been put in place to allow a roadway across the siding and running line to access a concreted area between that line and the boundary fence.

Thanks David, was that crossing put in to access the engineering works which was built in the 70s (I think you mentioned a connection to the Grain business)? 

I'd not really noticed the beet loading dock extension you refer to, I take it the original part was brick faced with coping stones atop, with steep sloped ends as at Wheldrake and Elvington? Looking at the book, the extension does appear differently edged which I assume is the sleepering you refer to.

Thanks,

Martyn.

The access was in place by the time of the 1949 survey, the concreted area was used to store Dunn's plant in the 1950s, and may have done so earlier. The engineering works was built later on the northern edge of this area of concrete.

The loading banks were as you described-I think they were all the same length and they were designed to be used in one direction-i.e. the carts went up a 1 in 12 slope at the station building end and the empty cards exited down a 1 in 10 slope at the far end of the ramp. The sleeper edging of the extension  can be seen on one of the photos in the book, and the timber frontage can be glimpsed in front of the stabled class 04 in one of the 1971 photos.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, J25 said:

The access was in place by the time of the 1949 survey, the concreted area was used to store Dunn's plant in the 1950s, and may have done so earlier. The engineering works was built later on the northern edge of this area of concrete.

The loading banks were as you described-I think they were all the same length and they were designed to be used in one direction-i.e. the carts went up a 1 in 12 slope at the station building end and the empty cards exited down a 1 in 10 slope at the far end of the ramp. The sleeper edging of the extension  can be seen on one of the photos in the book, and the timber frontage can be glimpsed in front of the stabled class 04 in one of the 1971 photos.

Thanks, I will have another look at the photos. A photo of the 6w crane on p.139 shows a good view of a wood faced loading bank at Layerthorpe which may be of similar construction. Selective compression will need to be employed on the layout I think!

Martyn.

The caption to the photograph is misleading in that it states that the crane was "seen at Layerthorpe in July 1974" but also that the photograph dated from November 1973. What it doesn't say is that the photograph was taken at Sledmere Siding (which it was). There were no high level loading docks at Layerthorpe. This is my poor instamatic shot of the Great Central van at the same location.

VAN-SLEDMERE SIDING005.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, J25 said:

The caption to the photograph is misleading in that it states that the crane was "seen at Layerthorpe in July 1974" but also that the photograph dated from November 1973. What it doesn't say is that the photograph was taken at Sledmere Siding (which it was). There were no high level loading docks at Layerthorpe. This is my poor instamatic shot of the Great Central van at the same location.

VAN-SLEDMERE SIDING005.jpg

No wonder I couldn't place the location at Layerthorpe the photo was supposedly showing then!

That GC van looks an interesting exercise in dilapidation, thanks for sharing it. Would it have been a fish van originally? Looks a bit longer than a normal van to me, but I'm not familiar with GC wagons I have to say.

Martyn.

The backscene has had a couple of sealing coats of white emulsion and the shells of the Grain Dryers building knocked up from hardboard. The 2 parts should be parallel and much longer, but as this is essentially a micro layout a compromise had to be made to avoid it overpowering the layout and also a curve in the sloping roof, which would look worse. They will be clad with Wills sheets as appropriate.

20190531_155212.jpg.4e3c2081b94274928350e8def256204f.jpg20190531_155229.jpg.0e5417d36901665f874490dc6577d478.jpg

Clearance is tight on the Grain siding so the track may need a little rejigging here.

• Like 4

Using photos of the Stationmasters  houses at Dunnington and Wheldrake (which appear identical) I have drawn a plan to suit 4mm scale - just the front and overhead elevations - although the model will probably have to be half or 3/4 relief. Excuse the scribbled notations!

20190531_232216.jpg.38d49d51012798209fac9f3f1219ddac.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2019 at 20:21, Signaller69 said:

The Neodymium magnets have arrived from "Emagnets UK" so I have planted a few. They are of the 2mm wide, 8mm long, rod variety, advertised as having 0.13kg pull (See photo for specs etc). Placing 2 pairs opposite each other in 2mm holes near each rail with opposite polarities - to induce the magnetic field - alongside each rail seems to work well, although fairly precise positioning of wagons to be uncoupled is called for (More could be used if desired to lengthen the effective area of course). With the top of the magnets just above the bottom edge of the (code 75) rail, pull wise the effect seems about the same as a Kadee permanent magnet uncoupler and isn't so strong as to attract steel axles.

20190503_160414.jpg.58a43eed7feb276d8b3e7d1ed9935938.jpg20190503_160318.jpg.62b2efe53977d58026d9e8895bd2b708.jpg20190503_163202.jpg.d21b6c32ec8fe04747d3c524e83eb4b4.jpg

There are 3 sets of such uncouplers in this view, I doubt they will be noticed at viewing distance once ballasted and painted:

20190503_162156.jpg.33e201a0dca46b5973d3dd993cc859f0.jpg

The only problem encountered was fixing the second magnet of each pair in its hole as they are strongly attracted, tweezers helped with this and setting the heights - superglue was flooded around them once in place. As the magnets are sold in packs of 50 for less than £10 (I'm aware they may possibly be found slightly cheaper elsewhere) this will suffice for Dunnington with some left for Crinan probably, to do away with the unsightly Kadee magnets there too.

Useful tip.  The big track magnet had put me off considering kadees

• Thanks 1

A level crossing gate has been cut and shut from 2 old Triang gates with Plastruct supports and has had undercoat applied. These gates remained in situ for a good year or 2 after Dunnington became the terminus and were a good size as the road is the main York - Hull road (I think the final gates were actually welded metal tube construction; I based mine on photos from the mid 60s which appear to have been of wooden construction). They don't appear to have had any safety mesh applied, unlike many main line gates. A sleeper was fixed across the line here after closure, followed by a buffer stop when the level crossing was removed c.1973/4.

20190611_165916.jpg.a0198fdc06ebca91daf3aecd1cf54eb2.jpg

The Grain Dryers buildings have had a base coat of white spray paint prior to further painting; details like guttering, doors and the grain loading pipework mounted on the roof, will be added after painting.

20190611_165855.jpg.d1309ecb47d5163233c0f0b43672d030.jpg

The sugar beet loading bank wall, complete with wooden extension, is almost done, but may be trimmed at the right hand end which latterly seems to have ended with concrete blocks where a wooden crossing crossed the line to access an engineering plant.

20190611_165831.jpg.f14f2b1cad7083899d0856f119c9e6c5.jpg

There were also a couple of coal cells at the points end of the grain siding, these seem to have been still in situ until at least 1974, stocked with coal seemingly, but in a poor state of repair and surrounded with undergrowth. They had been rail served until Layerthorpe took over as the coal concentration depot for the area in the 60s but it is unlikely they received coal after this other than by road, unless anyone knows otherwise. Coffee stirers on a card backing have been used; distressing and painting to follow, along with adding the metal rods which seemed to keep the thing together, just. As can be seen, the cells conveniently hide a wooden block to which the backscene is screwed. A false cover of coal will be added.

20190611_165945.jpg.43475752d6b0e432efb83e086173b7e7.jpg

More soon.

Martyn.

• Like 4

Great stuff Martyn, this is really coming on. The grain dryers building definitely looks the part. I'm really enjoying following the build and the discussion on the DVR in general!

Keep up the good work :good_mini: 

David 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Things are taking shape gradually; the coal cells have been stained and foam board road infills are being added in the goods yard etc.

20190615_011131.jpg.3ce830dbfa54287e25385c3e679a3089.jpg20190615_011626.jpg.384d7c1b382428dd692ddb11c6768f05.jpg

As I can't do a lot more around the station area until I have built the Station Building, which needs to be embedded in the platform and road way etc (and thus they cannot be tackled without the building), this will be next to be built. Jeff (Tappa) has kindly assisted with the MRN plans of the DVLR station building style as built and these have been printed off; happily they match very closely the plan I had drawn based on scaling up the drawings in the DVLR book which is reassuring.

Dunnington was the most enlarged and modernised of all the station buildings by the early 70s, being used as an office by the "Highlight" grain handling equipment company (and also another Road Construction company prior to this); sadly some of the character of the original styling was lost during enlargement and the paint scheme of grey and white was not as attractive as the original green and cream, but hopefully an interesting building will result.

Construction will be largely of mounting card, with plasticard overlays for the planking around the lower walls. Windows and doors may have to be scratchbuilt using microstrip, but at least I have the dimensions, and a good selection of photos from the period; I should also like to record my thanks to David (J25) for his contributions here and with much other useful information.

Thanks all,

Martyn.

• Like 3

If you look at the photos, the tariff shed has phone lines going to it, and additional doors fitted, so was possibly an office in the seventies. I didn't answer the question about the van as I was looking to find a link to the the discussion about it on RMWEB, but I cannot find it. It was a fish van. I have the specifications for the platform, piers, etc but not here with me now-I will let you know what they are, all I can remember off hand is that the sleeper edging to the platform was 3 foot wide. There is also the loading "hump" that was added to the platform between the station building an the crossing gate in 1963-possibly in readiness for the demolition of then loading bank and extension of the siding. Incidently, Highlight Engineering Ltd, not Yorkshire Grain Driers, were the owners of Churchill.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, J25 said:

If you look at the photos, the tariff shed has phone lines going to it, and additional doors fitted, so was possibly an office in the seventies. I didn't answer the question about the van as I was looking to find a link to the the discussion about it on RMWEB, but I cannot find it. It was a fish van. I have the specifications for the platform, piers, etc but not here with me now-I will let you know what they are, all I can remember off hand is that the sleeper edging to the platform was 3 foot wide. There is also the loading "hump" that was added to the platform between the station building an the crossing gate in 1963-possibly in readiness for the demolition of then loading bank and extension of the siding. Incidently, Highlight Engineering Ltd, not Yorkshire Grain Driers, were the owners of Churchill.

Thanks for that David, platform specs would be useful, there is the drawing in Stockwell but known dimensions would be preferable if you have them. The loading hump on the platform is an interesting feature; I'm surprised they went to the trouble of refitting the platform edging when it was built, given there was no passenger service. 

The bare bones of the station building are almost there.....20190616_202206.jpg.63b85be107d390db51e852ecaa878705.jpg20190616_202224.jpg.84edaea679cb36722763170e9aac0ece.jpg

Given the space constraints, where a pagoda hut would be preferable, trust me to pick the biggest station building on the whole line! But needs must. The Stationmasters house could be tricky to fit in at the back!

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

The bare bones of the station building are almost there.....20190616_202206.jpg.63b85be107d390db51e852ecaa878705.jpg20190616_202224.jpg.84edaea679cb36722763170e9aac0ece.jpg

Given the space constraints, where a pagoda hut would be preferable, trust me to pick the biggest station building on the whole line! But needs must. The Stationmasters house could be tricky to fit in at the back!

Great start on the station building, it certainly is a very impressive structure. It's amazing how a few buildings, even in a very basic form, help to bring a layout to life and transform it from a 2d plan into a 3d model (somewhat obvious and maybe silly comment but hopefully you know what I mean!). Really enjoying the prototype discussion too, I'm learning a lot about the DVR that I did not know. 

David

4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Great start on the station building, it certainly is a very impressive structure. It's amazing how a few buildings, even in a very basic form, help to bring a layout to life and transform it from a 2d plan into a 3d model (somewhat obvious and maybe silly comment but hopefully you know what I mean!). Really enjoying the prototype discussion too, I'm learning a lot about the DVR that I did not know. 

David

Thanks David,

I have been lucky to have been given so much info by knowledgable folk, without which photos could be misinterpreted, dates confused etc. 

I knew the station building would be a fraction over a foot long, but actually putting it in its location has bought home the area it takes up, in particular regarding space behind it, which was the access road to the goods yard, with the Stationmasters house on the other side. I am now in 2 minds whether to pull the track forward in the platform by curving it slightly, just beyond the points, more towards the front corner. This will give an average of about another inch behind the station building (which may not sound much but would ease matters considerably), but will bring the track right to the front of the layout at the level crossing. Of course, I've also run out of cork now too, so will mull it over and have a fresh look after work. Hey ho.

Thanks, 

Martyn.

• Like 1

This is the platform specification from the original documents:

Platform specification - Dunnington:

Original platform length 200 foot

16 Piers

14 ft 1 ½ inches between piers

Upper (timber) element of piers: 1 ft 1 ½ inches x 1 ft 10 inches.

Brick base of pier:  1 ft 6 inches x 2 ft 2 ½ inches.

Platform was 3 ft above the rail and the edge was 2 foot 3 inches from nearside rail.

The timber edging to the platform was made up of 3 inch planks, each 3 foot long.

The platform itself was hardcore surfaced (initially) with cinders.

With platforms  situated beyond the loops, none of the major DVLR stations lend themselves to compression, length-wise.

Edited by J25
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J25 said:

This is the platform specification from the original documents:

Platform specification - Dunnington:

Original platform length 200 foot

16 Piers

14 ft 1 ½ inches between piers

Upper (timber) element of piers: 1 ft 1 ½ inches x 1 ft 10 inches.

Brick base of pier:  1 ft 6 inches x 2 ft 2 ½ inches.

Platform was 3 ft above the rail and the edge was 2 foot 3 inches from nearside rail.

The timber edging to the platform was made up of 3 inch planks, each 3 foot long.

The platform itself was hardcore surfaced (initially) with cinders.

With platforms  situated beyond the loops, none of the major DVLR stations lend themselves to compression, length-wise.

Thanks David, very useful information as always.

200ft is only a tad longer than 3 BR Mk.1 coaches, photos show the shortened platform could only just fit Joem and 2 coaches, with a third off the end of the platform. I have had to compress this a tad more, with the view that any passenger "specials" will only be 2 coaches. I concur the track plan doesn't lend itself to shortening well, but it helps with being fairly narrow and is a little different to most Branch termini. Needless to say, I am stuck with the space I have available so compromise was always going to be inevitable.

As an aside, a quick calculation shows that from the start of the Layerthorpe end of the loop to the Level Crossing end of the station was approximately 1100ft, or about 14' 6" in 4mm scale - without a fiddle yard! 

I'm hoping the plan I have adopted will still allow good operating potential, with all the key elements of Dunnington represented.

Cheers,

Martyn.

1 hour ago, timbowilts said:

Martyn, regarding the Stationmaster’s house, would it be possible to do it partially 3d and partially painted on the back-scene?

Just a suggestion

Tim T

Hi Tim,

The house is an 'L' shape, albeit not too large, but I think I may have to resort to something on those lines. I'm currently planning to model it in 3/4 relief, ie one slightly shortened arm of the 'L' sticking out at the front, with the back of the house -against the backscene- being only half depth (ie from the ridge line forward). I think this may be better than my skills at trying to blend a 3d model with a 2d painted backscene to be honest, but it could be an option if push comes to shove....

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the photographs of DVLR Platforms, the brick piers supported the cross members, so the reference to 1' 1 1/2" x 1' 10" timbers must refer to these cross-members. The dimensions of these timbers seem a little large for the job, but 1' 1 1/2" depth would seem to match up with the photos. The top line of bricks on the piers were laid  on their side The cross member and planking would account for 1' 4 1/2 inches, so the brick piers would be 1' 7" from rail level, about 5 brick courses to rail level and maybe an extra two courses to ground level.

Another traffic that is mentioned in the Stockwell book is scrap from Clancey's scrapyard at Murton. He makes mention of an occasion when Clancey's sent out 15 wagons of scrap a week during a steel shortage, but give no dates, but I do recall seeing a train of 16T mineral wagons loaded arriving at Layerthorpe. This would have been in the early seventies, but I can recall nothing else of the occasion. The loop at Murton seemed to be used solely for storage of Tankers, so any loaded wagons of scrap would have to have been hauled to Dunnington for running around.

• Informative/Useful 2