Radio controlled 00 scale tension lock coupling

wasdavetheroad

On 07/04/2019 at 09:38, Robin2 said:

Fitting a system to a loco that already has a receiver and battery is attractive - but they tend to have less free space. And you probably want the uncoupler to work at both ends.

Snipping the "lock" off the tension lock coupling might be an idea.

...R

Years ago I read an article in Railway Modeller from the Skipton and District Railway Society for their layout (Marsden), and they advocated the method for their rolling stock of having a hook on one vehicle and the bar on the other, so singling the tension lock coupler. I think the design in this thread would be a prime candidate for it, the downside is that rolling stock becomes mono directional, in that it can't be turned around within its set, but how often does that really happen?

Paul.  

Edited by Paul_sterling

2 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Years ago I read an article in Railway Modeller from the Skipton and District Railway Society for their layout (Marsden), and they advocated the method for their rolling stock of having a hook on one vehicle and the bar on the other, so singling the tension lock coupler. I think the design in this thread would be a prime candidate for it, the downside is that rolling stock becomes mono directional, in that it can't be turned around within its set, but how often does that really happen?

Paul.  

Yes, my rolling stock will end up mono directional but I think I will keep the bars on both ends to make pushing wagons more reliable.

Done some more work on the Tx27 kit but still a lot of weld er soldering to do. Now I have my modelling mojo back I have got diverted into cleaning the railway room and the track which only needs a vacuum and swift wipe over with some IPA and a lint free cloth

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

rolling stock becomes mono directional, in that it can't be turned around within its set, but how often does that really happen?

Doesn't it happen every time a train comes back from wherever it went to - instead of unrealistically coming from "London" every time you see it.

Also, it's not uncommon for layouts to have train turntables as fiddle-yards.

I can't understand why people make a huge fuss about rivets and then they don't care about a huge mechanical blooper.

...R

37 minutes ago, Robin2 said:

Doesn't it happen every time a train comes back from wherever it went to - instead of unrealistically coming from "London" every time you see it.

I can't understand why people make a huge fuss about rivets and then they don't care about a huge mechanical blooper.

...R

Yes Robin, stock does turn round, as a whole, but even on the "big railway" stock within a train does not get rotated separate to its brethren, that's the point I was making. 

With a roundaround, all that is necessary is to ensure that the end couplings of a formation are match-able to the locomotive hauling them, whether that is the engne running around (as it does at most preserved lines), or running around and being turned (so that the loco hauls the train 'front first'. 

Paul. 

1 hour ago, Robin2 said:

...R

My layout is continuous run. The only age of steam express passenger train I can think of that turns around the whole train was the Coronation Scot and apparently they did that to keep the 1st Class coaches away from the engine and its smoke. I am modelling late 50's early 60's and my two express passenger trains are almost fixed formations apart from an occasional change of catering vehicle or sticking a full brake on one end. My mainline long coal train is fixed formation as well, it runs one way loaded and the other empty. The long goods gets occasional wagon changes when I fancy a change. I don't do lots of shunting but setting down/picking up groups of wagons is useful which is why I am experimenting with vehicle mounted uncouplers. As for within the train, you can have single hook or double hook, it does not matter which as long as the end wagons match the loco

My comment was not intended to refer to vehicles in permanent rakes.

But suppose one wished to model the activity where a coach needed to be taken out of service due to a fault. That would require breaking up the train and replacing the coach with a spare which may or may not be facing in the same orientation as the rest of the rake.

...R

PS ... there used to be numbers on replies so one could easily indicate which one was being referred to.