Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Those of us modelling overseas - are we just as biased as 'UK ONLY' types?

I model foreign railways - first American HO, then HOn3, then O, then On30 and finally On3 - now Chinese HO.

I well remember when I took my American O gauge layout to Bristol many years ago and one of the organisers saying ' I suppose some people like this sort of thing '.

I am aware that many exhibition visitors walk past layouts like mine thinking 'Not British, no interest' or even  'Foreign rubbish!'

My initial thinking when making this OP is : Are we overseas modellers just as bad? I say that in the context of the recent Aly Paly show where is just walked past many (very nice) British themed layouts on the basis that 'I've seen that 1,000 times before in the past 50 years'.

I would like to think that that I am open minded and open to everything with regards modelling, but I fear that I am becoming just as insular as that guy in Bristol all those years ago - just the other way around!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I model 4mm Uk (00 & EM), US HO and German HO. To me a good model is a good model, regardless of its scale and gauge combination.

When it comes to shows, I look at anything that seems interesting whether it fits my particular interest or not.

steve

Hello Steve

That is the way I think we should all think. I like to think that I am very open to any new concept but that usually means overseas layouts - generally they tell me a story which I don't know

I am not proud of my current thinking regarding British layouts, it's just that I've found that attitude creeping up on me!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Sometimes something unusual or out of the ordinary is interesting although the Japanese Z gauge bullet train I saw the other day was of no interest to me......  Average regional exhibitions do tend to be OO heavy.

My take is that layouts either grab you, or they don't. I am not remotely interested in narrow gauge backwater stuff wherever in the world it may be, yet Pempoul was immediately entrancing. 'That Chinese layout' at the CMRA 2019 show fired my imagination, and I didn't see enough of the operation, due to a relative calling for assistance requiring an early departure. I have even seen a BR blue SR electric layout which was enjoyable, and normally BR blue or the tramway are instant turn offs.

I fully expect that all the other attendees similarly have their responses, which may vary very widely:

I have excellent taste in all matters,

He often fails to discriminate.

They are complete Philistines.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve always just enjoyed the modelling if the overall look attracts my attention. That might be why I have British, French, German, Czech, Portuguese, Swiss, US, Indian, Japanese and Chinese stock in my collection. 

I can walk past a layout because of my mood on that day but be entranced by it on another as our interests and moods change. 

The only issue I have is when someone feels the need to say out loud, deliberately so the operator can hear, that they dislike it because it’s foreign or GWR, that’s simply rude. 

I’ve had that with my German, Swiss, British narrow gauge layouts and even when I run diesels on Lulworth!

It also mildly amuses me when people make assumptions about the whole of my modelling based on the bit they see on that day. I have interests from finescale to tinplate clockwork so some think I take it too seriously or should take it more seriously ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7

I don't do exhibitions much, but I find that the subject location of a layout isn't that big a factor in whether I enjoy it compared to whether it's good modelling with (most importantly) good operating. Narrow gauge, British, French, American, even GWR layouts can be fun to watch (GWR might be pushing it a bit...).

The only thing I walk past without a second thought is a loco depot. I've ignored at least one American loco shed layout, even though that's my major modelling interest. I just don't find them interesting...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Teamyakima

I can only speak for myself. I very rarely take time to view layouts outside of my own railway interest. I am not being dismissive of the modelling, I just find the subject matter hard to relate to. I have a similar attitude/problem with layouts which are not the same scale as I model. I hope that makes sense, even if it is a poor excuse.

I too have many people walk past my diesel depot layouts. The first Pig Lane and Hanging Hill had scratchbuilt structures that were specific to ER sheds, scratch built figures, and locomotives so in my opinion worth viewing....."Its another 'king diesel depot".

Thank you for stopping by and introducing yourself at this years Ally Pally when I was sat behind the new Pig.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I can think of plenty of overseas models that I'd like to build- on top of the current US traction, US downtown switching at night and Cuban Sugar Mill that I'm committed to building. All largely because certain elements have piqued my interest.

The problem with me going to most shows is I rarely see the same eye candy or effect on that modeller, and what I largely see is a cold replication of a British branch line/diesel depot/standard downtown US switching that doesn't do much to take me there. Yes they tick the boxes but I can't get the emotional connection, and seem to exist only to entertain the public in seeing something move past the end of their nose for 10 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Frankly, I'd question the basic premise that British modellers are all that insular. I accept that some individuals aren't interested in overseas railways, just as some as aren't interested in diesels or narrow gauge or industrial railways; but taken as a whole, I'd want to know how many other countries can sustain a mainstream monthly modelling magazine which covers only railways from outside that country (i.e. Continental Modeller) before I'd condemn British modellers for not acknowledging foreign prototypes enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 298 said:

. . . that doesn't do much to take me there. Yes they tick the boxes but I can't get the emotional connection, 

I think that’s the core thing, we are all different and that’s why we model certain subjects, places and companies. What makes my heart beat faster is equally vulgar to another just like food ;)

The moans on here about not enough of this or that at a show are another facet of wanting it just our way. I go with the acceptance that it will be diverse and probably one or two layouts or trade will make it worth my while going. It’s more about the fun of discovering that gem and I have found plenty over the years that didn’t grab me from the listings online. 

Like Jim said we are diverse in our interests and like usual there’s a minority who ‘shout loud’ in person or online and feel they have to tell everyone else how narrow their worldview is ;)

There’s nothing wrong with not liking stuff just, walk on, but don’t be rude about it because it’s not your interest or not up to your personal standard. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

Frankly, I'd question the basic premise that British modellers are all that insular. I accept that some individuals aren't interested in overseas railways, just as some as aren't interested in diesels or narrow gauge or industrial railways; but taken as a whole, I'd want to know how many other countries can sustain a mainstream monthly modelling magazine which covers only railways from outside that country (i.e. Continental Modeller) before I'd condemn British modellers for not acknowledging foreign prototypes enough.

As the OP I would emphasise that I don't claim that all British modellers are like the guy I quoted from Bristol all those years ago - just some. The question I pose is whether we overseas modellers can be just 'as bad' the other way round.

You make a good point about the existence of Continental Modeller, but I think you'll find that CM readership is spread across the English speaking world ie I think (and I could be wrong) that a quite high percentage of CM readers live in the US, Australia, NZ etc as it is the only English language magazine covering railways where the usual language would be German, Italian, French, Dutch etc.

• Like 3

For me one of the reasons for attending, and enjoying, model railway exhibitions is precisely to see layouts outside, as well as within, my normal areas of interest, whether in terms of gauge, location or period. Two of the layouts I most liked at recent Model Rail Scotland shows were American and Dutch, and I have seen the amazing Burntisland a couple of times too; Not things I would ever consider modelling but well worth spending time on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Related to this topic, how much foreign modelling is done in the US by US modellers?  Maybe some German....?

That would seem to be borne out by the products advertised over there.

In France too, very little interest in anything over the borders. It was even very difficult selling any foreign rolling stock despite many coaches and wagons from elsewhere in the UIC operating every day in France.

Ooooh .... I don't know Joseph.

My local club accepts me with my UK outline rolling stock on their SNCF layout .... they're also quite into RM which I leave at the club once read. There's also a 15yr old who's modelling UK N gauge. A few have bought UK outline items too when shown the difference between UK prices and French ones. They're not averse to modelling other Euro rail models - but then we're not that far from Germany/Switzerland.

There is a tale to be told: I read elsewhere of a UK chap who went to his local US club taking some of his UK outline at the first time of going there and was instantly greeted with: 'You can take your Eurosh!t outta here'. Shocked I tells ye, shocked!!

Cheers,

Philip

I’ve had positive feedback displaying British light railways in P4 in Canada. Granted some of the exhibitions have been at The Great British Train Show where the theme is British to begin with but my efforts were well received at other North American themed shows even if the concept of P4 was a bit of a mystery to most.

Cheers,

David 

I model UK and US, my UK  is 1970(ish) BR(S) EMUs and such things and recently I have an LT depot with pannier tanks and suitable stock. US is HO and varied but recently it's concentrated on small layouts with little switchers. I used to have  a US roundy-roundy but it got to be too big to handle so was dismantled some years ago.

I like good modelling regardless of prototype.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the perception of US modellers is mainly based on Model Railroaders output. On the four forums I regularly use there are plenty of US, New Zealanders, Austrailians, French, Dutch, German, Japanese, Irish and various others interested and modelling UK railways :) 

• Like 1

I tend to like the unusual. I’m more familiar with Uk rail history and practice (also social history and architecture) so a British layout has to be more accurate, have a more obscure prototype, earlier period or innovative way of displaying it than a foreign layout to have the same amount of wow factor.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

and one of the organisers saying ' I suppose some people like this sort of thing '.

That used to be the case for diesel layouts.................

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 1

Surely as modellers we should be able to take inspiration from a layout based on any prototype? Whilst I model 7mm scale industrial railways I can appreciate any scale, nationality, genre or style of layout. In fact if I go to an exhibition I often seek out the different or unique, overseas prototypes or something a little different, rather than the ubiquitous 'identi-kit' layouts that can often dominate an exhibition, say 4mm scale 1950s/'60s era or blue diesel depots as two examples (no offence intended to anyone at all!). Variety is the spice of life and, whilst I do model a UK prototype, I love to see something a little more exotic!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Good modelling is good modelling, whatever the scale/gauge/era/area - or so it should be.

However there are plenty of folks out there who simply will not look at layouts that are outside their interest.

This is a mostly UK forum and most modellers model the UK, so it goes without saying that the highest number of people that will "ignore" what they don't model will walk past European/US/Asian prototypes.

There is a phrase that popped up on the US section - JAAL - just another American layout - referring to the typical inglenook switching layouts that seem to predominate the UK exhibitions  I guess this is the non-Brit equivalent of the GWR BLT..........

• Like 2
  • Agree 2