Hi,

I'm looking at using an Express Models Kit to improve the lighting in my Bachmann 66/4.

My question is firstly, is Express Models still trading?  I've used the contact link but had no response.

Secondly, is the kit easy to fit?  I'd usually make up a replacement lighting assembly myself but if this is a replacement board that just slots in where the existing LED board is then I'll take it!

Cheers

They've recently got a new website so I wouldn't expect them to not be trading anymore.

Can't comment on ther Class 66 kit.

The 170 version requires a little hacking of the model but it fits nicely and works a treat.

The only complaint I have is the yellow side light.  While the real lights have a yellow tint, they aren't yellow.  But when I enquired about the Voyager version, they said I could potentially have different colour LEDs to be all white.  I didn't order in the end as I just fitted my own LEDs.

I'd agree with the 170, I also have the 221 version and will probably install my own LEDs into my 220.

I'm hoping the 66 kit is similar to the 170 which means the board will be a simple slot in affair.

I think I'll order one and have a look.

Cheers

To follow up,

I have tried to order but the payment process isn't working online.

I have placed the order, instead, through Coastal DCC who charge the same for the kits but with a lower postage charge.

I have also had a reply from Express Models asking me to phone them to complete payment.

Cheers

Edited by JZjr
New information

On 06 April 2019 at 13:59, JZjr said:

I also have the 221 version and will probably install my own LEDs into my 220.

FYI: I used "tower LEDs" for mine.

I can't remember if they slotted right in, but for the 156, I had to use a bit of sandpaper to slim down the pointy end of the LED so it would fit in the slot.  So long as you don't do too much and don't scrape the top edge point, it's a pretty good way of getting them to fit in the tight holes.

Also means you don't destroy the original light filters (I took mine out all together!).

Having the different lighting options with Express Models is nice, but I only use forward and back.  Not bothered about the depot option or night running.  If I'd have been confident and competent before converting my 170, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the kit.

I guess I could always convert it again and sell the kit as is.  Means I'd swap the non-motor car decoder for a cheapy Lais one to run the lights, getting a Lenz decoder back.

But then I have about 5 or 6 decoders in the box ready to use anyway, so I'm not desperate :P 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just reporting back that the Class 66 lighting kit includes replacement boards that slot in to replace the existing lighting boards, along with a replacement main board.  Note that the replacement main board does not include pickup & motor terminals, I have also added cab lights and used some veroboard to cover Motor, Pickups, Cab lights & speakers.

Currently waiting to order a LokSound for it so no photos of working lights yet, I will be pairing the LokSound with a LokPilot FX.

811164253_waitingdecoders.jpg.fb3893f63597152a072e559cd800a5d3.jpg

Cheers

Edited by JZjr
  • Like 1

I will get some photos of the boards in the next few days.

Regarding photos of the working lights and finished wiring - that might have to wait a few weeks as I am off on Holiday the week after next and have yet to order the decoder.  I will however post photos when it is done so make sure you follow the thread if you want to check back for them.

Cheers.

Edited by JZjr