MGWR 6 wheel coaches

rue_d_etropal

Thought I should put something here.

I have been intereseted in Irish railways for many yeas, but never felt confident enough to build anything for 5ft 3in gauge. I did have a play  with idea of using 3mm scale, and even started to convert an old Triang TT Jinty, but did not get far.

Now with my 5 years designing for 3D printing, the main obstacle has been finding scale drawings, but I have found some now for the ex MGWR 6 wheel coaches, some of which as people here know were still in revenue service in the 1950s.  Although they were built in 3 different lengths it seems to be only the 30ft ones , for which I can find drawings. I have managed to cross check drawings from diffeent sources, s0 I think I am pretty close with my designs.

I am still looking at an idea for a small layout, but I want to use 16.5mm gauge track. This time I am adapting the scale to slightly bigger than 3mm/ft , so the gauge is correct. Approximately 1/97 is pretty close to3mm/ft ,so hopefully I will be able to use some 3mm scale accessories, otherwise I can always 3D print them.

Quite a big range of MGWR 6 wheelers to choose from, so started with the brake third, an all third and a Lav 1st(although it does seem to be identiucal to another drawing for a Lav 2nd). I am trying to work out exactly which one the Alphagraphix one is for a saloon 1st(and which end has the windows).

Details here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123844-more-3d-mgwr-6-wheel-coachessri-lanka-b1-steam-locoisle-of-wight-push-pull-coaches/page/20/

and via my website.

I am working on other Irish designs, assuming I can find drawings, esopecially old coaches and railcars.

I would like to find drawings for the Drumm railcars, as well as the Clayton ones(I have the LNER drawings so might be able to work them out, but there are not many photos). The GSR Sentinels look like they are exactly the same as the later ones on the LNER. I think the NCC one is same as the one that the LMS used.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...