SE&CR Boat Train formations

I'm thinking about putting together an SE&CR boat train for an Urban termini layout whose notional time period spans 1910-1930 or so, but aiming towards the earlier. I would like to include an SE&CR boat train, and I see that Worsley Works include a set of etches - I was wondering if anyone had any insight onto a formation that I might be able to use? My longest platform is only long enough for five coaches plus a loco (chronologically a D, E and then L-class in  my time period, I gather?).

The etches available are:

BTK  7 Compartment

BTK 6 Compartment

BCK 5 Compartment

CK 7 1/2 Compartment

I would hypothesise that a BTK-CK-CK-BTK rake would be broadly acceptable, but I have no real idea - is there any guidance on this? I appreicate the trains would probably be much longer!

Thanks!

I've got a set of SECR wellington brown birdcage stock on pre-order (I'm modelling N - so no lake available unfortunately) - for the Pullman, this would be the right arrangement, but probably a ktichen/parlour car? http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co205818/pullman-car-company-called-topaz-railway-carriage

Would a birdcage brake just be there to sub in for one of the specific 'boat train coach' brakes? I like the fact there may be luggage in flats or vans - great detail :)

Thank you!

Boat train formations were constantly changing, but the info is in Gould's bogie coaches book.

The SE&CR tended to build specifically for these trains, but frequently updated the formations. 

When I get around to it, I'll be posting on this subject here, as the main expresses, including a number of boat trains, ran on the Sevenoaks - Tonbridge line and my period of interest (c.1905-1914) will overlap with yours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pricey, though.  If you had CAD, it could be done for less.  Indeed, better, cheaper results than Shapeways can be gained on a home printer, as Knuckles has demonstrated.

I am trying to focus my wide 1905-1914 period to 1907-1912. Thus, I intend to represent Boat Trains 1 (Folkestone) & 2 (Dover) using the 1905 Boat Train stock as the basis, as varied by the introduction of 1907-8 and 1909 Boat Train stock.  I might also consider a Dover mail for which the 1909 formation is known.  Given this, I won't have any need for the 1921 Boat Train stock and I'm afraid my musings are not really going to be relevant to the services post-Great War.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Pricey, though.  If you had CAD, it could be done for less.  Indeed, better, cheaper results than Shapeways can be gained on a home printer, as Knuckles has demonstrated.

The output from Knuckles is very good: just a light rub down and some plastic gap filling primer, plus another rub down, and you are done.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1