Making LED lighting units for locos.

Dalesman

• RMweb Premium

To improve the Bachmann Class 45/1 I modernised about 10 years ago, I've added a hardwired Loksound v4 with Bif's sound project. Now, I also want to add LED lighting to the front ends which I've modified to the mid-1980s markers and central WIPAC headlight configuration. I have some pre-wired sunny white nano LEDS from DCC Concepts for markers and 2mm sunny white lighthouse LEDS for the headlight, along with plenty of 1K and 10K resistors. I want to make my own units to fit behind the nose using veroboard. Has anyone had success doing this? I've trawled t'internet for the past fortnight and found nothing about it !

Regards & thanks in advance,

Chris.

Phil: If you are using pre-wired LEDs  (eg with 0805  or similar / smaller smd LEDs)  then there is no need to try and fit a vero/stip board behind the lights - simply use some opaque plastic (black plasticard) and glue the LEDs in the appropriate places  ..... then bring the fine wires back to a convenient space .. and maybe make use of the veroboard there to locate and interconnect the resistors etc.

I am now setting up to re-visit some of my earlier conversions using 3mm or 2mm lighthouse or 1.8mm LEDS and to replace them with more compact installations using the readily available pre-wired options  ..... they are also small enough to do door-open marker lights.

Modern LEDs are so efficient that using such a small smd component is not a problem - its what many manufacturers are now using.

I don't recommend soldering to individual smd leds on strip board for headlights etc, as the spacing options would be too restrictive - BUT ideal for custom coach lighting  .   Hand wiring the thin leads to 1mm leds isn't my recommendation either!  ... hence I've changed to buying in pre-wired.

If coach ligthing is showing through side bodywork (eg Bachmann white plastic sides - I recommend aluminium foil, or unstretched insulation tape (stretched might shrink back in time leaving gaps)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Have a word with Jason, stickswipe on eBay he does custom lights 

here’s is a class 45 headcode type 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382749470197

he does custom work too, I’ve had a set of lights for a DBSO conversion and he also did me a Bachmann class 37 with added headlight for a non lighted early Bachmann 37 to make 37057 

can highly recommend his work 

edit, have a look at page 2 of my old workbench thread 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1

I used to wire resistors in line with each led at the point of use but recently I have standardised on a resistor board mounted conveniently amidships with wires run fore and aft from each lighting cluster to this board.

I use verostrip with smd resistors. One resistor for each led ‘leg’ and one for the power feed just to keep the current to the minimum necessary. Six in total per attached schematic. Note how the front and rear reds ‘cross over’ at their connection to the board.  This is drawn for a simple front white and rear red light - direction dependant.

IMG_0454.JPG.9e6c8e5520701c99a69bd6ea5d47ec3a.JPG

As stated you can’t use vero for the smd lights as the spacing never lines up.

I mark up a bit of paper to establish the light centres probing through the body holes, then glue the smd leds to a bit of plasticard with alignment transferred from the paper template. This is then shaped to fit snugly within the bodywork.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve managed to finish the lighting - picture of 45115 below with 1mm plastikard bases. Many thanks to you all for the ideas and encouragement. I’ll be getting the ready made ones for my Hornby 90 rebuild for Ingatestone, Jim. RAF96: good idea re the template - I can use it minus the Wipac for my 45/0 !

Thanks again and regards.

Chris. 

image.jpg