LNER Triplet Restaurant Set

• RMweb Gold

Building the Ian Kirk kit.  I know it’s not strictly accurate but it’s good fun.

A5A862BD-472B-4492-885F-565AF2047937.jpeg.9d19d3689a0e260cfc66e9acdcd17ffa.jpeg

A35C261B-018E-42AB-9699-9C257B8E9CA3.jpeg.46a0c95dde574feeebf11565a0eea833.jpeg

39DEE845-1C18-4A49-ADA8-CA8386407DAB.jpeg.75a0be79fae1307338b07ec8bc591f3d.jpeg

8A8C8C9E-2414-459B-96B5-441443D4DD2D.jpeg.695daa6de64779318ec5072879c4f339.jpeg

AFE6B5E3-E7C0-4774-B76B-89AB6BEAC6A1.jpeg.86962ab200e995ba6dfe5a8f272bfb28.jpeg

F712BC59-D08D-4716-9109-60712DD472D5.jpeg.8875ac5921ab6393cef43330d80c17ec.jpeg

8A128D02-75B1-417D-BCAA-585DE129C7ED.jpeg.96c8fc248daa27c17b21d1e3ed97e60d.jpeg

I have decided to model the coaches in BR maroon livery using Phoenix Precision paint airbrushed on.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 10

Be aware this is addictive.  You start doing a little research and end up with another two projects.  Ian was very helpful, my restaurant car spawned a semi open first and another one off to complete the three car formation. Then I came across a three coach TPO........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Kirk triplet looks to be well on its way - apart from the fact it should probably have a turnbuckle underframe is it really that inaccurate? I should mention I have one in the stash and fully intend to build it one day!

Another question if I may. Your BRC&W 104, which I assume to be a Hornby conversion, how did you paint the window frames and using what? I ask as I have a pair of these nearly done, and the only method I've found so far is using a fine permanent marker, unfortunately the colour doesn't quite match.

John.

• RMweb Premium

Beware the Kitchen Car glazing situation depending on your running era. 

Gilbert on Peterborough North has the relevant info as does Tony Wright and Mr Wealleans (above). They are always willing to help out.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The Kirk triplet looks to be well on its way - apart from the fact it should probably have a turnbuckle underframe is it really that inaccurate? I should mention I have one in the stash and fully intend to build it one day!

Another question if I may. Your BRC&W 104, which I assume to be a Hornby conversion, how did you paint the window frames and using what? I ask as I have a pair of these nearly done, and the only method I've found so far is using a fine permanent marker, unfortunately the colour doesn't quite match.

John.

Hi John,

the Kirk kit instructions explain that the the trusses are not accurate and I am happy to live with this.  They can always be changed later.

I acquired the 2-car Class 104 from eBay and added the centre coach myself.  I grafted on Bachmann DMU bogies to replace the Hornby ones.

The windows on all the coaches are SE Finecast replacement vac-formed flush glazing.  I masked and painted the centre coach window frames before cutting them from the sheet and inserting them into the window openings.  

For painting the windows and centre coach I used Phoenix rail blue enamel paint airbrushed on.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

Thanks for the gen. I did wonder if you'd changed the windows, The Hornby ones are very difficult to paint accurately because of the sharpness of the frame edges.

I'm tempted when I do my Triplet not to get too worked up about the underframe, as it won't really notice so much when whizzing round the layout!

Thanks again,

John.

Good to see someone still using something that I  made the tooling for almost forty years ago. You  have made a good job of the building and painting and the finished model owes more to your efforts than mine.   I can't remember what the instructions said but when I built them I put a folded black paper type corridor connection on each end of the kitchen car to represent the corridor connections above the articulated bogies.

best wishes,

Ian

Edited to  add;  The buffers on the corridor ends should really be clip top type.

Edited by Ian Kirk
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Many thanks.  I have to say that I have really enjoyed building this kit and have a few more of your kits waiting in the wings.

I have some paper corridor connectors waiting to be assembled and attached.  I believe the connections to the Kitchen Car were off centre.

Cheers

Darius

Very smart. 

I too have one in my box of delights, somewhere in my model room! Mine will end up in is original form to  go with my other Kirk Teaks. I need to wait until I've got somewhere to run it though, so I can make sure it'll get round whatever curves I end up with!

Very inspiring non the less!

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Kirk said:

Good to see someone still using something that I  made the tooling for almost forty years ago.

Would I be correct in thinking that the tooling for these sank into the great Coopercraft black hole?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Would I be correct in thinking that the tooling for these sank into the great Coopercraft black hole?

Do you mind, some of us were enjoying this thread  and you have to remind us. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Unfortunately yes.  When I sold the range to Colin Ashby all was well and Colin continued production.  When Colin was looking towards retirement he sold it on to Tony Brown (who had earlier bought Mailcoach Models from  me and had acquired Coopercraft) once again all was well and production continued (with Colin producing the "long" mouldings under sub contract). When Tony wanted to retire he sold the whole outfit to a gentleman in Somerset. He got all of the assets including a stock of mouldings. As far as I can tell this gentleman has not managed to produce any of the range for himself and the kits which he sold for a time a few years ago were packaged from the mouldings transferred to him. In the past I have even offered to help get production started again but this was not accepted. I now realise that the range is very unlikely to re appear and the small demand which still exists must rely on the second hand market.

Must avoid going on at length as this thread is really about Darius's Triplet build.

best wishes

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Flyingscotsmanfan said:

you have done a very nice job there. Have you tackled the interior as well?

Many thanks.  I have yet to tackle the interiors, add curtains to the 1st class restaurant coach and add the first class and smoking symbols to the relevant coach windows.

Plus, as Mallard60022 has stated above, the all-important kitchen interior complete with meals in preparation, chefs and stewards.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 1

Hi Darius, 

You have done an excellent job on the Rest Triplet set. 

Just one thing to point out, the handrails on the end of the roofs are actually Alarm gear.

I too have a set of Kirk's in the to do box, but there was no interior.  I may have enough spares.  Not sure if its going to be LNER Teak or BR Maroon.

I bought around 20 Kirk kits for A$10 each, that's about GBP6 ea. from a deceased estate.

I already have a Comet Rest Triplet Set finished in LNER teak.

Mark

IMG_2029.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Many thanks.  I have yet to tackle the interiors, add curtains to the 1st class restaurant coach and add the first class and smoking symbols to the relevant coach windows.

Plus, as Mallard60022 has stated above, the all-important kitchen interior complete with meals in preparation, chefs and stewards.

Cheers

Darius

Actually Darius I shot myself in the foot there as the Corridor side of the KC has clear windows doesn't it? Therefore there would need to be some sort of panelling inside and maybe a suitably attired Waiter in full stride complete with tray.

Lovely job by the way.

Phil 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Actually Darius I shot myself in the foot there as the Corridor side of the KC has clear windows doesn't it? Therefore there would need to be some sort of panelling inside and maybe a suitably attired Waiter in full stride complete with tray.

Lovely job by the way.

Phil 

Hi Phil

The reference photos that I looked at (Google images) showed all of the windows to the kitchen car to be obscured except one - even in BR days.  That is how I have modelled it.

Side view

The other side

Cheers

Darius