We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

Been doing a slight update on the backscene : a paintshopped photo of St. Margaret’s Church, added to the existing backscene I already had. The combination of painted backscene profile and photo of the Church seems to have worked well…..

E43F2957-B768-4582-B849-3AE7824EC525.jpeg

Edited by David jennings
  • Like 12

The backscene works really well David, the transition from coloured buildings through to the church photo then painted backscene adds a lot of depth to the layout. I'd like to try something similar so I'll have to look back through your thread. I'll look forward to that :)

8 hours ago, sb67 said:

The backscene works really well David, the transition from coloured buildings through to the church photo then painted backscene adds a lot of depth to the layout. I'd like to try something similar so I'll have to look back through your thread. I'll look forward to that :)

Thanks Steve . Look forward to seeing your backscene - mine was a bit of an experiment, but I’m happy how it tuned out.  I think you’ve immediately identified what it’s taken me a while to understand - that having low relief colour buildings in front of the black and white photo is key to it working. I’ve started to try something similar at the other end of the layout, where in reality the bridge crossed into an open grass  area with sidings, but with a row of terraced houses in the distance and a series of warehouses on the left. The transition from 3D colour to black and white photo doesn’t work as well there on my first attempt on the model, and I think it’s because I need a low relief, colour element before I go to the black and white. So I’ll have more of a play !! 

all the best

Dave 

3 hours ago, David jennings said:

Thanks Steve . Look forward to seeing your backscene - mine was a bit of an experiment, but I’m happy how it tuned out.  I think you’ve immediately identified what it’s taken me a while to understand - that having low relief colour buildings in front of the black and white photo is key to it working. I’ve started to try something similar at the other end of the layout, where in reality the bridge crossed into an open grass  area with sidings, but with a row of terraced houses in the distance and a series of warehouses on the left. The transition from 3D colour to black and white photo doesn’t work as well there on my first attempt on the model, and I think it’s because I need a low relief, colour element before I go to the black and white. So I’ll have more of a play !! 

all the best

Dave 

That effect has been used to fantastic effect on a 2mm layout, Copenhagen Fields where the buildings right at the back are nothing more than blocks but you never really look at them.  I'm not to sure how I could manage  it yet though as I haven't got any depth to work with, I might have to use some card cut outs and see how it looks. 

With hindsight I could have lightly sprayed or painted silhouettes on the backscene before I attached it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more fiddling - two resin rowing boats acquired from ‘e-market’. One painted as old rowing boat with a wizened old guy in the bow looking to his land- based mate to tie up. The other still work in progress - going to have an inboard engine in a box and an exhaust out through the stern as some of the old wooden  clinker boats were converted when motors were available - after WW2 at a guess ? Will moor that off the quay by the grain silo - the River Nar, and it’s reflection in the mirror will give two for the price of one! 

E813950E-B506-4692-8BC0-DAA4D2DA8E20.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Workboat number two. Sounds like an old REM song ?! Still a bit to do -‘add a tiller, a folded up cover for the boat, some lines to moor it etc. It’s not going to be moored to this bit of quayside, but as a work in progress ….

4D439278-FC68-4AE4-8C7A-9FC06A57D293.jpeg

Edited by David jennings
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Dave 

I was sorting through some colour slides at the weekend and came across these of Boal Quay and thought you may like to see them. They were taken nearly 60 years ago as you can see it was quite easy to get on the quay in those days to watch the ships unloading. I'm the one in the blue jumper.

All the best 

Simon

IMG_20211016_120417.jpg

IMG_20211016_120439.jpg

IMG_20211016_120536.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Heacham said:

Hi Dave 

I was sorting through some colour slides at the weekend and came across these of Boal Quay and thought you may like to see them. They were taken nearly 60 years ago as you can see it was quite easy to get on the quay in those days to watch the ships unloading. I'm the one in the blue jumper.

All the best 

Simon

so so grateful Simon - they’re brilliant to see !

dave 

• 3 weeks later...

Simon’s (‘Heacham’) lovely colour photos of the quay cranes (above) prompted me to go back and look again at my model. I think I recorded at the time I felt the jib was too thick to be that good a model, and these photos only confirmed that view. So I’ve constructed a new jib of much finer profile plastistruct. TBH it’s probably still too thick, but at least a lot better than mark 1 version. Still a little fettling  to do - pivot bar at the bottom and the thread at the hook, but definitely an improvement I think…..

0EB3C596-0C33-4E4A-BA29-CED8C4F97B1C.jpeg

A8074DB0-1822-479F-B346-247AF4199EA0.jpeg

• Like 12