Airbrushing Klear

• RMweb Premium

Ammonia based products are best for thinning and cleaning Klear. As it's acrylic based I wouldn't use white spirit.

See http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html for a complete guide. Old but still relavent.

The new version, milky white, does exactly the same job as the old clear version.

There's lots of video's on line regarding it.

HTH

Rob

• Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

Ammonia based products are best for thinning and cleaning Klear. As it's acrylic based I wouldn't use white spirit.

See http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html for a complete guide. Old but still relavent.

The new version, milky white, does exactly the same job as the old clear version.

There's lots of video's on line regarding it.

HTH

Rob

Many thanks Rob for that excellent link, loads of info on there.....

Regards

Ken

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are spraying it (Klear) just make sure it doesn't get on wheels and mechanisms. How do I know? spent hours polishing it off some wheels and pick ups while fitting a Zimo sound chip to an A1 pacific.. Klear is not a good conductor of electricity!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

I’m surprised to hear that anyone airbrushes klear. Its extremely viscous (assuming thats the right word for “runny” :rolleyes:) so hard to persuade brush marks to stay on it. I would expect airbrushing would cause more problems than it solves.

I’ve used it on small parts by just holding with tweezers, dunk in bath of klear, hold up to drain excess, then leave on paper towel to dry under a dust proof cover. Leaves an amazing finish. 

A simple wash over with a brush also very easy to apply well. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2019 at 03:34, Kiwi said:

I would expect airbrushing would cause more problems than it solves.

Why would you expect that? What "problems" do you expect to happen?

On 07/04/2019 at 03:34, Kiwi said:

I’m surprised to hear that anyone airbrushes klear. Its extremely viscous (assuming thats the right word for “runny” :rolleyes:) so hard to persuade brush marks to stay on it. I would expect airbrushing would cause more problems than it solves.

I’ve used it on small parts by just holding with tweezers, dunk in bath of klear, hold up to drain excess, then leave on paper towel to dry under a dust proof cover. Leaves an amazing finish. 

A simple wash over with a brush also very easy to apply well. 

No, viscous means the opposite of runny - think treacle !

Klear is eminently airbrushable.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

Why would you expect that? What "problems" do you expect to happen?

Any of the issues mentioned already in this topic. All avoidable for sure, but unnecessarily IMHO. I do plenty of airbrushing, but just don’t bother for this. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Any of the issues mentioned already in this topic.

Errrr? Perhaps you could be more specific?

The only 'problem' that I've seen mentioned here is avoiding contact with electrically conducting surfaces - which is common sense and hardly a problem.

As I usually hand brush Klear, I am aware that it is perfectly possible to create runs if the brush is inadvertently slightly overloaded.

Airbrushing Klear is no problem whatsoever.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Any of the issues mentioned already in this topic. All avoidable for sure, but unnecessarily IMHO. I do plenty of airbrushing, but just don’t bother for this. 

There is no specific Klear related "problem" or "issue" in this thread. Spraying stuff on to wheels/pickups is just careless (sorry Baz!) and as much a problem for any paint or varnish being airbrushed. It's easy to clean off dried Klear using Windolene or any amonia based product, just as easy as removing enamel or acrylic paint. Cleaning an airbrush is not an "issue" either.

I've brushed Klear and airbrushed it. With brushing I've found it's easy to flood fine detail because it so fluid. With an airbrush I have greater control of the amount applied. I'll use both techniques depending on the finish I'm after.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is careless. In the case in point it was a respected loco builder/painter. Problem is spotting the darn stuff! 

It is a warning to all who spray  varnish onto their models...best to take the chassis out before spraying or just don't spray at all.

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1