8 pin lead

garfield247

Hi all

I have a direct fit 8 pin decoder that I am trying to fit into a Hornby black 5 the 8 pin dcc ready socket is at the front off the motor.When I fit the chip (have tried two different makes) and refit the body it wont fit due to the taper in the boiler.So the question does anybody make an 8 pin extension lead with a male plug one end a female at the other so I can still use the dcc ready socket but place the chip further back in the body via the lead

Have looked on the web but cant find one or is it a case of make your own

Hope this makes sense as I am new to DCC 

Thanks Simon

Make your own I think. You could use these NEM652 as both plug and socket. Wire to the pins  at one end and you have a socket, wire the other end to the holes and you have a plug. Length to suit. You can also use ribbon cable to keep the extension cable tidy.

IMG_0314.JPG.e33550c7994dcf461ff469e5834a9587.JPG

Edited by RAF96

• RMweb Gold

8-pin decoder sockets in the loco body always mean it's a tight fit for either a wired or direct-fit decoder as you have found. Although you could make up your own extension cable, the extra two plugs and wiring may still be too bulky. I would suggest therefore using a different wired decoder instead, and re-using the direct-fit decoder in another loco where there is space. 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1

On 7 April 2019 at 20:48, garfield247 said:

Thanks for your replies I have managed to fit a gaugemaster dcc27 decoder into the smoke box a bit of a fiddle but it has gone in nicely and the locomotive runs superbly 

Glad you got it sorted. If you run into this again you can try and extend the wires very carefully soldering and using heat shrink to cover the solder joins.